Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon confirms metal snake supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I actually think it's a shame the Charge Port doesn't open the other way. If it did, once you pick up speed the aperture would at least have a chance of closing with the pressure of forward motion

Motorised ports don't have this issue of course

A retrofittable automatic port would be nice to have - not necessarily the OEM version that needs different mounting points, but one that can be used on older cars

The snake is pretty cool. It will probably operate much like the video, but with a sheath over it. The way it operates will make it resistant to damage and weather issues. Only question is what kind of range will it have / how good the parking job needs to be.

Hopefully they make a home version too. Would be cool to have one in your garage.

Reactions: kevinf311
I agree that winter will be a huge issue. I wonder how the snake will be able to even move when every movable joints are frozen. Hope that new supercharger also comes with an automatic hammer. Just hit the snake with hammer to break the ice.
Do you have any idea how hot the new 200kw chargers will get? They'll be glad of a little ice to cool them down!
I hear you're going to be able to get a free espresso drink with your charge... ;)

Reactions: callmesam
If a driverless, autonomous Tesla arrives at a Supercharger with no automatic cable stalls available, and without enough range to make another Supercharger location, will it pull into a spot and start beeping sympathetically? "HELP! Someone! Plug me in!"
Just park in a neighboring spot and call Tesla Roadside Charging Valet to handle the plug/unplug details.

yup, i bet human will become very lazy from now on. No need to drive, no need to walk out of the car to charge.

I knew Wall-E was the closest movie when it came to predicting our future.

The Matrix, and the Terminator got it all wrong.

AI doesn't become self-aware; humans simply stop functioning little by little.

On a more serious note autonomous driving is actually going to push me to do more things. I tend to be less resistant to doing things if I don't have to drive somewhere. I do like driving when there is open space to drive, but I loathe city driving so I avoid that like the plague. I also avoid grocery stores like the plague as well, and can't wait to send a robot in a self-driving car to the store at midnight to grab me some cake.

• Funny
Reactions: Max*
Its certainly an intresting concept.with the auto charge snake, you can indeed send the car out to the ride share network. Earn some cash, supercharge and be ready for work the next day. I do wonder how many there will be around in the tesla network, just doing ride share and charging.

Talking about hubris.... This was the least of my concerns. If anything, I liked the battery swap idea better. We all know how that worked.

I mocked the Model X automatic opening front doors for that same reason. That no one could possibly be so lazy. But, now when viewed from the autonomous driving perspective it's not that bad.

Do you seriously want your robot to say "Open your own damn door!!' or do you want your robot to be kind and open the door for you?

For the snake charger to me it really comes down to two things.

A.) I don't want to be limited to eating at the restaurants nearby the supercharger. Instead I want the car to drop me off where I want to eat, and then go charge itself.

B.) I want to sleep while on a road trip. Why do I want to be woken up at 3am in the morning when the car stops to charge?

Tesla tends to implement things for tomorrow. They seem silly today, but tomorrow you depend on them.

Reactions: Falkirk and ModelX