Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Confirms 10/19 Announcement is Model 3 Part 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So not Model 3 Part 2 after all. Only "alludes" to Model 3 Part 2 in the sense that TeslaVision hardware will be available on the 3 as well as S/X going forward, and that this was something that wasn't previously announced in Model 3 Part 1 back on March 31.

"While this is occurring, Teslas with new hardware will temporarily lack certain features currently available on Teslas with first-generation Autopilot hardware, including some standard safety features such as automatic emergency breaking, collision warning, lane holding and active cruise control."

Those features better be available by the time the Model 3 hits production or that will be a HUGE negative. These are some of the main reasons I want a Tesla.

"While this is occurring, Teslas with new hardware will temporarily lack certain features currently available on Teslas with first-generation Autopilot hardware, including some standard safety features such as automatic emergency breaking, collision warning, lane holding and active cruise control."

Those features better be available by the time the Model 3 hits production or that will be a HUGE negative. These are some of the main reasons I want a Tesla.

I hope those features will be available well before Model 3 launch. Otherwise, people buying an S or X in the near future will be without auto steer, AEB etc. for over a year. Maybe that's the price of getting the latest hardware but it seems like a long time to wait.

I really feel for those who have just taken delivery of an S without this capability. Instant devaluation?
It probably depends on how long you are keeping the vehicle. It'll take time for all this to be enabled, and the price is much higher now. $5,000 for autopilot plus another $3,000 for full self driving according to the online configurator. Version 1 was only $2,500 as recently as a month or so ago.