TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Elon confirms new supercharger capabilities

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by yobigd20, Apr 5, 2013.

1. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

In his Engadget interview, http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/05/elon-musk-interview/, he says exactly

The key in what is says is "and in what Superchargers can do" . So I think this confirms what others may have suggested ... I'm guessing the new capability is actually faster charging rates.

unless someone else has a better idea what he's referring to...

2. PaceyWhitter

PaceyWhitter Member

Faster rates are really the only thing that is plausible, but a guy can dream: inductive charging?

3. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I think it's faster. I believe Elon said when they were unveiled that they charged at (something like) 90 kW but could go up to (something like) 120 kW. They're probably just announcing this jump in capability.

4. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

I refuse to get my expectations up.
    I will believe it when I see the actual press release.

5. ahimberg

ahimberg Member

new capability: The supercharger parking spots detect being ICEd and eject those vehicles into a pile somewhere.

6. Bipo

Bipo Member

After the "money vs. mouth" hype, I will stay poker faced until reading the press release...

If I've to make a bid, I supposhe it'll be the 120 kW capability.

7. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member

How about a camera that takes a picture of the ICE license plate and sends it to local police/tow company. Tow company races out to collect "impound fee". ICE drivers would learn the hard way, "don't park there".....

Heck, even if Tesla just put a sign up that said all license plates are photographed for parking violations, I bet the ICE guys would think twice about parking there.

8. Babylonfive

Babylonfive Power12

I refuse to get hyped either.

The likely announcement is: 120kW, and perhaps some new finished SC sites.
    I'm wishing for Texas triangle, but could be among those latest focus locations, or none.

9. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

#9 ChadS, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Now THAT would be an announcement worthy of the hype:

10. Jkam

Jkam Member

Getting off topic here, but I hope there is some failsafe built in to the super chargers to prevent some idiot or kid putting a paper clip in the adapter and frying themselves at 120 kWh.

Right now most EV adopters are probably closer to the higher end of the spectrum in terms of intelligence and behavior, but as EVs spread out more to the masses, you know someone on the lower end of the spectrum is going to do something stupid.

11. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

I really hope he means an increase in the number of planned superchargers for the full rollout, giving 150-mile coverage or better on major routes across the US, and not just "We are opening five more this month!". But after this last fantasy "leasing" program announcement, I am not betting on it.

12. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Dramatic increase in superchargers?

Please let it be the entire west coast! NorCal to Washington

13. Cliff Hannel

Cliff Hannel Member

Not sure this has not been announced, but I did see them putting massive battery capacity in the Tejon Pass station. This allows them to both increase peak delivery rates AND store solar-produced energy, both of which make the stations more efficient and easier to put in, as getting a 300+ kW feed from the utility isn't always easy (for multi-bay SC stations). They use a variant of the same battery packs in the cars, I think.

14. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Dramatic, as in 50 new sites? 100? Or should we meter for Elon-speak and say 10? I suppose that would be more than 100% increase which is a pretty dramatic number :tongue: See what happens when you cry wolf?

Sounds like this might solve the issue of 2 or more cars supercharging reducing the rates for other cars if there's a backup source to draw from?

15. Puyallup Bill

Puyallup Bill Member

May I amend that?

Please let it be the entire west coast! NorCal through Washington.:wink:

16. Banahogg

Banahogg Member

From the engadget interview:

My guess is that the build-out announcement is that they'll be doing a big burst of supercharger installs targeting 100 supercharger stations (roughly the 2 year map from the original announcement video) by some time this year (the "well earlier" from the quote).

120kW plus batteries seems reasonable for the changes in the chargers themselves and in keeping with Elon hyperbole (describing 30% increase in peak charge rate as "dramatic")

17. markb1

markb1 Active Member

I find a "dramatic increase in the number of superchargers" much more exciting than 120kW charging.

18. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

fixed it for the geographically challenged.... :biggrin:

19. 100thMonkey

100thMonkey Member

The Trifecta of Tesla, Solar City and Space X are forming operation "Ice-Shield". Space X has been secretly deploying a "thousand points of light" solar satellite laser defense shield capable of instantly vaporizing gas powered violators, leaving the parking lot open and free of debris within seconds of a Tesla owner releasing the safety and pressing the big red button under "charging" on the main console screen, it also can be activated via the smart phone app! Each Tesla charging station's parking pad will act as a crucible, equipped with a Thermoelectric module which captures the heat generated from the de-icing and transforms it into electricity for charging the next car. Tesla is therefore "putting it's money where it's mouth is", assuring, with 100% certainty, that it's charging stations will be ICE free. :)

20. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I knew I should have said NorCal to Canada :)

Hopefully we'll get our wish, I think it's pretty likely. It will open up the route for people from up north to pick up their vehicles at the factory.
    Although that's unlikely as they'll have to pay CA tax.