Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon confirms NO FSD transfer will be offered :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe not today, but eventually they can use it as a marketing incentive for current owners to buy new. Economically, it is just a discount off of new sticker, but psychologically it can make folks feel a little better that they are getting a little something.

By the time it makes sense for them to do this they will only be offering subscription fsd.

But he did make sure to confirm that you do get valuation at trade-in if the car you are trading in has FSD. (He just didn't specify how much.)

So for people that bought FSD early, or when it was on sale, might get a $5k credit (50% of current price) which is the same, or more, than they actually paid.) Or maybe they value it at 75% ($7,500). I wish they were more transparent about that.

Anyone care to test this and get trade in quotes for their car with FSD? I might see what they offer this week to see if it’s true.

This has yet to be proven true. Have you received a trade in quote for your car? If so, please provide details and how you conclude you’re getting close to $10k more in trade in than a vehicle w/o FSD.

My car doesn't have FSD. But I have seen a couple people report getting credit. The person that originally reported the problem to Elon on Twitter, and @DÆrik/@MorrisonHiker when they traded in a vehicle recently. (I'm pretty sure other people have reported reasonable trade-in values as well.)

Anyone care to test this and get trade in quotes for their car with FSD? I might see what they offer this week to see if it’s true.
I reported this in the last page.

I got a quote in december before Elon's tweet, and just recieved another quote yesterday for less.

$34,400CAD for a 2018 Model 3 Long Range RWD with FSD (66,000km)

So.. Tesla doesn't care if you have FSD.

Then you can't really prove either way what they valued FSD.
Except i can because when i got my quote in december it was before Elon's tweet AND it was a higher quote.

So let's say for argument sake that Tesla is including FSD value in that offer. Hypothetically at 50% which would be $5000CAD (eventhough FSD was supposed to increase in value.. lol), that means Tesla only values the car at $29,400CAD. ($23,000USD)

Lol ok.

Except i can because when i got my quote in december it was before Elon's tweet AND it was a higher quote.
You weren't able to prove back then either, since you have no idea what they value a car like yours without FSD. The calendar year has changed now (plus since then Tesla released a refresh 2021 Model 3 with a lot of improvements), so the value could have gone down due to that.

So let's say for argument sake that Tesla is including FSD value in that offer. Hypothetically at 50% which would be $5000CAD (eventhough FSD was supposed to increase in value.. lol), that means Tesla only values the car at $29,400CAD. ($23,000USD)

Lol ok.
They might. The main thing is you don't know. Unless you have an identical car without FSD, there is no way to know.

Tesla giving trade in values $15k less than expected is not unprecedented.

Trade in Values ?

Last edited:
You weren't able to prove back then either, since you have no idea what they value a car like yours without FSD. The calendar year has changed now (plus since then Tesla released a refresh 2021 Model 3 with a lot of improvements), so the value could have gone down due to that.

They might. The main thing is you don't know. Unless you have an identical car without FSD, there is no way to know.

Tesla giving trade in values $15k less than expected is not unprecedented.

Trade in Values ?
Well that can be remedied. We have a large owner base on these forums.

Anyone car to try to getva quote from tesla whoever has a similar model 3 without FSD?

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
Buying FSD and having it be not transferable is the same as buying Final Cut Pro on the Mac and having it be not transferable, even though it’s still your own account.

Except for the fact that buying FCP once for you computer does not guarantee you will receive all future updates to the program for the life of your machine. Now then, computers might not last as long as we hope the vehicles will, but I think the differentiation is still there.

I’m not necessarily here to justify Tesla’s current policy; but, when I was looking for a used MX from Tesla, I was only looking for models with FSD and they were more expensive than the models without it. If I had decided to go to the private market, for a used Tesla, I would have expected to pay more for one that had FSD.

I decided to purchase a MY so my options are either to purchase the FSD up front (and for my situation—finance the cost) or wait for the tbd subscription option. The only issue with subscription is that it might get more expensive over time so you cannot necessarily just divide $10K by what you suspect will be the timeframe you’ll own the vehicle.

The whole app analogy is bad.

If I buy FCP on my Apple ID, I have no options to resell it. When I resell my Tesla, FSD goes with the car, increasing its price.

Besides, if you buy FSD now for $10K, it's VERY likely that you'll be able to resale your car in 3 years and lose no money whatsoever for the FSD option, since FSD will be ~$15K or more by then.

Many of the people here are simply taking the best parts of everything they're aware of and placing the burden on Tesla to fulfill their desires.

Buying FSD and having it be not transferable is the same as buying Final Cut Pro on the Mac and having it be not transferable, even though it’s still your own account.
Never heard of OEM licenses? If you buy Windows with a system builder license, that license is tied with your motherboard and can't be transferred to any other computer (it checks your hardware signature). Tesla is doing the same thing here, and it's simply tradition with car options. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is precedent of any car option that transfers with the owner to their next car.

