Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Confirms that the FSD sneak peak is for car with HW3 only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know... That video was less than perfect. The video from earlier this year was in another league of smooth.

20/20 hindsight always applies. The 2016 owners didn’t have a 2019 video to compare. Trust me, these forums were over the moon about those videos. Then Elon told us the first FSD features would release in late 2017. We didn’t even know those videos were essentially faked until the CA self driving report came out a year later.

It has been a long wait, and one that isn’t over yet. So being last on the upgrade list (HW2.0 cars) has got to sting.

20/20 hindsight always applies. The 2016 owners didn’t have a 2019 video to compare. Trust me, these forums were over the moon about those videos. Then Elon told us the first FSD features would release in late 2017. We didn’t even know those videos were essentially faked until the CA self driving report came out a year later.

It has been a long wait, and one that isn’t over yet. So being last on the upgrade list (HW2.0 cars) has got to sting.

Essentially faked? How so? Watching that 2016 video the car behaves in a few situations similarly to how it behaves with Smart Summon, actually - randomly stopping for no apparent reason etc. Looks pretty legit to me.

Essentially faked? How so? Watching that 2016 video the car behaves in a few situations similarly to how it behaves with Smart Summon, actually - randomly stopping for no apparent reason etc. Looks pretty legit to me.

It took 180 disengagements and 550 miles to get those single clean runs. They basically did the same route over and over until they had 1 good one for the video. So the videos were vastly over selling the current state of the software. Disengagement Report for Autonomous Cars in California 2016

It is useful to know Tesla’s history on this to take the 2019 Autonomy day videos and rides into context. Yes, they are farther along, but they tend to oversell where they are, so we might still be a long ways from real useful FSD.

What do they mean by FSD. Driving on well marked roads. Or able to navigate paved and unpaved roads. Stop signs Yield signs and one way signs. Traffic lights, Traffic lights with only flashing yellow solid yellow and red setup. Will it know to treat a Traffic light that is out as a four way stop. Will it stop for school buses even on a multi lane road. They should improve smart summon first

I’m in a lot later in this game and things have progressed well (in my mind) since I got my car in mid-2019. So I have a very different experience when it comes to FSD promises and expectations.

That said, if what you say is true - it’s hard to argue too much. That said, delays are inevitable, though, and you will get FSD.
Don’t know exactly how they're rolling out the HW3 upgrades but definitely frustrating for owners who’ve paid for FSD 2+ years ago without seeing any significant features to FSD.

I’m with @pilotSteve in that one of my main motivators in purchasing FSD was the early FSD video. I’m very patient and understand delays, etc. but can certainly empathize with other owners who’ve waited so long. Maybe if TESLA started the retrofits by FSD purchase date, and they communicated that, it would go a long way to calm the waters?

It took 180 disengagements and 550 miles to get those single clean runs. They basically did the same route over and over until they had 1 good one for the video. So the videos were vastly over selling the current state of the software. Disengagement Report for Autonomous Cars in California 2016

It is useful to know Tesla’s history on this to take the 2019 Autonomy day videos and rides into context. Yes, they are farther along, but they tend to oversell where they are, so we might still be a long ways from real useful FSD.

I just read that linked article and I think you’re mis-representing it. Nothing in there refers to the video (if it’s the one I’m thinking of) to get one clean run. The numbers in the report are a total miles and total disengagement’s throughout the year. Not one single road or anything like that which is how your post reads

Most likely the sneak peek is more visualizations (e.g. stop lights and stop signs)

Is it a bit annoying I wont have those or cones? Yea. But it isnt like those features actually do anything yet besides display things. So I'm fine not having it

Once others can actually turn FSD on and have the car drive and I cant, then yes I'm pissed. But just have visuals on the screen? Meh.

I’m a little disappointed but not surprised. I’m more disappointed that they haven’t announced any real plans for retrofits and again failed to deliver on feature complete by the end of the year.

It sounds like this FSD sneak preview could include part or all of FSD feature complete to EA members by the end of the year. If true, then Tesla will in fact be taking a step towards delivering on feature complete by the end of the year.

Last edited:
Do have this correct? You’re thinking that the general Tesla owner population would prefer a bonus to fewer owners?
I don't care what the "general Tesla owner population" thinks. This is all about fairness toward the early FSD buyers who spent thousands of dollars long ago based on Tesla's promises and have received nothing. If this sneak peek is a "bonus", they deserve to get it first.

I don't care what the "general Tesla owner population" thinks. This is all about fairness toward the early FSD buyers who spent thousands of dollars long ago based on Tesla's promises and have received nothing. If this sneak peek is a "bonus", they deserve to get it first.
Thank you for being so clear. Some people think of the greatest good for the greatest number. Some people think of “the greatest good for me or people like me”.