Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon confirms NO FSD transfer will be offered :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the comparison for Super Cruise, a much worse system compared to FSD package. And btw, Tesla offers basic AP, which is arguably better than Super Cruise for "free":

Screenshot_20210129-085701_Chrome.jpg

And since then Elon has said he fixed that. He also reiterated that on the call today. People have confirmed that it changed.
well, got my new updated quote...

$35,400CAD for a 2018 Model 3 Long Range RWD with FSD (65,000km)

That is actually LOWER than the quote i got a month ago.

So again I will say that Tesla DOES NOT give a damn whether you bought FSD. They put ZERO value into it.

Here's the comparison for Super Cruise, a much worse system compared to FSD package. And btw, Tesla offers basic AP, which is arguably better than Super Cruise for "free":

View attachment 631944

It's also important to note that supercruise requires a subscription service. I don't love how Tesla are handling this FSD disaster but at least they aren't REQUIRING us to be an ongoing revenue stream… yet.

I guess the good thing about this is that when you go shopping for a used tesla you might come across one that doesn't consider FSD to boost the price of the car, so in that case, it would be okay. The person just has to buy a used tesla. It kinda contradicts the whole narrative of appreciating asset that Elon was talking about, but at least at this point, the ads I'm seeing on used cars are pretty decent. Overall, I'm a first day reservation person, so I'm glad I haven't had an accident yet with my car to be in this predicament.

I guess the good thing about this is that when you go shopping for a used tesla you might come across one that doesn't consider FSD to boost the price of the car, so in that case, it would be okay. The person just has to buy a used tesla. It kinda contradicts the whole narrative of appreciating asset that Elon was talking about, but at least at this point, the ads I'm seeing on used cars are pretty decent. Overall, I'm a first day reservation person, so I'm glad I haven't had an accident yet with my car to be in this predicament.
yea, I'm thinking from this point on I will only buy a used Tesla (since they just throw in FSD). Looking at a Cybertruck for maybe 2025 (so i might end up with a 2023 or 2024 model with FSD)

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
Can someone point me to the time where Tesla promised this sort of thing for FSD? Either on the order page or otherwise?

I don't agree that buying apps on your iphone is akin to fsd, at least not as a historical precedent.

Buying FSD and having it be not transferable is the same as buying Final Cut Pro on the Mac and having it be not transferable, even though it’s still your own account.

An iPhone app is cheap, so not such a big deal. On the other hand, software worth hundreds or thousands of dollars being tied only to a single piece of hardware is harder to rebuy.

Even expensive CAD software ($100k per seat) that is licensed based makes it transferable when upgrading hardware.

Tesla just wants to be able to switch back and forth between the software and hardware models whenever it suits them to squeeze every last penny from customers, because there is no competition in EVs. This has worked for my first Tesla purchase, but will definitely factor into whether I will buy another car from them.

Buying FSD and having it be not transferable is the same as buying Final Cut Pro on the Mac and having it be not transferable, even though it’s still your own account.

That'd be true if this happened with other OEMs as well. There's no precedent for this in cars.

We're essentially punishing Tesla for providing the best FSD software and hardware available (by far) for consumers by demanding every bit of benefit for us, which is fine as consumers, but I find it a bit too much IMO.

Tesla didn't have to put the full hardware suite into every car, yet they did, and even if you didn't buy FSD, you'd benefit from that. FSD was always a discretionary purchase with the understanding that the timelines are uncertain and it was a risk. Despite the risk, the FSD package has always provided worthwhile benefit for the price (compared to other OEMs).

The people comparing fsd to apps aren't thinking it through imo.

First of all, many apps now are subscription based. Not only are they subscription based, but they also limit the # of users for the app. For the apps that you can purchase, example was made for Final Cut Pro, you can use these apps on multiple computers / devices under the same account, so it's not a proper comparison to FSD.

Plus, we're asking Tesla to make fsd transferable, when they have none of their other software services or account features transferable. This would have Tesla code new features into their software to deal with transferring and reconciling fsd transfers, along with all the customer support overhead to deal with confused consumers or technical issues.

It all just seems unreasonable, when there was no expectation it would be transferable in the first place.

