Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Confirms Those Who Purchased FSD get Computer Upgrade Free

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find this to be even more interesting...

"Retrofits will start when our software is able to take meaningful advantage of the Tesla FSD computer, which is an order of magnitude more capable. For now, it’s slightly disadvantageous to have Tesla FSD computer, as our software is more refined for HW2."

Translation: It's going to be at least a year

Translation: It's going to be at least a year

Hes trying delay current owners clammering for the upgrade for the new hardware imo with the statement:
========================

For now, it’s slightly disadvantageous to have Tesla FSD computer, as our software is more refined for HW2."
========================

Tesla model 3 owners have already proven they get very upset if someone who bought the car after they did gets something better than they have. He is saying "dont @ me, current owners, its not any better to get the new hardware right now"

Isn’t this old news?

Depends on how you look at it. The way I see it, its the first time in a while that elon has not simply said "yep" or some such to someone asking the direct question about FSD purchases ALL getting retrofits... at some point. @Knightshade has been consistently beating the drum that elon said it previously. Now, elon has stated in very clear terms that everyone who purchased FSD will get the retrofit (eventually).

I dont remember this being spelled out recently like this by elon in such clear terms, so for me this is not specifically old news, just reconfirmed news that even those of us who got the "cheap" FSD option will also get retrofitted.

@Knightshade you were 1000% correct on this (calling it out since you were steadfast in this)

Just to clarify because some people still cant read. It's been said multiple times and allot of misleading information going around. Black and white again.
20190329_183746.jpg

This is a happy way to start the weekend:

"Anyone who purchased full self-driving will get FSD computer upgrade for free. This is the only change between Autopilot HW2.5 & HW3. Going forward “HW3” will just be called FSD Computer, which is accurate. No change to vehicle sensors or wire harness needed. This is v important."

Elon Musk on Twitter

FSD computer upgrade will be free.
2.5 -> 3 only needs computer upgrade.
2.0 -> 3 needs more. Free computer and what?

Unfortunately, Tesla is incentivized economically to delay retrofits as much as possible. You already gave Tesla your money, and they have enough new cars with HW3 to test stuff. Retrofitting now will put more pressure on the company’s cash flow. So I guess the retrofits are more likely to happen after Tesla achieved profitability.

Now, for the accounting-minded folks, I believe Tesla can recognize FSD money as revenue just with software updates, without delivering the retrofits. But making retrofits happen will require to actually spend more on hardware/service. They may however conveniently delay this until they’re comfortable with their cash flow situation.

I mean, they can just feed higher-res images and at a higher rate to HW3 as opposed to downsampled images at slower rate to HW2.5. This can possibly result in an immediate value for anyone having HW3. But of course Tesla will deny that.

And who can blame Tesla for this small white lie? We are saving the planet by not letting Tesla die and giving them some money.

Doubt we’re going to get a timeline here. If I were to guess Q4 this year is the earliest that we will see any movement.

I said this earlier in another thread, but my expectation for my own retrofit is roughly 1 year from now... and I think thats a GOOD thing as tesla constantly iterates on both software and hardware. Its likely that the "FSD" hardware and or software retrofitted NEXT year will be optimized, where THIS year it is first release.

This is one reason why I keep wondering about people advocating waiting until HW 3 is in the car before buying. My opinion is, if you are buying a car now, and buying FSD, it would actually be better for it NOT to contain HW3 (or FSD computer), because the one you get when you finally get it will likely be further optimized... and there is no current features that take advantage of it now anyway.

If I were buying now, and planning on buying FSD with the car, I would want a 2019 Model year with HW 2.5 so that I could postpone the installation of HW3 until next year sometime... but that may be just me, looking at how tesla does things, and knowing that by next year sometime they will have it down much better than right now.

Same reason I am not pushing for my spoiler right now.. Its highly likely that the spoiler I eventually get will fit better than the ones they originally rolled out. Same principle but with optimized software for HW 3.

Reactions: Vitold
Depends on how you look at it. The way I see it, its the first time in a while that elon has not simply said "yep" or some such to someone asking the direct question about FSD purchases ALL getting retrofits... at some point. @Knightshade has been consistently beating the drum that elon said it previously. Now, elon has stated in very clear terms that everyone who purchased FSD will get the retrofit (eventually).

I dont remember this being spelled out recently like this by elon in such clear terms, so for me this is not specifically old news, just reconfirmed news that even those of us who got the "cheap" FSD option will also get retrofitted.

@Knightshade you were 1000% correct on this (calling it out since you were steadfast in this)

Appreciate it.... FWIW this really is exactly the same as what he said in the Q3 2018 call, where he specifically said HW2.5->3 was "just" a computer swap, and there was no reason whatsoever to "wait" for a factory HW3 car.

But more specific/detailed than his previous twitter-only comments, so if it reassures some more folks that's great.

I said this earlier in another thread, but my expectation for my own retrofit is roughly 1 year from now... and I think thats a GOOD thing as tesla constantly iterates on both software and hardware. Its likely that the "FSD" hardware and or software retrofitted NEXT year will be optimized, where THIS year it is first release.

This is one reason why I keep wondering about people advocating waiting until HW 3 is in the car before buying. My opinion is, if you are buying a car now, and buying FSD, it would actually be better for it NOT to contain HW3 (or FSD computer), because the one you get when you finally get it will likely be further optimized... and there is no current features that take advantage of it now anyway.

If I were buying now, and planning on buying FSD with the car, I would want a 2019 Model year with HW 2.5 so that I could postpone the installation of HW3 until next year sometime... but that may be just me, looking at how tesla does things, and knowing that by next year sometime they will have it down much better than right now.

Same reason I am not pushing for my spoiler right now.. Its highly likely that the spoiler I eventually get will fit better than the ones they originally rolled out. Same principle but with optimized software for HW 3.

Funny thing about that....Elon also mentioned-

Elon Musk said:
Retrofits will start when our software is able to take meaningful advantage of the Tesla FSD computer, which is an order of magnitude more capable. For now, it’s slightly disadvantageous to have Tesla FSD computer, as our software is more refined for HW2.

So yeah- 2.5 owners are actually better off right now than folks getting new HW3 factory cars.

I don't know that'll be an especially long window it's true for, but makes a funny post-script to the whole "WELL HOW CAN I REALLY REALLY REALLY DOUBLE EXTRA BE SURE I SHOULDN'T WAIT?!" argument.

• Helpful
Reactions: dewhite04