Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon confirmed addressing my biggest Tesla software deficiency: Tight Parking/360 view

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my Model S but even after several years of driving a Model S, navigating tight parking situations is always SO stressful for me as I'm not 100% certain where the front right end of my car is. I often need to pull into places with barely literally a couple or few inches of clearance.

Pulling into tight situations is so stressful as I don't want to damage a body panel or curb a wheel. Previous cars I've owned have had 360 view and lack of 360 view is to me is the greatest deficiency with the Model S software. This one deficiency adds so much stress.

Especially given how wide the Model S is and how the ultasonic sensors stop counting down after 10 inches, I'm oftentimes sweating bullets when I have to navigate spaces with less than 10 inches of room as I have no visual view of the front right corner and the ultrasonic sensors go from useless to stress inducing by just yelling "STOP" and beeping at me since it gives up after counting down to 10 inches and starts freaking out.

Imagine my joy when I saw this tweet by Elon where they are going to make available from the B Pillar camera facing forward to help with tight parking situations

I love how the repeater cameras show a part of the car. Just like the repeater cameras, I hope the B Pillar repeater gives you some indication where the front corner of the car is so you can be certain there is some clearance/space between where the car ends and an obstacle begins.

Elon Musk on Twitter

Whenever they implement this feature, it will make things so much less stressful for those of us who have to navigate super tight parking situations and congested cities on a daily basis. Even my garage at home only has about 6 inches of clearance on one side and being able to see how much space i have will make coming home so much less stressful.

I am embarrassed at how bad I park mine sometimes (only seems to be a problem with this car), looks perfectly straight in the reverse camera and side mirrors until I open the door and.....:oops::oops:
This addition would be better than nothing at all, I know we are not going to ever get full 360 surround but I think the B pillar cameras would certainly assist for tight parks. Oh but then again being MCU1 I'll probably be told not possible due to hardware limitations.

Elon said they CAN do it, not that they WOULD do it... and sorry, using Elon's feed as a guide to features is a fools errand... ala MCU upgrade.

I am sure they will implement this soon. Have faith! :p:D

Seriously, 360 view/parking assistance has been one of the most requested features and deficiencies when compared to the software available in other cars. In fact if I can have any one feature that just about all the other cars have in my Model S, that would be 360 View or some useful form of parking assistance with the cameras for especially tight situations.

Backing up the car, I can get to within 1/2" inch of a curb as I can see what's happening with the rear view camera and side-view mirror. It's the front that I really need help with, especially considering how the parking sensors are useless just when you need them the most with less than 10" of clearance.

If they can let us see parking sensor distances down to about 6-8 inches, that also would be super useful as now after 10 inches, it starts streaming stop.

never had a 360 view so i dont know what i'm missing but I dont have trouble parking, but i also dont live in a tight parking neighborhood like San francisco or anything

Yeah if you lived in such an area you would understand why this is such a huge deal for so many of us.

The first time I had to maneuver my car in a tight space with less than 10 inches of clearance was miserable and years later the experience still isn't much better. Being able to see forward to the right of me is a huge deal for many of us who live in super congested cities with very tight parking situations.

Some of the underground parking structures in NY and Philly can barely accommodate the width of my car and many have high curbs and pillars everywhere making things even more stressful.

What really sucks about the current situation is how the ultrasonic sensors give up at 10" so when you need them the most, they are of no use. I hope the parking camera view is made available soon.

+1 even Toyota Siennas have 360 degree view now.
Yea, but you can't compare a Toyota to a Tesla, as many devoted fanboys will tell you - Tesla has the most advanced high tech features, so if Tesla doesn't have it, you don't need it (just read any of the Taycan vs. Model S comparison threads - range and FSD vaporware trump all other features). :p

• Funny
Reactions: BulldogsRus
IMG_20191221_102137.jpg
Something like this ?

As much as I'd LOVE that, I don't think the current cameras unfortunately have the visual coverage that far down.

I would gladly settle for what is to the front right side of the car ahead of me so when I have to squeeze through a space that is just a few inches wider than the car (something I unfortunately have to do several times a day) I can be sure there is space.

This would really help many of us also avoid curbing wheels.

Reactions: Thp3
Whats the point?

We will have full self driving by the end of the year and the car will park and drive itself.

Also, without a camera on the front bumper, I don't think it will be very useful.

As much as I'd LOVE that, I don't think the current cameras unfortunately have the visual coverage that far down.

I would gladly settle for what is to the front right side of the car ahead of me so when I have to squeeze through a space that is just a few inches wider than the car (something I unfortunately have to do several times a day) I can be sure there is space.

This would really help many of us also avoid curbing wheels.

I would think they could cache some of the images that cameras cannot see at all times, and essentially "replay" them as the car moves. More work, yes, but certainly doable.

Reactions: Tes La Ferrari
I would think they could cache some of the images that cameras cannot see at all times, and essentially "replay" them as the car moves. More work, yes, but certainly doable.
Think about it. "Not my fault I hit that [inser object here] officer, camera showed me all clear", because it showed an image of surroundings from when the car pulled into the spot (which could have been seconds or days ago) instead of real time.

Reactions: Matias
Think about it. "Not my fault I hit that [inser object here] officer, camera showed me all clear", because it showed an image of surroundings from when the car pulled into the spot (which could have been seconds or days ago) instead of real time.

Certainly the code would not allow images from "days ago."

But if the fromt facing camera could cache images as the car rolled forward, they would be displayed fractions of a second later.