Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Confirms 10/19 Announcement is Model 3 Part 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, they did not announce a major change. We all were waiting for ap 2.0 (the press release calls the current as "first generation ap"). Do we have 2.0 now? No. Just the infrastructure of it. As Elon stated, every new sensor config requires millions of miles before making it public so we are equally far away from ap2.0 as yesterday. The bad thing with pre-selling the equipment is, if they realise something needs to be changed or readjusted with hardware, like sensor positions etc, they can't do anything since thousands will be on roads already, and we have to use the system with its late-revealed shortcomings. This way, we are becoming paying beta testers of both hardware and software configurations.

On the positive side, no doubt the vehicle become more aware of its environment thanks to increased number of cams and sensors, a clear, distinct advantage, even without AP, surely it will carry us safer then before. In this point I wonder if which other safety systems are able to use this new equipment set and how..?

I am with @Skotty on this as I do not intend to get Autosteering but I do welcome all improvements to safety features, perhaps my day job as a research engineer is driving my thought process. I do wish Tesla the best with the announced Autopilot improvements and hope they achieve the goals of that programme.

However, I have to admit I am quite disappointed after reveal pt2. Why?
- This was supposed to be Model 3 pt2.
- We were told we'd get some info about the dash.
- We wanted to hear something about Model 3 progress.

And so after all this, where are we at now? As someone who is waiting for a Model 3, what can I look forward to next and when? I am a bit lost.

I am with @Skotty on this as I do not intend to get Autosteering but I do welcome all improvements to safety features, perhaps my day job as a research engineer is driving my thought process. I do wish Tesla the best with the announced Autopilot improvements and hope they achieve the goals of that programme.

And so after all this, where are we at now? As someone who is waiting for a Model 3, what can I look forward to next and when? I am a bit lost.

It definitely wasn't Model 3 part 2. Not even partially. It was in no way Model 3 specific. This was about autopilot. Period. There is no Model 3 part 2. It was dumb for him to call it that, and dumb is not a word I use lightly when talking about Mr. Musk.

I am super-stoked with this announcement. I had originally planned on possibly switching my Model 3 reservation to an X (100D, no P). But with Autonomy as a package, I will keep it for my folks! Especially, if I read things correctly, the reservation can be converted to the Model Y, which may fit them better.

So the automatic supercharger connection is definitely coming soon aswell!! read the last sentence!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-20 at 10.51.47.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-20 at 10.51.47.png
    40.8 KB · Views: 60
That turned out to have been a strange tweet about "Model 3 part 2". Maybe he decided to redefine Part 2 as only announcing that the Model 3 will also have the new autopilot/autonomous hardware? Reveal Part 2 was a highly anticipated event that promised to fill-in a lot of details about the Model 3, so it's a shame to have its publicity value diminished and relegated to a footnote in yesterday's announcement. Likewise, the tweet's implied promise of revealing Model 3 information distracted from the significance of the AP 2.0 announcement. Sure, mention that Model 3 will have the hardware, but keep the two announcements separate so that each can have its own day in the sun.

Oh well, guess we'll have to wait for Part 3 (or 4 or 5?) to learn all the good stuff about the Model 3. :)

Last edited:
"....Please note also that using a self-driving Tesla for car sharing and ride hailing for friends and family is fine, but doing so for revenue purposes will only be permissible on the Tesla Network, details of which will be released next year...."

I believe the second line is to tell folks that using an autonomous Tesla for Uber/Lyft tasks (non-Tesla Network) may violate contract terms if you sign up with Tesla Network to get extra income from your Tesla.

Maybe preventing "double-dipping" with an autonomous vehicle--(making money with Tesla and Uber at the same time)?

I assume if you do not opt for autonomous driving, or even if you do, you could drive it yourself (non-autonomous) for Uber/Lyft.
Or (a slightly more insidious take) the software license that all buyers agree to could flatly prohibit using an autonomous driving Tesla on any non-Tesla ride sharing network, at any time, regardless of whether you have signed up with the Tesla network or not.

Reactions: melindav
Some of you guys are crying about not getting details about the Model 3 other than it will have self driving capability, but that's huge news.

Model 3 part 3 will be later on, no worries.

As far as costs in model X/S vs the 3, the model S/X is still more complicated and expensive to manufacture than the future planned Model 3. The cost of materials might be similar such as the Nvidia Titan GPUs, cost of cameras, etc but labor might be very different. In addition they are still funding software development and validation. Costs may come down later.

The future is now (Video Demo): Full Self-Driving Hardware on All Teslas

Model 3 reservations will surge...

I'll be honest, I'm still a bit disappointed that it wasn't the rest of the Model 3 reveal, but after watching the video I can't help but be majorly impressed at how well the car drives itself. I will very much be looking forward to this technology on my 3 when it arrives. No other car company has even come close to this. Volvo says they'll be doing it by 2020. Tesla is doing it right now.

I'll be honest, I'm still a bit disappointed that it wasn't the rest of the Model 3 reveal, but after watching the video I can't help but be majorly impressed at how well the car drives itself. I will very much be looking forward to this technology on my 3 when it arrives. No other car company has even come close to this. Volvo says they'll be doing it by 2020. Tesla is doing it right now.

The way I see it, with it coming off the line for S and X now.....my Model 3 will already be pretty "smart" by the time I get it.

I'm hoping it can even navigate the Concord (MA) rotary by itself!