Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Flames Remote Work | TMC Podcast Clip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a snippet of TMC's most recent podcast, where we discuss Elon's recent emails about requiring Tesla employees to work from home.

"The assumption that being in the office means you work is nonsense.

Elon embraces a culture of in-person collaboration, which can build morale. But the way he approached it was unprofessional."

Here's a link to the full podcast:

I swear, he needs to just shut up. Get a PR department, stop tweeting like Drump used to all the time and just focus on running a good company. No one cares about yoru political beliefs, or your views on society. I love the cars and the concept but Elon needs to take a backseat..literally.
You're probably referring more to his other statements/rants on Twitter that are unnecessary, and I agree with that. I think he could take a backseat on a lot of things, though, I guess you could make the argument that him being so upfront on all of his beliefs is what has made him who he is as CEO of Tesla/SpaceX/etc.

Anyway, these emails in specific were actually private and sent to Tesla executives, so I'm not sure we can lump them into the same ballpark as his tweets, since they were not supposed to be shown to the public. However, he definitely should have approached the remote work situation more professionally, which is what @SteelClouds argues in the clip.

Reactions: SteelClouds
I swear, he needs to just shut up. Get a PR department, stop tweeting like Drump used to all the time and just focus on running a good company. No one cares about yoru political beliefs, or your views on society. I love the cars and the concept but Elon needs to take a backseat..literally.
You are so right - he is the worst salesperson for his cars - the world richest man is now the biggest bully - I waited 90 minutes on the phone for a simple question from Tesla and Mr Musk wants to fire people and make customer service worse - I never liked the execs at GM but bought a Cadillac and Pontiac - many of the employees he is threatening have been loyal and helped make him so rich - my m3 is expected in Dec and with all the problems with autopilot and Tesla goes and sues ntsa - I have thought about “pulling the plug” on my order - but I have come to like what I thought was a “funny looking “ car - Alan g

I'm referring to him as a person. He has admitted to being on the spectrum. That's a form of disabilty and it's socially-related. This means he has limitations---recognizing those and not putting himself in a role where he can literally make or break a company with one "not-well-thought-through" remark is something he needs to prioritize. Does he not have a board that can vote him out if he gets too toxic? I think he's already past that point to be honest.

I think you guys said it well in the video, and I agree, it really depends on the job and the person.

I have worked remotely for ~ 16 years now. I am introverted and work much better without the large groups around me. My morale, my happiness, my sanity is greater working alone.

I am also self motivated and set up my home work space to reduce distractions. And though I do have direct reports and work with other teams and vendors, they are located in multiple different places around the country.

Now I do travel in from time to time and do have a cubicle in our corporate office for when I do need to collaborate with others but I keep that to a minimum and only when others need me there to support their work style. Many want / need that interaction and feel unsupported without it, so Ill accommodate as needed.

I'm referring to him as a person. He has admitted to being on the spectrum. That's a form of disabilty and it's socially-related. This means he has limitations---recognizing those and not putting himself in a role where he can literally make or break a company with one "not-well-thought-through" remark is something he needs to prioritize. Does he not have a board that can vote him out if he gets too toxic? I think he's already past that point to be honest.

His most successful company--SpaceX--has an excellent COO who filters Elon and manages their people and business extremely well. Notice there are no leaked SpaceX internal memos ever? That's a sign of a functioning internal morale---memos leak when internal people are annoyed and pissed off.

HIs ego is exceeding his flaws and he doesn't care about it, that's the problem.

His most successful company--SpaceX--has an excellent COO who filters Elon and manages their people and business extremely well. Notice there are no leaked SpaceX internal memos ever? That's a sign of a functioning internal morale---memos leak when internal people are annoyed and pissed off.

HIs ego is exceeding his flaws and he doesn't care about it, that's the problem.
Yes and he is taking things to personal.