Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Confirms 10/19 Announcement is Model 3 Part 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EM said on the conf call that the nvidia Titan GPU is isolated from the main Ic/infotainment system. He jokingly said you don't want going to the wrong website to crash your car lol

Thanks for the info. Happy that I'm not time-sharing between the main console functions and autopilot. But still would love much, much snappier operation on the main console.

Thanks,
Alan

Re NVIDIA chip upgrade... does this imply that whatever CPU/GPU/whatever-PU is driving the center console apps has finally been upgraded, too? Or is it the same chip?
as Model S M.D. mentioned it's a discrete NVIDIA Titan GPU most likely based on the pascal architecture. It has nothing to do with the infotainment stuff.

I'm sure they'll upgrade that too at some point.

as Model S M.D. mentioned it's a discrete NVIDIA Titan GPU most likely based on the pascal architecture. It has nothing to do with the infotainment stuff.

I'm sure they'll upgrade that too at some point.

Thanks, @JeffK. I agree. It's the "when" that's killing me. Watching map tiles refresh, and re-refresh, and the captions drawn first upside down and then right-side up, and so on and so forth.... makes me conscious that my time here on this planet is limited. :)

Thanks,
Alan

Reactions: Red Sage
I think it's incredibly exciting. This means that not long after we get our Model 3s, they will be able to drive themselves. The future is almost here. Tesla really is leaving other carmakers in the dust.

My car being able to drive for me on my 185 mile commute will be life changing. That landscape screen is making a lot more sense now - better for watching TV. :)

The "stripper" version is the $35,000 base model that has been and continues to be promised. At the original Model 3 reveal, we were told Autopilot hardware would be included standard (no option to de-content this hardware). The only difference between then and now is that we now know this standard hardware suite consists of multiple cameras, sensors and an upgraded processor.

..if there was an option to de-content I would... and I would probably save a couple thousand if Tesla wanted to pass on the savings to me. I'd take the stripped stripper version. All the cameras... etc. do not need.

Gimme a battery, motor, and wheels man.. ! I can steer it myself.

Well, a backup camera would be nice.

For many months of the year here, in snowy Canada... autopilot or anything like it is unusable and ill advised. Lines on the road? What road?!... it's a white sheet in front of you with some tire ruts from traffic in front of you. Everyone here knows you shouldn't use even basic cruise control when it's snowy, or potential of having ice on the road. So goodbye November, December, January, February, into March... by April it generally becomes safe.

It's a simple choice for me .... will not be checking any boxes on the model 3 order sheet for any autopilot / autonomous features.

Frankly, would be a waste of money to have those sensors and compute power in the car... I'd wish to order a "stripper version" and save myself a few more thousand by de-contenting whatever is necessary to make sure that "future upgrade" to those things is not even possible.

However, my mind would be changed if there was a pay-as-you-go price model that let's me discount these features based on usage. So only charges me when I use them.. per km or whatever.

You may find the sensors useless, but Tesla still wants to learn from how you drive in those conditions. So the sensors have to be there. Don't count out the possibility that, at some point in the future, learning from drivers like you would enable AP to handle those conditions fairly well.

• Love
Tesla just announces self-driving hardware in all their cars from now on, shows a Model X driving and parking itself, and says the Model 3 will have this from day one and will make money for you if you let it and how do people react?

Omg where's my Model 3 HUD? Omg I'm so disappointed I have to wait for this. Omg where's my Part 2? Omg my Model 3.

THEY'RE WORKING ON IT!

As for the Model 3 ASP that Elon estimated would be around $42K, I think he is projecting that a significant fraction of all 3's sold will not be bought with AP, and that seems reasonable.
It's a different market and probably anecdotal, but there was a guy on here who said he was speaking with some Tesla store staff and they said pretty much everybody buys the Autopilot.

The question is, does Tesla really expect Autopilot not to be terribly popular with the 3 crowd?

Maybe preventing "double-dipping" with an autonomous vehicle--(making money with Tesla and Uber at the same time)?

I assume if you do not opt for autonomous driving, or even if you do, you could drive it yourself (non-autonomous) for Uber/Lyft.

I'm not sure "double dipping" makes any difference. Why let your car self-drive for 2 separate ride-sharing services if you're already enrolled in the one service? Because if one is better, you'll likely just use the better one exclusively.

I took it to mean what you did: If you want to drive your own vehicle for Uber, you still can. But if you want your vehicle to self-drive for Uber, you cannot.

However, after reading it again, I think it might mean that no Tesla vehicle can be used with Uber/Lyft no matter if a human is driving or if it is driver-less. All Teslas being used for ride-sharing must do so via "Tesla Network". That's now how I'm understanding that line.

The Tesla Network thing is also somewhat insane. Maybe if Tesla had a $20K boring car, it would make sense. But most people are really prissy about their expensive Tesla's. Are they really going to let strangers get in their cars, wipe their dirty shoes on the floor, lay their greasy heads against the windows, flick boogers in the car, make out in the back seats, all to make a buck? The thought of that ought to be enough to make most reconsider if this is really a good idea.

1. NOBODY is forcing you to ride-share your vehicle.

2. Tesla owners ALREADY ride-share their vehicle.

3. In the future, Tesla vehicles will only be allowed to ride-share via the Tesla ride-share network.

Pretty simple stuff.

I'm not sure "double dipping" makes any difference. Why let your car self-drive for 2 separate ride-sharing services if you're already enrolled in the one service? Because if one is better, you'll likely just use the better one exclusively.

I took it to mean what you did: If you want to drive your own vehicle for Uber, you still can. But if you want your vehicle to self-drive for Uber, you cannot.

