Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Confirms that the FSD sneak peak is for car with HW3 only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd be curious to see more around what Tesla understands about the lights. For example, I was making a left turn and waiting with the red arrow. Tesla saw both the regular light and the turn light (but there were two left turn arrows - the one straight ahead, and one to the left corner of the street). Tesla also saw the light left of the last left turn arrow on the corner of the street for the cross street direction.

I wonder if it accurate can tell right now which of those far left lights it detected were for turning left and which one was for the cross traffic. The visualization doesn't show arrows (unless my eyes are just bad). But I would ASSUME/HOPE Tesla actually is seeing the arrow vs regular circular light (but just doesn't display that in the visualization) so that it would have known the far left light it detected wasn't an arrow light but the cross traffic light.
They appear to have the lights spaced appropriately so as to tell which lane they belong to. But I'm also curious how they will implement many things associated with traffic lights as well. Right now it appears that they do not recognize the lights until you're very close to them. Perhaps the car is seeing them long before it displays them but we'll just have to wait and see.

And what happens when the car sees the lights at first but then they become blocked (by a big box truck for example)?

We are still so far off FSD that this doesn't even matter. My bet is 2050 before FSD can be implemented and perform like an average driver, assuming no changes in infrastructure to help the cause.
I'm certainly less bullish today than I have been in a while on FSD. I think we are probably 5 years out from decent FSD based on the current hardware.

I think we will see the car stopping for stoplights and stop signs in 2020. We may see it making simple right hand turns but they will be painfully slow and cringe worthy.

But I get your point and I think I agree.

I mentioned this in another thread, but...

Tesla starts activating HW3's Autopilot Dual Redundancy in latest update

Green found that they've now got node 2 on HW3 up and running the full AP software suite as of 40.50 (previously it was sitting there doing nothing)

Wouldn't be any reason to do that (and waste power- which that would do) if they weren't at least CLOSE to needing to test FSD features where the computer rebooting while engaged is not really a safe option- and thus having the ability to fail-over without disengagement is needed.

Personally even if all that got us was L3 highway driving I'd be thrilled- since that's most of my driving anyway.

Reactions: scottf200
We are still so far off FSD that this doesn't even matter. My bet is 2050 before FSD can be implemented and perform like an average driver, assuming no changes in infrastructure to help the cause.

Tesla AP is already doing some things better than an average driver:

1. Keep car centered in a lane;
2. Change lanes safely (without causing a crash);
4. Avoiding a crash via changing lane due to another car moving into your lane.

So it is not really black and white. I think people will start trusting Tesla AP more and more fairly soon (say in a year), in some limited scenarios.

What I would need to trust Tesla AP more on a highway is ability to avoid road debris.

or are knighted,
Would you explain that? Also, I was in the batch of initial purchasers of FSD that Musk said, due to dramatic pricing change, they would invite us into the NDA Early Access Program. Many of us have not heard boo since, except Musk said in a tweet "that is still the plan". That was likely more than a month ago. Is that the EA you refer to or are you referring to Advanced updates?

I'm mostly annoyed that in 2018 the only options were EAP and FSD. If you wanted any steering assist at all, you had to pay $5k for EAP. Since I had already paid that, I bit on the $2k FSD sale last spring. But, rather than having paid $7k total now for FSD that so far has delivered nothing whatsoever, I wish I had had the option of just paying a $2k higher base price for my car including standard autopilot, as that's all I really need. Hopefully I actually get the FSD computer this decade and at least some useful features.

As I said above, if I could just program in all the key info for my drive to work (stop signs, stop lights, which lane to prioritize), it would make the car soooo much more useful. I understand that does not cover the situation of a downed stop sign, lane closure, truck blocking the light, etc. So what. We have to pay attention still anyway. This route is 90% of my driving, so if I could arm it with the info necessary to handle that commute on a normal day, it would be fantastic.

Reactions: SunCharged
I'm mostly annoyed that in 2018 the only options were EAP and FSD. If you wanted any steering assist at all, you had to pay $5k for EAP. Since I had already paid that, I bit on the $2k FSD sale last spring. But, rather than having paid $7k total now for FSD that so far has delivered nothing whatsoever, I wish I had had the option of just paying a $2k higher base price for my car including standard autopilot

What's funny is- that's exactly the argument for WHY they made this change.

People kept saying they wished they could get just TACC/autosteer without spending so much.

So instead we have tons of folks who complain the OTHER way and say they're mad they have to pay more to get things like lane change and wish there was a package for little a little more that is (basically the old EAP)

Can't ever make everyone happy.

I
Hopefully I actually get the FSD computer this decade

Q1 2020 is the when the bulk rollout starts.

What's funny is- that's exactly the argument for WHY they made this change.

People kept saying they wished they could get just TACC/autosteer without spending so much.

So instead we have tons of folks who complain the OTHER way and say they're mad they have to pay more to get things like lane change and wish there was a package for little a little more that is (basically the old EAP)

Can't ever make everyone happy.

They could have just lowered the price of EAP to $3k when they started bundling standard autopilot and charging $2k more for the car. That would have made everyone (or at least more people) happy. Still wouldn't have helped me, since I bought in 2018.