Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon confirms new supercharger capabilities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since he said 100 in the Engadget interview, I'm assuming some of those will go east - we don't need that many out there.

That's about the number in the original "2 year plan" from the original announcement, that has plenty of coverage for the east coast and Texas.

You, sir, are clearly not well-acquainted with the East Coast. :)

Allow me to point out that this map is just an illustration, not a specific plan. Take Florida, just for example. The East Coast is 500 miles long, and this map shows two dots separated by about 300 miles. The Gulf Coast is a full 800 miles long from Key West to Pensacola, and this map shows three dots, with two of them separated by over 400 miles.

Please don't mistake this illustration for a plan, or anything like it. As Iz noted above, there is a Supercharger in Milford, CT. From there to Miami it's 1350 miles; and to Key West, it's a fully 1500 miles. And there are, again, zero Superchargers presently available.

If I were in California, I'd be quietly grateful that my Supercharger network is so far ahead of other states and wait patiently while more get built all over the place. Yes, California needs more than what is currently out there... but do you really think further Supercharger build-outs in California should take priority over the 35-40 (or more) states which currently have no Superchargers at all?

- - - Updated - - -

A new capability I'd like to see on the superchargers is some kind of connectivity. Let other Model S owners know how many bays are available, how many are in use, maybe even how much more time charging vehicles need.

I agree that this is important even now, and will only become more so over time.

I would love to see both an increase in Supercharger locations and 120kWh charging capability. I feel fortunate to be able to use the Superchargers along Highway 5 in CA, and it would be great to take road trips to places other than between NorCal and SoCal. And based on my last return trip to NorCal from SoCal, I can't wait for the 120Kwh rate. Sitting at Tejon Ranch for two hours to get fully charged because all the spots were full, and I was never able to charge at the 90kWh rate. I know that is nothing to compared to not having a Supercharger available at all, but one gets spoiled pretty quickly when they are accessible. It is great to see the Superchargers getting used to the extent that they are, but it really puts a crimp into getting fully charged in about an hour. Early days, and I look forward to the improvements we should see over the next few years.

A new capability I'd like to see on the superchargers is some kind of connectivity. Let other Model S owners know how many bays are available, how many are in use, maybe even how much more time charging vehicles need.

Well it's not a Supercharger thread without mentioning the they need to put a Tesla HPC at each SC site.

If I were in California, I'd be quietly grateful that my Supercharger network is so far ahead of other states and wait patiently while more get built all over the place. Yes, California needs more than what is currently out there... but do you really think further Supercharger build-outs in California should take priority over the 35-40 (or more) states which currently have no Superchargers at all?
Unfortunately, Californians probably are calling for superchargers to make a SF to Seattle trip possible (which is why Tesla is planning SC in the Pacific Northwest next).

In terms of most traveled roads (ignoring for the moment Model S market share, which probably also plays a role in supercharger distribution) here's the data:
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/policyinformation/tables/02.cfm
California ranks pretty much #1, and Tesla installed SCs here first.
NY, NJ, and DC is also pretty far up there which is why Tesla installed superchargers there next.
Next area is Houston/Dallas in Texas.
Specific cities high on the list include Chicago, Miami, Atlanta, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Denver.

And from recent news it seems SC rollout is following exactly the road usage data posted above:
We will be adding Supercharger coverage in many areas over the next three to four months, installing our first Superchargers in the Pacific Northwest, Texas, Illinois, and Florida with additional coverage in the Northeast and California.
http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/inside-tesla-032113

From the data, I predict the next routes will be:
I-45 between Houston and Dallas/Fort Worth
I-75 between Atlanta and Miami.
I-10 between LA and Phoenix

Not sure for Chicago and Denver.

Last edited:
Getting off topic here, but I hope there is some failsafe built in to the super chargers to prevent some idiot or kid putting a paper clip in the adapter and frying themselves at 120 kWh.

Right now most EV adopters are probably closer to the higher end of the spectrum in terms of intelligence and behavior, but as EVs spread out more to the masses, you know someone on the lower end of the spectrum is going to do something stupid.

Some more useless & off-topic discussion:

The 120 kW (which is 250 Amp at 480 V) maximum Supercharger Capacity is irrelevant in this case. Current is determined by load, not supply.

The SuperChargers give out 480 V. The human body resistance is 100k Ohm (when dry). So from a 480V source the human body will draw 0.0048 A. More than enough to kill you, but it's completely irrelevant to the human body whether the maximum supply from that source can be 250 A or 10 A before it trips. (Of course, to the Model S that's only providing a resistance of somewhere between 1 and 5 ohm it's very relevant).

PS: Also kWh is a measure of capacity (battery size), not current (the stuff that kills you). But I assume it was just a typo.

The SuperChargers give out 480 V. The human body resistance is 100k Ohm (when dry). So from a 480V source the human body will draw 0.0048 A. More than enough to kill you, but it's completely irrelevant to the human body whether the maximum supply from that source can be 250 A or 10 A before it trips. (Of course, to the Model S that's only providing a resistance of somewhere between 1 and 5 ohm it's very relevant).

No Tesla SuperCharger can put out 480V. If you look at the pictures of labels that was posted, from the new Harris Ranch SC units, you'll see that they can deliver 50-410V.

