Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Confirms 10/19 Announcement is Model 3 Part 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think it is a license thing. I actually think they are going to have an app that allows the car to find the person looking for a ride. The question at that point is how do you Uber a self driving Tesla without using the Tesla app.

I don't think they are restricting Uber usage for Tesla's with a driver behind the wheel.
My understanding is that this will be possible and permissible through the Tesla app. If you're picking up a friend once or twice a week, or even daily, I'm sure that's fine. If you're picking up 14 friends per day and constantly Supercharging, your behavior will clearly match that of an Uber driver and Tesla will follow through on their fine print.

Really?!? At the risk of igniting another "Do you really own it if you can't mod it" debate, you see nothing wrong with Tesla (potentially) dictating how you may use the car that you own? If it's titled in your name, it's nobody's business (certainly not Tesla's) where you drive it, who rides with you, if the car drives itself or you drive it, and who pays you for it's use.

I think that would be a dangerous precedent, even if it makes financial sense for the company (which it clearly would). That's why I called it "insidious".
I see several things wrong w/Tesla dictating how we can and cannot use our cars. I'm just conceding that this is the correct business decision. Putting Uber, Lyft, Didi, etc. out of business also accelerates the transition to sustainable transportation.

The video of the Model X driving itself only really concerned me at one point -- the entry/exit from the parking lot. There was a solid yellow center dividing line that the car ignored entirely both on the way into and out of the parking lot. It was rather hogging the pavement at that point. I'm certain that far too many human beings take the turn in exactly that kind of lazy fashion. I'd hope that Autopilot/Autonomous would adjust to do a better job. Because it is lazy turns that lead to a lot of accidents, I'm sure. I'm the only person I know that signals turns while in parking lots. It would be nice if the car does that too. I'll have to see the video again to find out if the Autonomous Model X did or not.
It's probably those exact lazy Tesla drivers who taught this MX to drive like that.

• Funny
Reactions: Red Sage