Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon confirms new supercharger capabilities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So where/how do you tend to spend the night??

With the S one could bedroll in the back or tent out as a default, of course. But I'm guessing the S demographic will opt for fresh sheets & a hot shower. Btw, one of the Rawlins cgs has a few cabins.-

I try for a bed & breakfast whenever possible. The owners are usually nice folks and you often get to chat with the three or four other guests as well.

Urban numbers, therefore useless. Superchargers are for intercity travel.
I disagree. Urban numbers offer an indirect way to tell popular routes while taking population into account. And I think the routes I pointed out are likely high up on the list of most traveled intercity routes by car.

The way I'd do it would be to look up research on the most popular *pairs of cities* to travel between, and build the superchargers along those routes first. So yes, LA to SF first, and yes, Houston to Dallas early, but ignore the high driving rates *within* metro areas.
The only data on this is the 1995 American Transportation Study:
http://www.transtats.bts.gov/Tables...an Travel Survey (ATS) 1995&DB_Short_Name=ATS

Top ten origin and destination pairs are (keep in mind this includes all types of transportation and does not give heavier weight to areas with higher population):
DC to NY
Portland to Seattle
Providence to NY
Eugene to Portland
DC to Norfolk
DC to Philadelphia
Las Vegas to LA
Nashville to Atlanta
Phoenix to Tuscon
Birmingham to Atlanta

Supercharger or not, every EVSE has no current going through it until it's plugged into the vehicle and receives a proper signal. It's hard to imagine anything safer. You can even test this with your UMC. Plug it in halfway and it will only draw 16 amps because it hasn't received the signal to draw more (of course if it's not plugged in at all there is no current at all.

You have quelled so many fears over the past 6 months, through solid understanding and simple explanation. Never log out because we will most all be lost.

- - - Updated - - -

Some more useless & off-topic discussion:

The 120 kW (which is 250 Amp at 480 V) maximum Supercharger Capacity is irrelevant in this case. Current is determined by load, not supply.

The SuperChargers give out 480 V. The human body resistance is 100k Ohm (when dry)...

Read: when supercharging after a rainstorm when the wipers throw a cup of water on you as you get in the car, your Ohms of resistance go down and you charge more efficiently. Apparently this does not benefit the car.

Today -> Elon: There is a way for the Tesla Model S to be recharged throughout the country faster than you could fill a gas tank.

Hmmm?

To quote Captain Kirk from StarTrek "More power, Scotty"

SuperCharging at 1C (90KW) now, nearly 1.5C on the "new generation" (120KW). Suppose 2C or 3C is possible without too much pack degradation, and you combine it with a one time use "metal air battery", you get replacement "modules" and water at the SuperCharger locations from a vending machine. The one time use battery has 1,000 mile range, just replace the "metal" and add water... Could be a new option or retrofit in the Model S, and perhaps they have a demo car already done and working (he hinted about a reveal/demo in a recent tweet). Adding a few quarts of water is faster than filling a conventional gas tank.

Edit: with the above system, you have a 1,300 mile range vehicle that's "filled" in 15 minutes.
A typical ICE vehicle would need 2 or 3 stops at a gas station to accomplish this, clearly this is faster than fueling the ICE alternative.

Last edited:
The frunk has a weird square cubby in the back. Wouldn't that be a natural place for battery that could be swapped? It's right under the "nose".

You would roll in like you would an automatic car wash; the discharged pack unbolted and lowered from the bottom of the car and a new charged pack swapped in. You would never leave your car; it can be done in <5 minutes (e.g. "faster than you could fill your car with gas").

Supercharging can't scale; with 30-60 minute wait times and MS's owner already queuing. Enthusiasts (us) can tolerate this... the 'average' consumer will not. It would also open another market for Tesla; Condo/Apartment dwellers who don't have charging ability at 'home'.

Yet Tesla is spending serious time, money and effort into setting up SC infrastructure. And all the while they have a better alternative around the corner. Naaaah.

You still need SC ability... to charge the swaps and for those who just need a quick top up. It's all going as planned... Tesla > SuperChargers > Pack Swaps > SolarCity

Yet Tesla is spending serious time, money and effort into setting up SC infrastructure. And all the while they have a better alternative around the corner. Naaaah.

^ This.

It doesn't make sense to have a SC infrastructure and a battery exchange program (whether Li-ion or Al-air).

The only thing I can think of that would justify both is if a battery exchange program has a big downside. E.g. Al-air swap costs $60 per 300 miles. But it is a very thin argument. It would have to by mere coincidence be at such a perfect price point for people to still want to use the supercharger, but not so expensive that nobody would use the Al-air batteries.

I haven't seen or been able to make an argument that's anywhere near coherent and takes into account all we know to date. Which might mean there is something we don't know. Uhh... I mean something that can't be explained by anybody's grasp of the current state of the art - rather than merely being an execution on something we know of.

Sigh.

The Model S needs to come with a build in Valium dispenser from all the stress that its owner encounters due to Elon Musk's twitter account.

There are anecdotal reports (backed up by the baseline specs of the 18650 cells) that the Model S battery packs are proving to be practically indestructible in ongoing long term lab testing.

What if they've found that 2C charging will only result in "damage" that will leave the pack still far more durable than any equivalent ICE vehicle?

Early promises for SuperCharging were fairly dramatically reduced as the initial production date got closer, and my recollection is that there was discussion that Tesla didn't have time to validate faster charging protocols. Maybe the required time has passed and they all they need to do is send out a software update.

That "weird square" is where the front motor (AWD) goes on the Model X and eventually where it will go when AWD is available on the MS.

I think was discussed in another thread. But the motor + inverter + gear box is too big to fit in that cubby. If there's an AWD S, you'll lose more than just the cubby. And they have to shift around existing components to get the axel in and everything connected to it.