Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Confirms 10/19 Announcement is Model 3 Part 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll be honest, I'm still a bit disappointed that it wasn't the rest of the Model 3 reveal, but after watching the video I can't help but be majorly impressed at how well the car drives itself. I will very much be looking forward to this technology on my 3 when it arrives. No other car company has even come close to this. Volvo says they'll be doing it by 2020. Tesla is doing it right now.
Just allow 2 extra days for each trip. :p

The autonomous parking is even more outrageous than the autonomous driving. In that case, the car cannot ask the driver to take over when it gets stuck, and there are lots of ways to get stuck in a messy parking lot. I don't see that ever becoming legal or sufficiently effective.

The autonomous parking is even more outrageous than the autonomous driving. In that case, the car cannot ask the driver to take over when it gets stuck, and there are lots of ways to get stuck in a messy parking lot. I don't see that ever becoming legal or sufficiently effective.

My big question:

paid lots where you have to take a ticket. Lots of those in Boston.

Now, if they'd move to being able to bill me by my EZ-Pass, or by taking a picture of my plate on entry and exit and mailing me a bill, then we'd be all set.

To me it's just a cool parlor trick that will have certain uses and benefits for some people some of the time. Kind of like "self presenting doors/handles." Mostly a "watch this!" ego gimmick with occasional uses when you arrive at the car with your hands full. And I'm not sure how happy this system would be with cameras degraded by ice and snow. Oh my god, it's an emergency! I have to drive!
Really, if you have no interest in engaging with the car, why not just take the bus?
Robin

No other car company has even come close to this.
Actually, the prototype autonomous A7 that drive to CES last year was supposedly impressive, but I expect Tesla's in the lead.

I'm hoping it can even navigate the Concord (MA) rotary by itself!
That's a tall order. Most human drivers can't handle that rotary.

I can't remember how many drivers on Rt 2 forget the rules. I think they figure they must have the right of way, since they're on the highway.

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
Re NVIDIA chip upgrade... does this imply that whatever CPU/GPU/whatever-PU is driving the center console apps has finally been upgraded, too? Or is it the same chip?

In other words: will Nav, other apps, web refresh, general screen updating -- will all that get faster?

Or is the extra horsepower JUST for AP and the center console continues to perform the same way it has since 2012?

Thanks,
Alan

Actually, the prototype autonomous A7 that drive to CES last year was supposedly impressive, but I expect Tesla's in the lead.

That's a tall order. Most human drivers can't handle that rotary.

I can't remember how many drivers on Rt 2 forget the rules. I think they figure they must have the right of way, since they're on the highway.

Oh, please. Nothing to do with what road you're on or what road you're going to.

The rule is this: "I have the right of way."

Alan

• Funny
Reactions: Model 3
BTW, Elon has confirmed on Twitter that there will be a part 3

Elon Musk on Twitter

I hope people aren't taking this as good news. With the lack of current information on the Model 3 and also with no new information about the Model 3 being relayed during this announcement outside of the revamped autopilot and self-driving, there will have to be a part 3. So that tweet isn't adding much value. A better question for him to have answered would have been "Why did you tweet that this was the Model 3 reveal Part 2 when this is really just an announcement about self-driving?" Or better yet, "When will the rest of the Model 3 features be revealed?"

Re NVIDIA chip upgrade... does this imply that whatever CPU/GPU/whatever-PU is driving the center console apps has finally been upgraded, too? Or is it the same chip?

In other words: will Nav, other apps, web refresh, general screen updating -- will all that get faster?

Or is the extra horsepower JUST for AP and the center console continues to perform the same way it has since 2012?

Thanks,
Alan

Don't know what this will mean for the center console, but AP (or whatever it will now be called) will reside separately on the new NVidia hardware. In theory, that SHOULD free up system resources to make it perform better, since it no longer has to perform AP functions.

Reactions: Red Sage
To me, it would be weird to charge 8k for full autonomy on a base Model S, but 5k for a Model 3, especially if it includes the same sensor suite and software.
I agree. In the case of the "Enhanced Autopilot" and 'Full Self Driving" options I am confident that the pricing will be the same on the 3 as it is for the S and X. Those options are different than things like Dual Motor where the 3 second motor is likely less costly to make than the S/X second motor.

$35k base + $8k Autopilot is already more than the average asking price Elon quoted at $42k. Maybe Autopilot will be further broken down by feature? e.g. you can purchase autoparking or summon for $500 a pop. Probably not though.
No, AP will not be "broken down by feature". As for the Model 3 ASP that Elon estimated would be around $42K, I think he is projecting that a significant fraction of all 3's sold will not be bought with AP, and that seems reasonable. But the key point is that the owner can later buy AP if they wish, or a future owner can, or if the 3 is traded in to Tesla the AP option can be activated and the car sold as a CPO at a higher margin. This is all possible because every 3 will have full AP hardware (8 cameras, 12 ultrasonics, 1 radar, new processor). Tesla is making the calculation that overall revenue in the long run will be greater if every Tesla built has the full hardware even if many Teslas are sold without the buyer paying for the AP or Full Self Driving options initially. I think it's the smart way to do it.

