Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: FSD Beta tweets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
as long as there's a retrofit haha
No reason there would need to be. In a theoretical world where they release City Streets: they'd just ask the user to complete the maneuver when they detect a situation or encounter a mapped area it cannot handle. That's allowed with L2 City Streets, in theory, as I understand it.

New cars (if they get a better sensor suite) may not have the same limitations. Not clear how those will be marketed differently, at this point.

But there won't be any obligation for Tesla to retrofit as long as City Streets is delivered in some form (a much more interesting question). There's a reason the web page says your car will be upgraded with continuous OTA software updates.

No reason there would need to be. In a theoretical world where they release City Streets: they'd just ask the user to complete the maneuver when they detect a situation or encounter a mapped area it cannot handle. That's allowed with L2 City Streets, in theory, as I understand it.

New cars (if they get a better sensor suite) may not have the same limitations. Not clear how those will be marketed differently, at this point.

But there won't be any obligation for Tesla to retrofit as long as City Streets is delivered in some form (a much more interesting question). There's a reason the web page says your car will be upgraded with continuous OTA software updates.
I understand where you're coming from, but thinking long term, there shouldn't be a user fallback. If the FSD stack is complete and we are playing on our phones in the back seat, my car should have the same capabilities as the best FSD car Tesla ever sold, since I bought the FSD Capability, which is not model variable. Yes, software would reach a limit and then hardware kicks in. They need to give me the hardware to run the software I purchased. Pretty much like some cars were upgraded for HW3.0 for free in the past. As long as you had FSD purchased.

Worth mentioning, I'm well aware that HW4.0 will be better than HW3.0. I'm not talking about confidence levels, but capabilities instead.

there shouldn't be a user fallback
It's a Level 2 system, though (for most people who purchased it, see prior discussions on this point).

I'm not saying Tesla will never have a L4/L5 system - they might at some point. I'm not sure what they will call that system. Maybe FSD 2.0, but that's not very imaginative. But they don't have to release that to everyone - only need to release to the people who will buy it in future. For first adopters, they just need to get what the hardware is capable of (which Telsa hopes will include Autosteer on City Streets, of course).

I've always interpreted the "dependent on achieving" disclaimer to mean on existing hardware with which they may not be able achieve full self-driving.
It's up for interpretation, hardware wise. Although history shows FSD computer upgrades for "free". It's a complicated matter, the only part that's relevant talks about "currently enabled features [...] require supervision". This can be an interesting debate in the future!

Quote:
With 10.1, it will creep forward with more confidence & quickly reverse back a little (just as a person would) if it sees danger

That just seems like a horrible idea, especially with everyone loving their California stops. Though I suppose if you are rear ended it’s the other dudes fault. A case where you don’t want sentry cam.

You'll be able to request the FSD Beta a week from Friday.
We will be able to request the FSD Beta Sat Sept 25.

If request beta then driving behavior will be assessed for a week. If driving behavior is "good", then beta access will be granted.
O.K. Elon I promise not to run any more red lights. haha
Now everyone is going to try to figure out how to game the system. How is "good" determined? Obviously should not be looking at phone.

Last edited: