Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can tell you how to solve this problem 100% of the time: DON'T CROSS A DOUBLE YELLOW LINE!

Yea I honestly don't understand why they needed to add crossing of double yellow lines as a feature. It's such a remote edge case, and FSD Beta is nowhere near mature enough to understand all the contexts where humans would need to cross a double yellow. And in majority of cases, FSD is doing it dangerously. I wouldn't be surprised if the NHTSA comes after them again for it lol.

Yea I honestly don't understand why they needed to add crossing of double yellow lines as a feature. It's such a remote edge case, and FSD Beta is nowhere near mature enough to understand all the contexts where humans would need to cross a double yellow. And in majority of cases, FSD is doing it dangerously. I wouldn't be surprised if the NHTSA comes after them again for it lol.

It's not a remote use case around me, where the vast majority of roads are 2 lane roads separated by the double yellow. USPS/UPS/Fedex and garbage trucks frequently block the lane, as do people who temporarily park (or double-park in the city) with their hazards on. And it's pretty customary for cars to go around when the other lane is clear. In these situations, FSD actually does a decent job of going only when it's clear (I can think of one exception in an earlier FSD beta build).

But yeah, it needs to stop trying to pass inappropriately, like when waiting in line at a red light and the car can't see the stoplights. In my experience, it's gotten a lot better since the earlier builds, but here and there I have to disengage to stop it from trying to go around.

Just yesterday I came up behind a post office truck putting mail in mailboxes, and 2/3 of the way into the only travel lane. I was in the new car with "only autopilot" and it just wanted to wait. It would have taken like a half hour to make it to the point where the mail truck turned off. Meanwhile the human drivers just crossed the double yellow to pass the mail truck. (Garbage trucks -- similar case, if a bit speedier than the mail trucks.) I often need to cross the double yellow to go around a bicycle, or a garbage bin that has fallen/shifted into the road as well. Also to avoid open doors on parked cars.

Bottom line, there are definitely cases where crossing a double yellow is necessary. I expect how necessary it is depends on how much time you spend on roads with only one lane in each direction.

That’s ridiculous. Even DMV handbooks say it’s okay to cross a double yellow to go around obstacles and stopped cars.

That brings up a question: How fast will the Beta Stack go? Will it go past 60MPH (think that is about as fast as I may have ever gone on Beta Stack)? Know it is not safe to test usually but how high of speed can you scroll the wheel?
Hmmm. That's a great question.

There's a road fairly close to me with a 60 mph limit that the car uses the beta stack on. I'll have to see how fast the beta stack will go on it.

That’s ridiculous. Even DMV handbooks say it’s okay to cross a double yellow to go around obstacles and stopped cars.
"to go around obstacles and stopped cars" Exactly - it's an exception - an "edge case" - like @momo3605 said. For FSD Beta, just let the safety driver handle it for now, just like the car relies on the safety driver for school zones, school busses, railroad crossings, do-not-block-the-box intersections, and other edge cases that the software doesn't even attempt to handle. In my area, I come across far more of these than I do parked cars on roads with double-yellow center lines. Of course in my area, you aren't suppose to park a car on the road that has a double-yellow center line. You can drive through a neighborhood and the main streets will be double-yellow center lines with the side streets with most of the houses having no lines at all.

Reactions: momo3605
"to go around obstacles and stopped cars" Exactly - it's an exception - an "edge case" - like @momo3605 said. For FSD Beta, just let the safety driver handle it for now, just like the car relies on the safety driver for school zones, school busses, railroad crossings, do-not-block-the-box intersections, and other edge cases that the software doesn't even attempt to handle. In my area, I come across far more of these than I do parked cars on roads with double-yellow center lines. Of course in my area, you aren't suppose to park a car on the road that has a double-yellow center line. You can drive through a neighborhood and the main streets will be double-yellow center lines with the side streets with most of the houses having no lines at all.
When would you expect Tesla to address the issue of parked cars? Seems like now is as good a time as any. No matter when it's done, there will be issues to be worked out.

When would you expect Tesla to address the issue of parked cars? Seems like now is as good a time as any. No matter when it's done, there will be issues to be worked out.
Once the vision and object identification stacks are full-up. You can't walk before you can crawl. Again, seems a much easier case to slow down in a school zone - 95% of the time there's an embedded regulatory speed limit sign and I have mapping data - but Tesla seems fine ignoring this "edge case" for now. Same for school busses. I just think crossing over the double-yellow line on a curvy highway to attempt to go around the car in front because 1) it's waiting on oncoming traffic before making a left turn or 2) the last in a long line of cars waiting for a light is a disaster waiting to happen, but that's the majority of the interventions I have on FSD Beta.

Also, remember that I am not saying don't go around parked cars - I'm saying don't cross a double-yellow line to go around stopped cars (parked or not), especially when you have no visibility to oncoming traffic or what else may lie ahead! It just seems common sense to me.

Reactions: momo3605
Once the vision and object identification stacks are full-up. You can't walk before you can crawl. Again, seems a much easier case to slow down in a school zone - 95% of the time there's an embedded regulatory speed limit sign and I have mapping data - but Tesla seems fine ignoring this "edge case" for now. Same for school busses. I just think crossing over the double-yellow line on a curvy highway to attempt to go around the car in front because 1) it's waiting on oncoming traffic before making a left turn or 2) the last in a long line of cars waiting for a light is a disaster waiting to happen, but that's the majority of the interventions I have on FSD Beta.

Also, remember that I am not saying don't go around parked cars - I'm saying don't cross a double-yellow line to go around stopped cars (parked or not), especially when you have no visibility to oncoming traffic!
I see no reason for Tesla not to improve upon distinguishing between parked vs just stopped cars.

We recently discussed school zones. They are not a simple problem given that the signage for them varies widely across the US. School buses would seem to be a less complex issue.

Reactions: sleepydoc
I see no reason for Tesla not to improve upon distinguishing between parked vs just stopped cars.

We recently discussed school zones. They are not a simple problem given that the signage for them varies widely across the US. School buses would seem to be a less complex issue.
I agree - there are a lot of issues that need to be addressed so it makes sens for them to work on them in parallel. If they do everything sequentially just imagine how much longer it would take. It’s also quite possible that algorithms and constructs used in one area can be used in others (or, conversely, that an isolated fix for one issue would make other issues worse)

Speaking of school busses, I was behind one last week and FSD tried to go around, despite the flashing red lights and 2 stop arms being out. If nothing else you’d think it would recognize a stop sign

Reactions: VanFriscia
"to go around obstacles and stopped cars" Exactly - it's an exception - an "edge case"
I would say it’s an exception [to the rule of not crossing a double yellow line,] but not an edge case. Edge cases are situations that are so rare you hardly ever encounter them. Needing to veer around a parked car is pretty common depending on where you live.

Musk needs an intervention/forced 10 day far away island/no internet vacation to reset his out of control conspiracy riddled brain. He is WAY overloaded and needs to "smell the roses" and reevaluate and square his past values (to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport and colonize Mars) with what he is promoting and the direction he is headed now.

Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 4.43.05 PM.png