TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Elon Confirms 10/19 Announcement is Model 3 Part 2

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by CaptainScavo, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Patrick W

Patrick W Active Member

• Informative x 1
  2. N5329K

N5329K Active Member

"automatic emergency breaking"
    So if the radar detects a threat, it activates a guillotine that automatically cuts the power feed to the motor?
    Robin

• Funny x 2
  3. Jayc

Jayc Member

Hmm THAT was Model 3 reveal pt 2?

4. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

It was the 'obvious thing'.

• Like x 3
  5. jsrawa

jsrawa Member

Great news but many saw it coming. We are still left with a lot of unanswered questions concerning the 3....

• Like x 2
  6. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

So not Model 3 Part 2 after all. Only "alludes" to Model 3 Part 2 in the sense that TeslaVision hardware will be available on the 3 as well as S/X going forward, and that this was something that wasn't previously announced in Model 3 Part 1 back on March 31.

7. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Tesla hasn't been able to consistently autonomously park their cars without crashing into things. I'll consider this vaporware until they've actually got driverless cars running about. I'll keep driving my 2012 S in the mean time.

• Like x 2
  8. MiamiNole

MiamiNole Member

"While this is occurring, Teslas with new hardware will temporarily lack certain features currently available on Teslas with first-generation Autopilot hardware, including some standard safety features such as automatic emergency breaking, collision warning, lane holding and active cruise control."

Those features better be available by the time the Model 3 hits production or that will be a HUGE negative. These are some of the main reasons I want a Tesla.

9. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

Not a single care for anything autonomous. I am a functioning human being. No need for that useless stuff. Blah

• Like x 3
  10. Bennny

Bennny Member

I really feel for those who have just taken delivery of an S without this capability. Instant devaluation?

11. Whistle2Whine

Whistle2Whine Member

I'm unbotheted. My new S is leased and my use cases for autopilot 1.0 are already limited

• Like x 2
  12. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Elon Musk on Model 3 announcement: "Psych!"

• Funny x 3
  13. cman8

cman8 Member

My wifes M3 will have the hardware, And I will most likely be upgrading my S in the near future. Although I would love to keep all of them!

• Like x 1
  14. somnambule

somnambule Member

I hope those features will be available well before Model 3 launch. Otherwise, people buying an S or X in the near future will be without auto steer, AEB etc. for over a year. Maybe that's the price of getting the latest hardware but it seems like a long time to wait.

15. wallet.dat

wallet.dat Member

Some people enjoy picking up and actually playing a guitar, while others prefer to just press "Play" on their phone. I guess we fall into the former category. It's still nice to have the option though :)

• Like x 1
  16. tkizzy

tkizzy Member

I'm thinking there has to be another part to model 3... we still have no idea about performance versions etc

17. somnambule

somnambule Member

Interesting. I wonder where the side- and rear-facing cameras are mounted.

18. sg021

sg021 Member

It probably depends on how long you are keeping the vehicle. It'll take time for all this to be enabled, and the price is much higher now. $5,000 for autopilot plus another $3,000 for full self driving according to the online configurator. Version 1 was only $2,500 as recently as a month or so ago.

19. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

the pricing is up on the Model S page.

"enhanced Autopilot" -$3,000
    "full self-driving capability"- $5,000 (on top of the $3,000)

so $8K

• Disagree x 1
  20. Theshadows

Theshadows Active Member

What will be the new terms now. Does that mean our "Classic" is now an "Antique" and the current AP cars will become "classics"?