TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Elon Confirms 10/19 Announcement is Model 3 Part 2

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by CaptainScavo, Oct 19, 2016.

1. jsrawa

jsrawa Member

Yeah and if you go for self driving on a base model 3 your talking about an option that costs about a quarter of the cost of the vehicle.

2. Johan

Johan Funds for M3 secured. Contingent on wife aproval.

It's not gonna be $8k. That's with the premium multiplier of S/X.

• Like x 1
  3. david_42

david_42 Member

"automatic emergency breaking, collision warning, lane holding and active cruise control."

These are all we are interested in. The Model 3 will be my wife's commuter and these safety functions will vastly improve her commute or at least reduce the stress. The freeway she has to drive is jammed in the evenings.

4. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

I don't know if I agree. You're talking about the same product with the same benefits. I'm far from an expert in this, but is there a precedent where a manufacturer offers the same stereo on two models, but one is discounted because it's a cheaper base model vehicle? From what I can remember, it seems like they tweak the offering to change the pricing.

To me, it would be weird to charge 8k for full autonomy on a base Model S, but 5k for a Model 3, especially if it includes the same sensor suite and software.

5. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

seeing you are S. of Ptld, I feel your pain, being stuck in similar traffic downtown to N. of Ptld morning and night ;/

6. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

I think many think the options will be priced less on the Model ☰ when EM mentioned the dual motor option would be less than $5k.

• Like x 1
  7. eisbock

eisbock Member

Thing is, a dual motor on a 3 will not be the exact same thing as a dual motor on an S. The S motor will be more powerful and more expensive, so it will cost more.

People who think the add-ons to the 3 will be cheaper than the S solely because it's a cheaper car are crazy. If it costs less, it'll be a byproduct of the car's construction (air suspension could be less expensive because the car weighs less) or restricted in some way (sound upgrade uses less expensive speakers). I can see them eliminating features from packages or dumbing them down to bring price down. e.g. premium upgrade doesn't come with ventilated seats or dynamic LED. Maybe the seat warming tech isn't as advanced for the subzero upgrade.

If the Autopilot price comes down, it will on the S as well. It'll be hard to justify to the public that you can get the same autonomous experience for cheaper simply because you bought a cheaper car. It'd be a disservice to the S buyers who are the sole reason you're even in a position to own a Model 3. I'm quite interested to see how the Autopilot experience plays out for the 3.

$35k base + $8k Autopilot is already more than the average asking price Elon quoted at $42k. Maybe Autopilot will be further broken down by feature? e.g. you can purchase autoparking or summon for $500 a pop. Probably not though.

That said, I have no doubt that the options on the 3 will be priced cheaper, but there's a much better chance of that meaning they won't be "as good" as they are on the S rather than cheaper because the car is cheaper.

8. Booga

Booga Member

I agree with you, but personally hope it won't be that expensive on the 3 just because it's a lot as others have said. Personally, I don't see myself getting the 3 without autopilot, and to save 3k and forgo fully self driving capabilities would be a little silly in my opinion. Even just to be able to send my car on errands or charge itself would be worth it. (I live in a condo and charging access has been on my mind)

9. JoRey

JoRey Current Volt Owner, Aspiring Model III Owner

I dont know...... Isn't the Model III going to be included as standard with all the hardware. Could'int you just activate it afterwards and safe your self the tax on a 8,000 dollar option. Then use that money and safe the 8k to activate it. Does Tesla charge tax to activate autopilot currently?

10. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

Yes it is. It's the exact same hardware and software.

11. James Anders

James Anders Member

Agreed. It's like paying more for the UHFS in the X versus the S. Silly.

12. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Even that might be excusable, because it's a different system. The X is a larger vehicle with more speakers. But yeah.. while I understand why people don't want this to be the case, the only way I could see the price being lower in the 3 is if there's a price drop across the model line.

13. KeRaSh

KeRaSh Member

Elon already said that Model S and X owners are paying a premium to finance the Model 3. I can't remember the exact wording but it sounded like he also meant that they could offer Model 3 features a little cheaper because the Model S and X buyers are paying a little more.
    I could be wrong but I think it is not completely out of the question.

• Like x 1
  14. jchau

jchau Member

Hypebaited

15. TacC

TacC Member

I understood that to be in reference to funding R&D, in general. He's said things along the lines of Model S and X owners paying for the technology that goes into the 3. We won't literally be writing checks to M3 owners.

On a bit of a separate note, I think using some sort of multiplier for options is a mistake. Identical speakers, wheels, etc. should be priced equally across all models. That would be in line with "loyalty begets loyalty," another Elon quote.

16. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

#116 Skotty, Oct 19, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    Well, this was disappointing for me. I don't really care about autopilot.

But, ultimately, I'm sure most people will love it, and that will sell more Teslas, and that's always something to be happy about.

What worries me most is that, as big of a fan I am of Tesla, I just don't believe in full autopilot. I'm a software developer, and I just don't think it's possible. Not without decades of further software development, or radical changes to our roads and highway management. I hope I'm wrong, and I hope they have engineers more intelligent and capable than I think any humans are. Because that is what I believe it will take. A software system with the decision making skills that rival an alert intelligent human, able to adapt to unfamiliar scenarios, perform risk assessment on the fly, and able to at least reasonably simulate caring about the outcomes.

Just this morning my 7.1 media player was playing 20 seconds of a song, then repeating that 20 seconds, over and over again. Other people have had similar problems. If they can't make the software reliably play a song, how the hell are they going to make it reliably drive itself?

I still believe colonizing Mars is the easier task.

DISCLAIMER! I do think nearly complete autonomy is possible on interstates only. That actually seems realistic to me, and useful. But I looked at the AP 2.0 page, and they are currently promising much much more than that.

• Like x 5
    • Love x 1
  17. James Anders

James Anders Member

#117 James Anders, Oct 19, 2016
    So what's the deal with these self-connecting Superchargers?

And this...

"....Please note also that using a self-driving Tesla for car sharing and ride hailing for friends and family is fine, but doing so for revenue purposes will only be permissible on the Tesla Network, details of which will be released next year...."

18. Lem89

Lem89 Member

#118 Lem89, Oct 19, 2016
    I'm no software developer but I'm sure it's possible. Even other automakers anticipate using the technology by 2020.

19. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

The "snake" charger:

I believe the second line is to tell folks that using an autonomous Tesla for Uber/Lyft tasks (non-Tesla Network) may violate contract terms if you sign up with Tesla Network to get extra income from your Tesla.

Maybe preventing "double-dipping" with an autonomous vehicle--(making money with Tesla and Uber at the same time)?

I assume if you do not opt for autonomous driving, or even if you do, you could drive it yourself (non-autonomous) for Uber/Lyft.

20. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

The Tesla Network thing is also somewhat insane. Maybe if Tesla had a $20K boring car, it would make sense. But most people are really prissy about their expensive Tesla's. Are they really going to let strangers get in their cars, wipe their dirty shoes on the floor, lay their greasy heads against the windows, flick boogers in the car, make out in the back seats, all to make a buck? The thought of that ought to be enough to make most reconsider if this is really a good idea.