Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Confirms Those Who Purchased FSD get Computer Upgrade Free

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only as described it isn't "just like Tesla". Even setting aside the crucial price aspect, which you stubbornly keep trying to leave it out.
So, what’s the difference in feature set?

I guess your claim is that Tesla is ahead of Waymo in achieving FSD at a low price point. I would disagree, I think the right way to develop any new technology is to focus on getting a working system first and then work on getting the cost down. There are numerous historical examples (cellphones, EVs, etc.) of this being the successful course of action.

The big one is scope. Tesla is, roughly, "all public roads". Waymo isn't aiming for that, at least not publicly and probably not in their private business plan given the publicity stated one.
Waymo’s goal is definitely to work on all public roads. If Tesla ever releases FSD (not “FSD features”) I doubt it will work on all public roads on the first release either.

Like you don't even read my post. :/ I never, ever claimed or suggested Tesla was ahead. I very explicitly said it isn't clear at all which is ahead, that anyone claiming with any certainty about this is full of bullshit, because it is so hard to judge given the very different trajectories.

I'm done here. :(
Well in my opinion Tesla is way behind. Unfortunately I don’t think we’ll know for some time because I also think that we’re many years away from anyone deploying level 4-5 autonomous vehicles.
You never know though, maybe Tesla will prove me wrong at the upcoming press conference! I am curious what metric you would use to determine progress.

Gah! CA people I swear...

A Reuben is corned beef.

if you're using Pastrami then it's a Rachel.

It's true, but i'm from NY not CA, never lived out West to be honest. However, even Carnegie Deli ( before they closed ) offered the Rueben as a choice of corn beef of pastrami they didn't differentiate it as a Rachel. It's a crazy world we live in.

Reactions: SammichLover
It's true, but i'm from NY not CA, never lived out West to be honest. However, even Carnegie Deli ( before they closed ) offered the Rueben as a choice of corn beef of pastrami they didn't differentiate it as a Rachel. It's a crazy world we live in.

Over at Katz (where the Pastrami is better anyway) the Reuben is corned beef- though for an upcharge they will swap pastrami on there for you.

FWIW- Carnegie Deli (where the cheesecake and knishes are way better than Katz) still has an open location in Las Vegas, it's in the Mirage...they don't have nearly as big a menu as the old NY location but they've got all the most important stuff

Over at Katz (where the Pastrami is better anyway) the Reuben is corned beef- though for an upcharge they will swap pastrami on there for you.

FWIW- Carnegie Deli (where the cheesecake and knishes are way better than Katz) still has an open location in Las Vegas, it's in the Mirage...they don't have nearly as big a menu as the old NY location but they've got all the most important stuff

Yah, you are not wrong, but I stay away from Carnegie, it's too much of a tourist trap now. Takes hours to get in, just not worth it to me. Plenty of places in NYC to get a great sandwich without the tourist trap.

So were FSD computer upgrades for existing cars discussed at all during the Investor Autonomy day?
I have found any accounts of being addressed one way or the other. (granted I haven't sat through the 4 hour Youtube video)

So were FSD computer upgrades for existing cars discussed at all during the Investor Autonomy day?
I have found any accounts of being addressed one way or the other. (granted I haven't sat through the 4 hour Youtube video)

Not sure what you're looking to be addressed specifically? We've know for a fact since last year the upgrades would be free for anyone who bought FSD.

Musk has stated previously the upgrades would be in the coming months, and wouldn't actually do anything useful until the software was updated (currently new HW3 cars are actually worse than existing HW2.5 cars)

He did mention there'd be ~500k HW3 cars on the road by end of Q2- and given we know they're not gonna deliver more than, max, 100-125k cars in Q2, they'd have to be doing some significant amount of upgrades (though likely not all of em) before June 30 to hit that goal.

Not sure what you're looking to be addressed specifically? We've know for a fact since last year the upgrades would be free for anyone who bought FSD.

Musk has stated previously the upgrades would be in the coming months, and wouldn't actually do anything useful until the software was updated (currently new HW3 cars are actually worse than existing HW2.5 cars)

He did mention there'd be ~500k HW3 cars on the road by end of Q2- and given we know they're not gonna deliver more than, max, 100-125k cars in Q2, they'd have to be doing some significant amount of upgrades (though likely not all of em) before June 30 to hit that goal.
I was really hoping for a clear reiteration during the presentation when they were directly addressing the new hardware.
Some technical discussion as to what was involved in the physical swap would have also been nice.