Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon confirms new supercharger capabilities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Come on, y'all... no love for the East Coast? I don't know how many Superchargers are on the West Coast so far, but as far as I know the total number of Superchargers from Key West to Washington D.C (about 1200 miles) is exactly...

Zero.

I don't care if one side gets more or less, but I'd like at least some over here! :)

Come on, y'all... no love for the East Coast? I don't know how many Superchargers are on the West Coast so far, but as far as I know the total number of Superchargers from Key West to Washington D.C (about 1200 miles) is exactly...

Zero.

I don't care if one side gets more or less, but I'd like at least some over here! :)

I consider this so far a major failure. And with no concrete plans or time frames, it's hard to convince friends they can use this car for even slightly long trips without major planning and lots of long/overnight stops.

As most of us know, there is one in Milford CT, which helps if traveling NorthEast. Need SCs along the I-95 corridor, a few perhaps around the GW bridge and points south.

Since he said 100 in the Engadget interview, I'm assuming some of those will go east - we don't need that many out there.

That's about the number in the original "2 year plan" from the original announcement, that has plenty of coverage for the east coast and Texas.

us-2yr.png

I would not even begin to call this plenty of coverage for the Northeast. There are maybe two of them reachable from my house with my S85, and those are both traveling south or west. I am completely unable to travel to any of the major cities north and east of me, or on to the next set of cities beyond them, etc. So I cannot even get to the major routes that are covered by SCs, such as I-95 on the east coast. We need these things every 100-150 miles on *every* interstate, period. In my neck of the woods that means I-80, I-90, I-76, I-86, I-79, and I-81, most of which are glaringly ignored all around me.

I would not even begin to call this plenty of coverage for the Northeast. There are maybe two of them reachable from my house with my S85, and those are both traveling south or west. I am completely unable to travel to any of the major cities north and east of me, or on to the next set of cities beyond them, etc. So I cannot even get to the major routes that are covered by SCs, such as I-95 on the east coast. We need these things every 100-150 miles on *every* interstate, period. In my neck of the woods that means I-80, I-90, I-76, I-86, I-79, and I-81, most of which are glaringly ignored all around me.

Holy cow. Why don't you pay to have one installed. Let Tesla focus on the needs of ALL of their customers rather than just you.
I would be thrilled, with just one in any direction and you are apparently not going to be happy until there are 6 in your area?

Holy cow. Why don't you pay to have one installed. Let Tesla focus on the needs of ALL of their customers rather than just you.
I would be thrilled, with just one in any direction and you are apparently not going to be happy until there are 6 in your area?

Zythryn, I am just using myself as an example, positioned near a semi-major city in the northeast, that illustrates the gaps in coverage for this illustration, which the previous posted seemed to indicate was "plenty" for the Northeast. My point is that when you cannot make it between major cities, and you cannot even connect to the corridors where there is major SC representation, the coverage is not sufficient. And my city is far from the only example of this, looking at the overlay. I am not indicating that Tesla should specifically cover where I live just because I live there...I saw this chart before I finalized my purchase, and knew full well what I was getting into. What I am specifically stating is that Tesla should have 100-150 mile coverage on every major interstate for Superchargers to successfully cover the US. This is critical if Tesla wants to remove this obstacle to the average road-tripping American buying a new car. I hope that level of coverage is the "dramatic" announcement Elon is hinting at, though I am not banking on it.

This is a side point, but I expect most of the "gaps" to be covered by slower SAE DC (or CHAdeMO) chargers.

It's unrealistic to expect Tesla to be able to cover all routes even with a 150 mile gap on all interstates. Given the interstate system has 47182 miles worth of road, that will take 314-472 supercharger locations at 150-100 miles apart respectively. Tesla is working with an allowance of 100 chargers which they have to distribute on the most popular routes.

The other standards will have 100+ in a one state alone (California mainly at this point). Tesla can't afford to install that many (yet).

Getting off topic here, but I hope there is some failsafe built in to the super chargers to prevent some idiot or kid putting a paper clip in the adapter and frying themselves at 120 kWh.

Right now most EV adopters are probably closer to the higher end of the spectrum in terms of intelligence and behavior, but as EVs spread out more to the masses, you know someone on the lower end of the spectrum is going to do something stupid.
Yes, offtopic, but...
J1772, Roadster adapter, CHaDEMO... all the adapters have solved that problem. The Tesla ones are safe from idiots.

Getting off topic here, but I hope there is some failsafe built in to the super chargers to prevent some idiot or kid putting a paper clip in the adapter and frying themselves at 120 kWh.

Supercharger or not, every EVSE has no current going through it until it's plugged into the vehicle and receives a proper signal. It's hard to imagine anything safer. You can even test this with your UMC. Plug it in halfway and it will only draw 16 amps because it hasn't received the signal to draw more (of course if it's not plugged in at all there is no current at all.

Zythryn, I am just using myself as an example, ...

My apologies, I inferred the wrong message.
I have no doubt more superchargers will be rolled out as necessary. I would not expect them to station them along every interstate though. For a private company to be doing this at all is phenomenal, but such a density of them is, IMO, more than can be reasonably expected.

Agreed, expecting *every* interstate to be fully covered is a bit much. But once the coasts are done, I do expect to see the major cross-country arteries with 150-mile coverage, allowing you to take I-90 from Boston to Seattle, or I-80 from NYC to San Francisco. Same with the major N-S trucking routes, such as I-79, I-81, I-87, I-91/93, etc. (mentioning these NE ones as examples that I am familiar with, but same goes for elsewhere around the country). The image we are discussing doesn't even permit that, particularly in the NE. An extra 50 superchargers could provide that and much more.