Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My only strike came a couple of versions ago and was absolutely unwarranted. It would be nice to have a clean record again, though I am currently in no danger of losing FSD beta.

If (a big word here) FSD beta rolls out to all FSD licensees by the end of the year, the strikes should become moot anyway.
I suspect (guess) strikes will continue and likely be more dialed in which Would be the smart play when they open the gates wide open to many who couldn’t even pass the safety number. Would be foolish to have it all shut down because the remainder of the bullpen didn’t know how to use it properly. My vote would be for a time based strike offset. 1 strike removed for each month (ish) without offenses.

Tell me - what did I do wrong?
I don’t know. Getting a flashing blue screen should be pretty rare though (you’d have to not be steering I think). Need to run a GoPro so you can find out!

It’s possible on prior software versions there were problems but have not been hearing about them lately. And they did reset once didn’t they a while back (obviously before your strikes)?

Even you do not need a strike reset, though. You have one to spare! There’s no stress. Just drive the car and steer it and you’ll be fine.

Anyway, Elon says your reset is coming soon, then you’ll be fine.

I've had cases (guess 5-10 times total in last ~3 years, happens also on EAP, not just FSD) when it gives the beeps without blue for sure, and with very short time from pulling on the wheel. Something on the system craps out and the wheel-on-hand detection goes haywire.

I just stop using EAP or FSD on those drives, and by next time I'm driving it has reset back to normal. Don't want to risk strikes.

Reactions: VanFriscia
I suspect (guess) strikes will continue and likely be more dialed in which Would be the smart play when they open the gates wide open to many who couldn’t even pass the safety number. Would be foolish to have it all shut down because the remainder of the bullpen didn’t know how to use it properly. My vote would be for a time based strike offset. 1 strike removed for each month (ish) without offenses.
Why would they not just use the current AP jail feature? That provides a suitable deterrent for failing to pay attention. If FSD beta is good enough to roll out to everyone, then it should be deemed safe enough to use with AP jail.

BTW, I expect that many, many FSD licensees do not have FSD beta because they did not ask for it, not just because they could not determine how to pass the safety score. Many also have good safety scores, but because their timing was not early enough, missed out on one of the times that new testers were accepted.

Truly unfortunate. I am disappointed that they are doing this, and hopefully it is the last time. No excuse for strikeouts except documented hardware failures, in my opinion. Should be removed from the beta testing program permanently.
Really? Forever ban for something you paid 10k for? I think removing one strike every 3-4 months is reasonable.

I expect that many, many FSD licensees do not have FSD beta because they did not ask for it,
I have a buddy with a recent M3P and he bought FSD. But he doesn't have the slightest interest in the beta. No news, no "hey, the beta did this wonderful thing today", just shows no interest at all. He says "I'll get it when it's ready for the masses".

Not sure I know how to reply to that in a good, most uplifting way. 😁

I don’t know. Getting a flashing blue screen should be pretty rare though (you’d have to not be steering I think). Need to run a GoPro so you can find out!

It’s possible on prior software versions there were problems but have not been hearing about them lately. And they did reset once didn’t they a while back (obviously before your strikes)?

Even you do not need a strike reset, though. You have one to spare! There’s no stress. Just drive the car and steer it and you’ll be fine.

Anyway, Elon says your reset is coming soon, then you’ll be fine.
I shouldn't need a GoPro to document software failures so (I can in all likelihood) unsuccessfully try to find someone who cares at Tesla to reverse the strikes. I get blue screens all the time despite holding the wheel because I'm not pressing quite hard enough and I somehow miss the tiny message at the bottom of the screen when I'm looking at the road.

As for 'one to spare' I should have at least 4 to spare. How do I know the same won't happen again? The most recent strike was with the current software. The one before that with the previous version. The first one was several months ago, but I can't recall when. There are plenty of people posting about unprovoked strikes. Seek and ye shall find.

Several others have pointed out that the current system effectively penalizes people who drive more. I think removing a strike every so many months or so many thousand miles would be a very reasonable compromise.

Several others have pointed out that the current system effectively penalizes people who drive more. I think removing a strike every so many months or so many thousand miles would be a very reasonable compromise.

FSDb has come a long way since the original safety score cohort got it in Oct 2021. The strike system was obviously put in place to deter people from getting lax with it, but it feels like FSD has improved enough that we can move to a less punitive way to offer that deterrence, like AP jail as others have mentioned.

At least they removed safety score. I was totally expecting that FSDb testers would have to maintain a certain score to remain in the program.

.....despite holding the wheel because I'm not pressing quite hard enough and I somehow miss the tiny message at the bottom of the screen when I'm looking at the road.....
Pressing the wheel??? Then that would be the problem since it needs to be torqued/turned. Pressing on the wheel has NO effect since there are no pressure or capacitance sensors.

Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 6.34.49 PM.png

Last edited:
Pressing the wheel??? Then that would be the problem since it needs to be torqued/turned. Pressing on the wheel has NO effect since there are no pressure or capacitance sensors.

View attachment 846417
Thanks, captain obvious. You’re clearly either too dense or too pedantic to continue the discussion so I won’t respond further.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: DBV1
While on topic due to Elon's tweet, I've moved my reply to a more appropriate thread (there are several discussing this):

Been on FSD beta since last October. Have put on over 30k miles since then, almost all on FSD and NOA. No strikes. I just drive normally. I can count on one hand the number of “pay attention” alerts I’ve had over the last year, and they go away almost immediately once i return my attention to the road.

Been on FSD beta since last October. Have put on over 30k miles since then, almost all on FSD and NOA. No strikes. I just drive normally. I can count on one hand the number of “pay attention” alerts I’ve had over the last year, and they go away almost immediately once i return my attention to the road.
@sleepydoc you disagree? Are you telling me this didn’t happen to me?

Reactions: DanCar