Isn't the Model III going to be included as standard with all the hardware. Could'int you just activate it afterwards and safe your self the tax on a 8,000 dollar option.
Yes every 3 will have the full AP hardware and it can be activated afterwards. But you will have to pay sales tax on the option cost of course.

this was no Model 3 reveal part 2
There was no Model 3 shown, no new dash, no new details.
It was just about the new autopilot which has nothing to do with the Model 3...
So lame
I am very dissapointed in this
I think you are missing the point. Yesterday's announcement that every Tesla built from now on, including the Model 3, will have the necessary hardware for autonomous driving, is very important. The capability can be "turned on" at any point in the car's existence even if the original buyer doesn't pay for it. That is unprecedented in the automotive world.

I'm happy about the progress they're making, though I don't anticipate springing for the fully autonomous capabilities for an extra $3k. It creates a secondary channel for full redundancy, sure, but I anticipate that most of my autopilot usage will be on the highway or in traffic, and I'm happy to take over in those instances. I don't need my car to do cross country trips without me in it or take people places on its own.

The one thing I'm torn on is that it might depend on my charging situation. If I don't have charging at home, and this thing could take itself to a supercharger and show up with an 80% charge, I might be willing to pay for it. As a driver, I'm still not likely to treat it as a fully autonomous vehicle and will still be prepared to take over at any time its needed.

For many months of the year here, in snowy Canada... autopilot or anything like it is unusable and ill advised. Lines on the road? What road?!... it's a white sheet in front of you with some tire ruts from traffic in front of you. Everyone here knows you shouldn't use even basic cruise control when it's snowy, or potential of having ice on the road. So goodbye November, December, January, February, into March... by April it generally becomes safe.

It's a simple choice for me .... will not be checking any boxes on the model 3 order sheet for any autopilot / autonomous features.

Frankly, would be a waste of money to have those sensors and compute power in the car... I'd wish to order a "stripper version" and save myself a few more thousand by de-contenting whatever is necessary to make sure that "future upgrade" to those things is not even possible.

However, my mind would be changed if there was a pay-as-you-go price model that let's me discount these features based on usage. So only charges me when I use them.. per km or whatever.

The future is now (Video Demo): Full Self-Driving Hardware on All Teslas

Model 3 reservations will surge...
I think Tesla Q4 2016 orders will surge as well.

Loved that video. It was filmed on the SF Peninsula. The car started driving near Sand Hill Road, went to the 280 freeway and took the southbound onramp, then to the Page Mill Road exit, then right onto Deer Park Road to the Tesla headquarters.

The nice thing is since parking lots are for the most part all private property, wouldnt autopilot be able to operate in them without the consent of the government and regulations. Kinda like how in parking lots you dont technically have to stop at the stop signs, or be buckled up (not saying either of those are smart, just saying its possible and you cant get in trouble for it. ((At least in Texas)))

I hope people aren't taking this as good news. With the lack of current information on the Model 3 and also with no new information about the Model 3 being relayed during this announcement outside of the revamped autopilot and self-driving, there will have to be a part 3. So that tweet isn't adding much value. A better question for him to have answered would have been "Why did you tweet that this was the Model 3 reveal Part 2 when this is really just an announcement about self-driving?" Or better yet, "When will the rest of the Model 3 features be revealed?"

Tesla probably can't show the M3 in detail until they are close to production. They may also do S/X console/UI improvements at that time. They will probably want to maintain the S/X super premium price as the model 3 occupies most of the feature/functions of the current model S.

Frankly, would be a waste of money to have those sensors and compute power in the car... I'd wish to order a "stripper version" and save myself a few more thousand by de-contenting whatever is necessary to make sure that "future upgrade" to those things is not even possible.
The "stripper" version is the $35,000 base model that has been and continues to be promised. At the original Model 3 reveal, we were told Autopilot hardware would be included standard (no option to de-content this hardware). The only difference between then and now is that we now know this standard hardware suite consists of multiple cameras, sensors and an upgraded processor.

Stripper version is available. The M3 will still be $35K base and have non-functioning user software. Nothing has changed, except perhaps the AP activation will be considerably more than anticipated.

The average selling price may be close to $50K, which is probably what Tesla needs to make it a viable product.

Thanks,
Alan

EM said on the conf call that the nvidia Titan GPU is isolated from the main Ic/infotainment system. He jokingly said you don't want going to the wrong website to crash your car lol

• Informative
Reactions: Red Sage and Pollux
I think Tesla Q4 2016 orders will surge as well.

Loved that video. It was filmed on the SF Peninsula. The car started driving near Sand Hill Road, went to the 280 freeway and took the southbound onramp, then to the Page Mill Road exit, then right onto Deer Park Road to the Tesla headquarters.

I grew up near that area and drove that stretch of freeway a lot. I was hoping the left rear camera view would stay on long enough to show the Dish on top of the foothills (Stanford's radio telescope).