As to the next point, this whole thing would be moot when the subscription comes out. The software world is also moving to subscription based too and there are more and more software you can no longer get with a lifetime license.

The whole app analogy is bad.

If I buy FCP on my Apple ID, I have no options to resell it. When I resell my Tesla, FSD goes with the car, increasing its price.

Besides, if you buy FSD now for $10K, it's VERY likely that you'll be able to resale your car in 3 years and lose no money whatsoever for the FSD option, since FSD will be ~$15K or more by then.

Many of the people here are simply taking the best parts of everything they're aware of and placing the burden on Tesla to fulfill their desires.

Does FSD increase the price of the car if it’s still not true FSD? I’m not challenging, just asking. I think it has the potential to increase the value of the car to a certain degree if and only if it’s a true FSD product. Right now autopilot is free. And to be honest it is 99% as good as FSD in my opinion.

I have yet to see proof of increased trade in value from Tesla for a car with FSD vs one w/o. I have FSD, please prove me wrong.

Does FSD increase the price of the car if it’s still not true FSD? I’m not challenging, just asking.

Yes, it does, because the buyer has no other option but to pay more for FSD-enabled cars.

Plus, as I said before, it's VERY likely that the price of FSD package will be $15K+ in 3 years, so if you buy FSD now, the resale value of the package (+ your car) won't be under $8-10K in 3 years.

As for trade in value, Tesla should consider FSD for trade ins. But this topic seems to be about transfers.

Enhanced Auto Pilot is all I can ever see wanting. I like driving and don't want the car doing the fun part. As long as AP can do the boring stay-in-the-lane portion without hands, I'll be happy.

I actually agree with you. But most people with enhanced autopilot have HW2.5, and now with all the resources on HW3, I expect EAP will always be a crap shoot beta. I would love to have FSD NoA for the freeway, and park assist and summon that actually work, but I don’t think that’ll ever happen for HW2.5 owners

I actually agree with you. But most people with enhanced autopilot have HW2.5, and now with all the resources on HW3, I expect EAP will always be a crap shoot beta. I would love to have FSD NoA for the freeway, and park assist and summon that actually work, but I don’t think that’ll ever happen for HW2.5 owners

if FSD reaches a point where subscriptions models are a thing than I imagine they'll use that to get HW2.5 people over to HW3. Something like 6 months free FSD with a purchase of an upgrade. So even if they don't continue on with FSD after those 6 months they fall back to the EAP feature set. An EAP feature that's not the old code, but the new code the requires HW3.

I bought well before the subscription model was mention by Elon. So I have EAP+FSD because I felt like paying $3K was justifiable for the promised upgrade to HW3. In fact out of the EAP+FSD the only thing of any real value that I feel like I've gotten so far is HW3.

As to actual autonomous driving I don't believe HW3 is capable of it due to weather limitations with 5 out of the 8 cameras. The 3 forward looking ones are good. The rear view one is the best I've ever had in a vehicle, but still not good enough. What concerns me the most are the side ones as they are the ones that always trigger the "camera blinded" error message. There also isn't any redundancy so I think regulators simply won't allow for truly L3 (or beyond) autonomous driving.

So it's always going to be L2 driving.

But, I think that's fine due to all the issues that need to get ironed out.

Most of why I'm unhappy with the current EAP feature set is for nav, and nav interpretation reasons.

With Smart Summons I was able to improve it at least for the parking lot at work by updating the map in OpenStreetmaps. Now I never managed 10/10 or even close to 10/10 on performance (the same start and same stop point), but it was better.

For NoA I'm trying to rile up the local WA state people to push Tesla to fix broken things. In fact I'm thinking of funding a prize winning challenge myself. I'm seriously thinking of giving (or a chartable contribution )$500 to the first person who drives on NoA (with unconfirmed lane changes with a set speed of at least +5mph) from Portland, OR to Everett, WA with zero interventions. I'll put a time limit on the challenge so that if no one wins the primary challenge they still have a chance of winning $500 for the closest attempt.

My feeling is the lack of feedback from customers to Tesla is why NoA sucks so bad in places outside of California.

Reactions: edseloh
if FSD reaches a point where subscriptions models are a thing than I imagine they'll use that to get HW2.5 people over to HW3. Something like 6 months free FSD with a purchase of an upgrade. So even if they don't continue on with FSD after those 6 months they fall back to the EAP feature set. An EAP feature that's not the old code, but the new code the requires HW3.
I haven't been following closely, but wasn't the only feature that HW3 had that HW2.5 didn't (under EAP) extra visualizations (which was later added to HW2.5 anyways). I don't think the codebase is any different in terms of how AP functions between the two.

Also I'm not sure if the codebase for EAP will actually shift to the FSD when FSD is ready. Was any statement actually made that suggested this would happen?

Reactions: McFlurri