Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: "Feature complete for full self driving this year"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Tesla needs to comply fully with the Sheriff's orders. I know it sucks. The fact is that a lot of companies will get hit hard financially from the aftermath of this coronavirus pandemic. But that is the price that everybody needs to pay in the interest of public health. We all have to do our part. These bans, quarantines, and social distancing are necessary to slow down the spread of COVID-19 and save lives. The general wellfare and public health is the most important now.

What did i say?

Let's see what you said:
What's going on right now with the corona virus and Elon's defiance to close his Fremont factory while there is ongoing lock-down on all business, orders from the county and the sheriff
Which is wrong, not all business are locked down. http://www.acgov.org/documents/Final-Order-to-Shelter-In-Place.pdf

No, federal law doesn't supersede state or local law in the way you think. Learn how laws work.
Wrong. The preemption doctrine originates from the supremacy clause of Article 6 of the U.S. Constitution. This doctrine states that any federal law, even if it is only a regulation from a federal agency, supersedes any conflicting state law, even if that law is part of the state's constitution.
Supremacy Clause - Wikipedia

Neither Michigan nor Detroit is under mandatory lock-down. All business are operating and the only thing closed are bars. Restaurants do carry out for example.
Wrong, Michigan orders gyms, cafes, theaters to close; limits bars, restaurants to carry out, delivery amid coronavirus
Michigan orders gyms, cafes, theaters to close; limits bars, restaurants to carry out, delivery amid coronavirus

He tries to come up with BS excuses that they "need to stay open for Homeland security"
Which is a made up quote which is factually wrong (capital Homeland security being ICE and such).

This is simply another lie from Elon. The reports says there weren't a timetable from Tesla.
100% guarantee all workers will be there tomorrow.
Wrong, the Sheriff's office said only 2,500 showed up yesterday.
Tesla’s California factory stays open despite shelter-in-place order
County authorities attempted to give that clarity on Wednesday, according to Alameda County Sheriff’s Office public information officer Ray Kelly.

He said the sheriff’s office discussed the matter with Tesla and explained that employees were permitted to show up to work for tasks such as payroll, but the company should not attempt to keep assembly lines running.

Only about 2,500 of the Tesla factory’s 10,000-person staff were still showing up to the plant, Kelly acknowledged. And he recognized that some government definitions deem automotive manufacturing as “critical infrastructure,” which might be considered an essential business exempt from shelter-in-place rules.

Now the city attorney's are discussing legal recourse.
Really? the Fremont attorney is involved? Got a link? I though it was the County (with the Sheriff making their own interpretation)
Edit for fresth article: Tesla reduces staffing but 'very well could still be making cars'

"Tesla needs to comply with the health order," he said, adding that the county did not want to force people into compliance, but implement changes with their consent.
A spokeswoman for the Fremont Police Department on Wednesday said attorneys for Alameda County and the city were discussing how to interpret the lockdown order by San Francisco Bay Area officials.
"This is all very new and there are a lot of moving parts," the spokeswoman said, adding that the conversations concern all manufacturers in the region.
The attorneys are not discussing enforcement or disobedience measures, but were trying to understand how state and federal exemptions factored in, she said.
This is why we need clear, strict and independent SDC law.
Because SDC somehow has something to do with Covid-19

County says 'no car manufacturing' and guess what Tesla is still doing right now?
County order says:
For the purposes of this Order, “Minimum Basic Operations”include the following, provided that employees comply with Social Distancing Requirements as defined this Section, to the extent possible,while carrying out such operations:
i.The minimum necessary activities to maintain the value of the business’s inventory, ensure security, process payroll and employee benefits,or for related functions.
Any idea what it takes to handle the inbound part shipments to Fremont?

No they are not and the county says they can't make cars and they are still making cars.
Are you going with the Fred article quote that does not give the direct source (County vs Sheriff)?

“We had a good conversation with Tesla today,” said Alameda County spokesman Ray Kelly. “They understand our position. The county explained they cannot continue their business as usual. They have to go on a minimum operations basis.”
Alameda County says Tesla has cut its workforce. But will it stop making cars?

Last edited:
Let's see what you said:

Which is wrong, not all business are locked down. http://www.acgov.org/documents/Final-Order-to-Shelter-In-Place.pdf

None essential business are locked down and can only do payroll related stuff and such on site. which part of that don't you understand?

Wrong. The preemption doctrine originates from the supremacy clause of Article 6 of the U.S. Constitution. This doctrine states that any federal law, even if it is only a regulation from a federal agency, supersedes any conflicting state law, even if that law is part of the state's constitution.
Supremacy Clause - Wikipedia

This is incorrect you are applying a clause that has nothing to do with what's going on. Elon/Tesla is breaking a lawful order.

Wrong, Michigan orders gyms, cafes, theaters to close; limits bars, restaurants to carry out, delivery amid coronavirus
Michigan orders gyms, cafes, theaters to close; limits bars, restaurants to carry out, delivery amid coronavirus

Wrong. All businesses are operating. I know because i live in MI. I didn't include exceptions like "Gyms, fitness centers & movie theaters". When I said businesses i mean regular business not just specifics like gyms and theaters.

