Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Confirms that the FSD sneak peak is for car with HW3 only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really odd to jump to 50 in the absence of 2019.40.3 to 2019.40.49 :p

I'm wondering in this case if they're applying the week number to the minor version. So 2019.40.50 would be a minor version applied to the 40th week code done in the 50th week?

It’s uncommon but not especially odd. The 40 is when they created a release branch (or “fork”) from their master branch (or “trunk”) - usually every week but I’m not sure it’s a strict week number count as others seem to assume. The third digit is normally incremented for each change (a fix or feature enablement) they move to that branch from master in order to get it ready for release.

The jump to 50 most likely means they ported some major changes in which they want to deliver to some audience (e.g. Early Access, or a 0.1% initial rollout), but they want to be able to rev the earlier versions for other customers either for additional features or any necessary bug fixes that crop up, without picking up the work that’s being rolled out to EA.

Last edited:
If you believe everything they say, it has been running in "shadow mode" for years now without requiring any "sneak previews".

Huh? We know exactly how AutoPilot has been operating in shadow mode... there’s nothing to “believe” here, with the right setup you can dump the data from the car and see that it most definitely operates AP in shadow mode whenever you’re driving (and not in AP), and that they collect training data and labels using this to improve the system.

Right. Andrej Karpathy himself (Senior Director of Artifical Intelligence at Tesla) has talked about this in a few presentations.

I really don’t know what you expect Tesla to do differently. Would you rather there be no sneak previews for people with HW3? Would you rather nobody get any HW3-specific features until every single FSD-buyer has the HW3 retrofit in their car? Seems a bit...selfish, no?
Maybe just retrofit the cars then sneak peak everyone?? I’ve had 3 new Tesla’s now and I have to say it’s very hard to be happy with my ap2.0 car knowing full well they likely won’t update it for a LONG time even tho I paid for it over 3 years ago. It’s frustrating to say the least. My car has about 100k miles on it and not sure how long we will keep it, would be nice to get a refund after a certain amount of time.... like well we tried but after 3++ years we just can’t get it done!!

I do feel like they’re very close on all hw3 cars and I truly believe that but why even take our money if it’s apparently just sitting in a trust account since none of it has been realized as income. A 100 or 1k deposit would work just the same...

Lots of lease people will be super bummed

Reactions: Ludalicious
It’s the FSD preview, updates voice command and some other little goodies like read and send text.

Attachments

• CBA36573-7F44-4086-82BB-7D3A2833F2EC.jpeg
    CBA36573-7F44-4086-82BB-7D3A2833F2EC.jpeg
    498.2 KB · Views: 168
  • 6D722EC8-9790-4FD8-A795-0FD7F83B4B36.jpeg
    6D722EC8-9790-4FD8-A795-0FD7F83B4B36.jpeg
    498.6 KB · Views: 144
Huh? We know exactly how AutoPilot has been operating in shadow mode... there’s nothing to “believe” here, with the right setup you can dump the data from the car and see that it most definitely operates AP in shadow mode whenever you’re driving (and not in AP), and that they collect training data and labels using this to improve the system.
What you are referring to isn’t anywhere near as advanced as people were led to believe, has started much later than they claimed, and at a very limited scale. But that wasn’t even the point.

Maybe just retrofit the cars then sneak peak everyone?? I’ve had 3 new Tesla’s now and I have to say it’s very hard to be happy with my ap2.0 car knowing full well they likely won’t update it for a LONG time even tho I paid for it over 3 years ago. It’s frustrating to say the least. My car has about 100k miles on it and not sure how long we will keep it, would be nice to get a refund after a certain amount of time.... like well we tried but after 3++ years we just can’t get it done!!

I do feel like they’re very close on all hw3 cars and I truly believe that but why even take our money if it’s apparently just sitting in a trust account since none of it has been realized as income. A 100 or 1k deposit would work just the same...

Lots of lease people will be super bummed

So you mean you do want everyone to have to wait to get the preview until everyone has HW3? That makes no sense.

I was expecting something a little different. Displaying signs was already available years ago and got taken away.

Thing is, there’s displaying signs (circle render on dash screen with one speed sign) and then there’s displaying signs: correct sign with correct size, orientation and position together with a 3D visualization of the vehicle surroundings and not just one sign but however many are there at the same time.

This is what I imagine coming now

Reactions: BrandonLive
Found this clip on reddit with Eli Burton and Alex Guberman. Eli says that he has a friend in EA who got the FSD sneak preview. He describes it as "street level autopilot" and says it will "blow people's minds" in a couple weeks when videos come out.

Apparently not so much.

Instead it's exactly what I suggested- visualization update for things like stop signs.

Hardly worth the OMG I DID NOT GET HW3 FOLKS freaking out about.

Apparently not so much.

Instead it's exactly what I suggested- visualization update for things like stop signs.

Hardly worth the OMG I DID NOT GET HW3 FOLKS freaking out about.

I agree that it is nothing to freak about if you don't have AP3 yet.

Yes, the FSD sneak preview is just FSD visualizations. But I suspect that actual "automatic city driving" is coming soon after the FSD sneak preview. The fact that 2 people say that "city level autopilot" is coming to EA AP3 before end of this year, makes me think that something more is coming after the FSD sneak preview.

• Helpful
Reactions: jebinc
city level autopilot" is coming to EA AP3 before end of this year, makes me think that something more is coming after the FSD sneak preview.

Yes, but remember how long it took both no-confirmation NoA and Smart Summon to be released to the fleet after the initial EA release. I am guessing we won’t see anything for 6 months.

Reactions: diplomat33
Yes, but remember how long it took both no-confirmation NoA and Smart Summon to be released to the fleet after the initial EA release. I am guessing we won’t see anything for 6 months.

Yup.

I suspect whatever the "we are willing to take max risks with you guys" group of early access folks get city driving 11:59pm Dec 31 so the FSD advertisement isn't a lie... and then it's... a while... before anyone outside EA does.