Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon describes superfast battery production as "bullets through machine gun"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ggnykk

Feb 7, 2016
Earth
With emphasis by Elon to perfect the "machine that creates the machine" and be the best manufacturing company in the world, he mentioned in a conference call yesterday that battery production exit rate will be faster than bullets out of machine gun. The "bullets" here are the batteries.

His comments on this starts at 4:13 in this video, enjoy :)

With emphasis by Elon to perfect the "machine that creates the machine" and be the best manufacturing company in the world, he mentioned in a conference call yesterday that battery production exit rate will be faster than bullets out of machine gun. The "bullets" here are the batteries.

His comments on this starts at 4:13 in this video, enjoy :)

Perhaps not the best time for that comment...

Why? Because shootings happen every day around the world, and especially in America?

Jeff

In a word: yes

Mass shootings happen every day in America, (which warrants its own commentary), but we just had the worst one ever and it involved an assault rifle or if you please a sub-machine gun. I'll admit I don't spend a lot of time trying to differentiate those kinds of things

I wonder if EM was being literal, or just thinking of a Boer era device ?
A quick Google says 100 shots per second.

So at that rate it takes 70 seconds to make a Model S battery. Let's say 30 seconds for a Model 3, so 2 per minute / 120 per hour / 2880 per day / 262800 per year. And then add Model S/X and PowerWalls on top of it.

So 100 per second sounds about right.

Standard machine guns fire at a rate of. 450 to 700 rounds per MINUTE. I'm not sure there is a chain gun or Vulcan that can fire a a rate of 6,000 rounds per minute. I suspect he is thinking of approx 600 rounds per minute.