Which is a made up quote which is factually wrong (capital Homeland security being ICE and such).

This isn't made up.

Really? the Fremont attorney is involved? Got a link? I though it was the County (with the Sheriff making their own interpretation)
Edit for fresth article: Tesla reduces staffing but 'very well could still be making cars'

Susan Li on Twitter

Wrong, the Sheriff's office said only 2,500 showed up yesterday.
Tesla’s California factory stays open despite shelter-in-place order

All employee that was there yesterday before the "negotiation" are there today after the "negotiation".

What part of that don't you understand?

As the email from today said, nothing has changed.

Stop making stuff up.

In a follow-up call on Wednesday afternoon, Kelly told BuzzFeed News that "producing cars" is not considered essential. If the company is found to be manufacturing automobiles, the county would take action to bring them under compliance with the law, he said.

"[Manufacturing cars] violates our health order and we're asking them to go to basic minimum functions," he said.

County says they CANNOT make cars. Tesla continues to make cars. Elon/Tesla continues to disobey lawful orders. Every other auto factory around the world closed down. Including the Big 3 which are NOT even under lock down. They closed down voluntarily.

Its clear cut. But your love for Tesla has completely clouded your judgment.You are hopeless. I'm done here.

Last edited:
I'm done here.

No you're not. This is better than dope/beer/daytime tv/scratching yourself. You love it here.

In trying to find a balance between lives and livelihoods the law is a clumsy instrument. Negotiations would be a much better route but that would involve not treating people as statistics, which does not seem to be where we are; even on good days.

It seemed pretty straight forwards so I didn't anticipate any non-compliance. Usually with Tesla/Musk I can predict when non-compliance will happen.

But, I'll try this one more time. :)

According to the latest update they will shutdown starting March 24th.

Tesla announces factory shutdown starting on March 24 - Electrek

Nope, just like i said. Just another misdirection. knowing who Elon is you thought he wouldn't defy this? Elon will never shutdown. Just like he will defy whatever SDC law is set in the future and test its limit. The same narrative he is pushing now about covid-19 is the same narrative he pushes and will push more in the future when cars are inevitably more automated.

Russ Mitchell on Twitter

"At 9:30 am lot is one-third full. At 10am at Tesla delivery center, they are delivering cars to customers on site. No masks, no gloves."

*works from home

Since they can't do much with production etc now I hope they have full focus on FSD.

Now would be a good time for Tesla to launch the so-called "operation vacation" project that is supposed to automate the machine learning process so that Autopilot NN can improve on its own without human input.

Third Row Tesla just tweeted this image that appears to be a preview of automatically stopping for red lights. He claims it is coming in the next update.

EUEUWJYU4AEWl8V

Third Row Tesla Podcast on Twitter

Stopping for red lights and stop signs is in Early Access. Here is video:
The Tesla Show on Twitter

We can see in the video that the car will ask the driver to press the accelerator or flip the stalk to resume driving when the light turns green. So there will driver input initially.

We can see in the video that the car will ask the driver to press the accelerator or flip the stalk to resume driving when the light turns green. So there will driver input initially.

That's great and all, but the dangerous part is relying on the car to stop at reds without any user input? Very ballsy of Tesla and Elon, I wonder if this is the new FSD rewrite, doesn't seem so since the lines are jumping around as usual

That's great and all, but the dangerous part is relying on the car to stop at reds without any user input? Very ballsy of Tesla and Elon, I wonder if this is the new FSD rewrite, doesn't seem so since the lines are jumping around as usual

Rewatching the video a couple of times, it actually requires user input (accelerator pedal or gear stalk) to travel through green lights without stopping. So if, in any situation, the neural network accidentally classifies a red light as a green light, it will still come to a stop if the user does not acknowledge it.

I think this is a smart way to start this feature safely, and will be really good training data for the neural network. Users will give input as far away as they can, and they can start to use that input to firm up the confidence.

Rewatching the video a couple of times, it actually requires user input (accelerator pedal or gear stalk) to travel through green lights without stopping. So if, in any situation, the neural network accidentally classifies a red light as a green light, it will still come to a stop if the user does not acknowledge it.

I think this is a smart way to start this feature safely, and will be really good training data for the neural network. Users will give input as far away as they can, and they can start to use that input to firm up the confidence.

That is what it seems like, but that also makes this "FSD" feature completely useless.

It's more effort to monitor Tesla's FSD + drive the car than to just drive the car as usual.

Reactions: diplomat33
That is what it seems like, but that also makes this "FSD" feature completely useless.

It's more effort to monitor Tesla's FSD + drive the car than to just drive the car as usual.
Agreed but a "cheap" way for Tesla to train their NN. I assume the traffic light feature will be optional and this will let everyone who uses it help them train the system.