But the voltage will usually be around 365V as that is the nominal voltage for the 85kWh battery. For the 60kWh battery it seems to be around 315V.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it's faster. I believe Elon said when they were unveiled that they charged at (something like) 90 kW but could go up to (something like) 120 kW. They're probably just announcing this jump in capability.

If one car can charge at 120kW they need to increase the number of 10kW chargers in each SC unit from 12 to at least 15. Otherwise, the second car to plug into a charger that is currently delivering 120kW to the first vehicle to plug in, will get exactly 0kW. Probably the smart thing is going to 18 chargers, so you start at 60kW.

Unfortunately, Californians probably are calling for superchargers to make a SF to Seattle trip possible (which is why Tesla is planning SC in the Pacific Northwest next).
That makes sense.

In terms of most traveled roads (ignoring for the moment Model S market share, which probably also plays a role in supercharger distribution) here's the data:
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/policyinformation/tables/02.cfm
Urban numbers, therefore useless. Superchargers are for intercity travel.
And from recent news it seems SC rollout is following exactly the road usage data posted above:
:grinds teeth: I really hope they're not so stupid as to do that. That won't get you the superchargers between San Francisco and Portland, which is what you need to enable those SF to Seattle road trips.

Similarly, here in the east we need a Supercharger in Erie, PA, and then somewhere between there and Chicago. So that it's possible to get from NY to points west.

The way I'd do it would be to look up research on the most popular *pairs of cities* to travel between, and build the superchargers along those routes first. So yes, LA to SF first, and yes, Houston to Dallas early, but ignore the high driving rates *within* metro areas.

- - - Updated - - -

Dramatic, as in 50 new sites? 100? Or should we meter for Elon-speak and say 10? I suppose that would be more than 100% increase which is a pretty dramatic number :tongue: See what happens when you cry wolf?

Let me bet on 10, all of which are on the West Coast or East Coast, allowing for no cross-country trips. :p

Believe it or not, not everything revolves around California. The largest Tesla market outside of California was Seattle at one point, so I think it's safe to assume they're way up there on the list of areas to cater to. Trips from Seattle to Portland and Vancouver, BC would be extremely important routes to cover. I'd love to be able to drive all the way up the coast but I won't be surprised if it takes a little longer to fill in.

It's unrealistic to expect Tesla to be able to cover all routes even with a 150 mile gap on all interstates. Given the interstate system has 47182 miles worth of road, that will take 314-472 supercharger locations at 150-100 miles apart respectively.

Well, 500 supercharger-stations (6 bays) at $250,000 will cost 125 million. Tesla should do a secondary offering of 150 mill and install 500 superchargers within this summer. Think of the publicity! The cost is ridicilously low compared to the effect it would have. Within a month Tesla will exceed 10,000 produced Model S. If Elon exercise his stock option he`ll add just shy of 50 mill to Tesla (if I`m not mistaking?). That translates to 200 superchargers.

From the data, I predict the next routes will be:
I-45 between Houston and Dallas/Fort Worth
I-75 between Atlanta and Miami.
I-10 between LA and Phoenix

Not sure for Chicago and Denver.

I hope the "Chicago" one is not in the state at all, but rather at the Michigan City, Indiana outlet malls. This would help Tesla's goal of making it possible to go across the country while enabling Chicagoans to go up the Michigan coastline as many do for vacation. COME ON TESLA :)

Come on Tesla, indeed! I live right at the corner of I-15 and I-80 one of which runs from San Diego to Canada, the other from the Golden Gate Bridge to the George Washington Bridge! But - Traveling from here in any direction, there is an awful lot of what most people would call empty space. Just sayin'. Maybe by the time we get a Tesla store, we'll have some SuperChargers. ML

> That works for me except that first I have to get from DFW to SF to go to Seattle. [jerry33]

Assuming we are not doing 'CannonBall Runs' (2 drivers going 24/7) you could place 'virtual SCs' on your route map where an overnight stay would be indicated and campgrouds with 14-50 outlets exist. One such is Rawlins, WY on I-80. Two large CGs with plenty 14-50s. Hotels/Motels next door. Just checked this one out myself so you can put it on your map.
--

Your response, WyColo, pinpoints what I dread utmost about the present and near-future prospects of long-distance traveling with an EV:
Two large CGs with plenty of 14-50s. Hotels/Motels next door.
Those are precisely the last places I ever would look to spend a night.

Over the past 20 years, I have taken AT LEAST one long road trip each year: the very shortest would have been 6,000 miles; two have been over 20,000 miles. I have stayed in chain or in strip motels exactly four nights in all that time...three have been in the eight years since I've been married.

I know others' opinions vary, but as for me, if I can't have access to a fast charge, the utility to me of an EV is going to be limited to trips to and about town, not for, so to speak, Seeing The USA (And Canada!).

@AudobonB:

So where/how do you tend to spend the night??

With the S one could bedroll in the back or tent out as a default, of course. But I'm guessing the S demographic will opt for fresh sheets & a hot shower. Btw, one of the Rawlins cgs has a few cabins.

I prefer to pull some sort of trailer & stay at Rest Areas or Truck stops. Haven't stayed at a motel on a trip for ten years.
--

I hope Tesla starts choosing out of the way locations along interstates to allow for long distance drivers to charge up rather than freeloaders to charge up. This supercharger network was never meant to be the free gas station to get around town, it was meant for long distance driving.