Maybe Tesla should refund or apply the portion of FSD that MINUS what is actually working on the $10k fee we paid for it. If you consider FSD 20% complete the Tesla would refund $8,000. It’s doubly hard on us that have already purchased it and haven’t received much real world value from it at all and be given little to no value at trade in or resale.

(Caveat here, Elon is the only one that seems to think a $10k FSD purchase should warrant a $12k resale at this point)....but he doesn’t want to buy my car so.....smh

Reactions: pilotSteve

An iPhone app is cheap, so not such a big deal. On the other hand, software worth hundreds or thousands of dollars being tied only to a single piece of hardware is harder to rebuy.

Even expensive CAD software ($100k per seat) that is licensed based makes it transferable when upgrading hardware.

Tesla just wants to be able to switch back and forth between the software and hardware models whenever it suits them to squeeze every last penny from customers, because there is no competition in EVs. This has worked for my first Tesla purchase, but will definitely factor into whether I will buy another car from them.

Yes -- but the big difference here is that when you buy final cut pro, you're at least using it right away. What is jacked up here is that there are many first day reservation people who are putting miles on their car and may use half the life of the car, the way it's going, before they actually use it. That is way different from having years upon years of immediate use of Final Cut Pro and then having to change Macs. That is normal. What is not normal is this 2019 FSD promise, then 2020, then 2021. And stuff like that. And to top it off, let's say your car gets totaled. Then you may actually buy a software you will never actually use. There's risk enough with paying it forward, but then there's this risk, which I think is going too far. Especially since Tesla can have a special transfer situation for totaled vehicle situations. I'm sure they could require insurance papers that detail the accident for verification before issuing a transfer. All Tesla is doing is unlocking the vehicle.

I'm a first - day reservation person, so I get fanboyism, but some people have to start see wrong when you see wrong.

well, got my new updated quote...

$35,400CAD for a 2018 Model 3 Long Range RWD with FSD (65,000km)

That is actually LOWER than the quote i got a month ago.

So again I will say that Tesla DOES NOT give a damn whether you bought FSD. They put ZERO value into it.

People claim Elon fixed it, but I haven't seen any official statement on what dollar figure is attached to FSD on a trade in. It should be a simple equation where people could see exactly what it's worth.

This is a vital question for anyone considering a new Tesla to ask.

For the mass majority of us with FSD we have the HW3 computer + the HW3 Sensor Suite This is something that currently cost $10K new, and doesn't do anything better/different than what we have today. We know full well that what we have falls well short of full self-driving. Even what it does so is so inconsistent that I could easily see someone simply not use it as that inconsistency leads to embarrassment on the road.

One of the best regarded features is auto-lane change, but I've seen this fail fairly often when a semi-truck is in the right lane I'm instructing it to change lanes into the middle lane after passing someone. The onscreen representation of the truck bounces between lanes, and it cancels it as a result. Despite this failure mode it's still my favorite feature aside from TACC, but their both more error prone than I'd like.

It's likely that an FSD owner is going to feel a bit cheated. So the best way to keep that person as a Tesla owner is to make them feel like Tesla has their back. As long as that person stays a Tesla owner I see no issues with crediting them whatever amount they paid for FSD (either FSD by itself at $8K or EAP+FSD for $8K) on a trade in. Just as a good will gesture because nothing about EAP/FSD really works all that well.

If they don't do that it's likely that the customer will lose interest in the Tesla brand. Like I've had two Tesla's so far, and I'm likely going to jump ship to either a Rivian or an E-Tron GT. If Tesla played their cards differently I could have very well have ended up in a new Model X as I've had the S, and the 3 so not just finish it off?

Now I'm not going to leave for another 2 years or so. That will give time for FSD to finally reach its anticipated conclusion. Where it will either lead to truly autonomous driving or Tesla will have to admit that the Sensor suite just isn't suited to it.

My Model 3 Performance is a 2018, and I rarely keep my "expensive, but this is my choice of drug" for more than 3-4 years. It's hard to remain idled if there is something new, and exciting. The E-Tron GT is rather mean looking, and I like that. The Model 3 always looks like it has a smile on it. Not a smug "I'm quicker than you" smile, but a "life is so happy, and I want to spread joy" smile that's the absolute worst. :p

The Rivian is alluring to my adventure side, and it has to be the truck despite the SUV being more practical for me.