TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Elon driving cross-country

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by katysplus, Sep 5, 2013.

1. TheTalkingMule

TheTalkingMule Active Member

The Musk Family Truckster Road Trip

What a phenomenal idea. Let's hope Elon can use this as another mini-vacation and de-stress a bit.

I'd be happy to volunteer as your Liberty Bell/Independence Hall tour guide should the Musk family decide to roll through Philadelphia.

2. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Just be sure to refuse giving Aunt Edna a ride, and don't hook the family dog to the liftgate latch.

3. richkae

richkae VIN587

#4 richkae, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
    A lot of those news links go to an old supercharger map ( from the original supercharger expansion announcement date ) that only shows 8 stations instead of the current 19. Thats too bad.

3200 miles over 6 days is only 533 miles per day. Thats somewhere around 268 miles of charging per day ( assuming you start each morning with a full 265 and end the day empty ). A more probable number is 300-350 miles of charging per day and ending each day with some buffer. Seems pretty easy to do that with a dozen correctly placed superchargers and 5 hotels with a L2 charger.

4. justaddsun

justaddsun Member

It would be really cool for Tesla owners to join the Musk family on the road as they drive through their area.

5. aaron.s

aaron.s Member

Would be epic! End on east coast with lots of Model S's!

Aaron

6. justaddsun

justaddsun Member

Big party at every Supercharger :p.

7. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

Absolutely! They should meet at the charging areas and make sure Musk has unfettered access to a station. If it is planned correctly local media could be alerted to cover each segment of the trip.
    Maybe he could do it in an 'X'! :smile:

8. justaddsun

justaddsun Member

Elon Musk To Traverse The U.S. Using A Model S And Tesla Superchargers In 6 Day Trip, With Only 9 Hours Spent Charging | TechCrunch

"This would make a wonderful reality show, but we’ll probably have to settle for snippets from Musk on Twitter and via the official Tesla blog. Here’s hoping for plenty of pictures of Musk and co. mugging next to ‘America’s largest Turkey statue’ or whatever else they happen to come across."

Uh, I think it will be more like live streaming at stops, lots of media, and them coming across a lot of happy Tesla drivers.

9. Jeeps17

Jeeps17 Cath Jockey in a P85

I posted a link to this in the news section early this AM, seems to be stuck in some sort of limbo...

10. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

As cool as that sounds, I think Elon deserves a nice vacation with his kids and some privacy. On the other hand, if he really wanted privacy, he wouldn't have tweeted out the fact that he's doing this. :tongue:

11. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

Elon's serving more than one master in this matter, it would seem.

Maybe he'll make the trip, without fanfare, as soon as all the necessary Superchargers are operational (and perhaps even before the've been announced as operational to other Model S owners)?

12. ppl

ppl Member

I am impressed with either his courage or ignorance. Couped up in a car with 5 young kids cross country for six days. I would not have the courage to do this. After 30 minutes would predict 1. Are we there yet or 2. I have to pee. By 1 hr a verbal fight and by 3 hrs a physical fight. I love my kids but would never attempt this.

13. austinEV

austinEV Active Member

+1. I hope he avoids the temptation to use an ICE chase car with luggage and juiceboxes. And I hope he comes away with a deeper respect for cup holders.

14. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

Sedation administered via sippy cups is a wonderful thing. (One of many reasons why they never leave me alone with children.)

15. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Maybe he'll make the trip and the Supercharger will be turned on as he passes or arrives, like Arthur reawakening the land as he rides. That way he'll be guaranteed a spot.

16. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

This. Elon works crazy hours every week; be nice if we left his kids some private time with dad.

17. ggies07

ggies07 Active Member

I'm confused, his tweet said he spent only 9 hours charging, which is past tense. So I took it as he already did it, but the article and you guys are acting like he hasnt yet......?

18. justaddsun

justaddsun Member

I see where you guys are coming from, but if he wanted privacy he would not be tweeting anything and he would be taking his family to some private island that he owns, lol.

19. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Hopefully 120 kw supercharging will be live by the time the Musk clan embarks on the trip. That should cut down on charge times quite a bit.