However, after reading it again, I think it might mean that no Tesla vehicle can be used with Uber/Lyft no matter if a human is driving or if it is driver-less. All Teslas being used for ride-sharing must do so via "Tesla Network". That's now how I'm understanding that line.

Yes, that is what I am thinking they mean too. But how would they prevent someone from physically driving for Uber/Lyft during the day, then putting the car into service at night for Tesla Network. Or let's say someone like Bjorn Nyland who does Nimber tasks and package deliveries during the day (not carrying passengers). Does that preclude him from joining the Tesla Network and renting out his car at night? Wonder how they're going to do this.

I assume if you just want autonomy without renting it out, that is an option.

So my understanding is that Tesla will likely maintain their own fleet for rent as well.

I think Tesla Q4 2016 orders will surge as well.

Loved that video. It was filmed on the SF Peninsula. The car started driving near Sand Hill Road, went to the 280 freeway and took the southbound onramp, then to the Page Mill Road exit, then right onto Deer Park Road to the Tesla headquarters.
I hope you're right about a surge in orders, but I expect there will first be a notch between now and when the existing features are enabled on the new cars. As I understand the announcement, current stuff like Adaptive Cruise is not going to work until sometime in December, and "subject to regulatory approval". I certainly would consider waiting until things settled down, if I had the option.

Also, agree on the great video. I wonder how many times the car circled the parking lot looking for an open spot, or what it would do if there wasn't one?

..if there was an option to de-content I would... and I would probably save a couple thousand if Tesla wanted to pass on the savings to me. I'd take the stripped stripper version. All the cameras... etc. do not need.

Gimme a battery, motor, and wheels man.. ! I can steer it myself.

Well, a backup camera would be nice.

Yeah, but isn't AEB about to become mandatory? So the hardware is necessary for that, so it is unlikely that Tesla would let you take out safety features to make the car cost less.

Well, this was disappointing for me. I don't really care about autopilot.

But, ultimately, I'm sure most people will love it, and that will sell more Teslas, and that's always something to be happy about.

What worries me most is that, as big of a fan I am of Tesla, I just don't believe in full autopilot. I'm a software developer, and I just don't think it's possible. Not without decades of further software development, or radical changes to our roads and highway management. I hope I'm wrong, and I hope they have engineers more intelligent and capable than I think any humans are. Because that is what I believe it will take. A software system with the decision making skills that rival an alert intelligent human, able to adapt to unfamiliar scenarios, perform risk assessment on the fly, and able to at least reasonably simulate caring about the outcomes.

Just this morning my 7.1 media player was playing 20 seconds of a song, then repeating that 20 seconds, over and over again. Other people have had similar problems. If they can't make the software reliably play a song, how the hell are they going to make it reliably drive itself?

I still believe colonizing Mars is the easier task.

DISCLAIMER! I do think nearly complete autonomy is possible on interstates only. That actually seems realistic to me, and useful. But I looked at the AP 2.0 page, and they are currently promising much much more than that.
That's like asking why Jim Nabors could sing as a perfect Baritone but had the speaking voice of a backwoods dork. Sometimes it is possible to excel in some ways, while being a complete failure in others. That's life and stuff.

Pretty much every media player I've come across is complete crap compared to what I would prefer. The closest thing to perfect these days is either PLEX or KODI. And both of those are still more complicated than they should be.

Pretty much every media player I've come across is complete crap compared to what I would prefer. The closest thing to perfect these days is either PLEX or KODI. And both of those are still more complicated than they should be.
This forum has the highest media player critic per capita ratio of any forum online. And that includes mediaplayerguruforum.com.

Seriously, though. I guess I'm pretty easily pleased with music, or more likely I'm totally naïve and I don't know what I'm missing. I use voice to stream Slacker, or I use voice to stream songs from my iPhone. Interface-wise, I don't know what else I'd need. Streaming podcasts from my phone makes much more sense than from the car, because my place in the podcast is then portable. I imagine what I'm missing is the high fidelity afforded by FLAC, and that's only supplied by USB. I doubt my ear could tell the difference, so I guess I'll just have to be that naïvely pleased media player guy.

Tesla just announces self-driving hardware in all their cars from now on, shows a Model X driving and parking itself, and says the Model 3 will have this from day one and will make money for you if you let it and how do people react?

Omg where's my Model 3 HUD? Omg I'm so disappointed I have to wait for this. Omg where's my Part 2? Omg my Model 3.

THEY'RE WORKING ON IT!
Agreed. I've never seen so much frustration with good news. The implication is that information > improvement.

What would you rather chew on for the next year: full autonomy or the shape of the steering wheel?

On the other hand, there are folks pricing out options for Model 3 while complaining that they don't have any details about the car.

I'm so lost.

Or (a slightly more insidious take) the software license that all buyers agree to could flatly prohibit using an autonomous driving Tesla on any non-Tesla ride sharing network, at any time, regardless of whether you have signed up with the Tesla network or not.
I think this is the correct interpretation and not insidious as much as it is a fiduciary duty.

Uber already has a semi-autonomous fleet and this is clearly the direction the world is headed. Uber/Lyft will go with the best manufacturer(s) for their shareholders. It makes no sense to help a company that is supporting your competition.

Thanks, @JeffK. I agree. It's the "when" that's killing me. Watching map tiles refresh, and re-refresh, and the captions drawn first upside down and then right-side up, and so on and so forth.... makes me conscious that my time here on this planet is limited. :)

Thanks,
Alan
EM made a comment recently that the linux OS was scheduled to be updated to 4.4 later this year, implying making the browsing/maps/etc much more responsive.