Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
other OEMs call what is described above as "supervised automation", also called Level 2.

None of the OEMs offer anything remotely comparable in capability to what he's describing so I'm not sure they call it anything at all. Why would then when they don't sell or make it?

His point was "feature complete" has a specific meaning... each basic feature to accomplish the overall goal exists- thus it's POSSIBLE, but not yet guaranteed, the system could perform complete no-intervention drives from start to finish (and indeed, many have had it do exactly that-- though not REMOTELY close to all, or even a majority, of the time). No OEM offers anything remotely like that other than Tesla.

I.e. it knows what a right or left turn is and has the basic capability to make one. It knows what a stop sign is and has the basic capability to stop at one. It knows what a crosswalk, a bicycle, and pedestrians are and has a basic capability of reacting to them. It has at least the functionality to ATTEMPT the overall task-- even if it does not yet execute perfectly on all of them 100% of the time (and thus still needs supervision).

A certain specific only-ever-posts-about-why-Tesla-sucks here poster misrepresented "feature complete" as "done"

Which is exactly the opposite of how it was defined at the time the quote he was referencing was made. This is a rare example of where Elon explicitly clarified he was promising less than such trolls claimed he was. There's certainly plenty of examples of statements from him that go the other way- but this was pretty clearly NOT one of them.

Thus the basic fact correction being provided to said person.

At this point, Elon promising that Teslas will be able to completely drive themselves with a year to 18 months from whatever date he’s currently existing:

"Full Self-Driving. So, over time, we think Full Self-Driving will become the most important source of profitability for Tesla. It’s — actually, if you run the numbers on robotaxis, it’s kind of nutty — it’s nutty good from a financial standpoint. And I think we are completely confident at this point that it will be achieved. And my personal guess is that we’ll achieve Full Self-Driving this year

I mean...its CRYSTAL CLEAR what he is saying. He is saying that Robotaxi service is dependent on FULLY AUTONOMOUS CARS. And he CLEARLY says that will happen by end of 2022. Make all the various SAE this and SAE that excuses and comparing to others, all you want. But his words and promises are crystal clear. FULL SELF DRIVING and Robotaxi service THIS YEAR.

Definition

An autonomous car is a vehicle capable of sensing its environment and operating without human involvement. A human passenger is not required to take control of the vehicle at any time, nor is a human passenger required to be present in the vehicle at all. An autonomous car can go anywhere a traditional car goes and do everything that an experienced human driver does.

At the 15 second mark: promising "autonomous driving" by 2016. HIS words. Autonomous driving.
At the 53 second mark: Promising robotaxis (which require AUTONOMY) by end of 2020.
At the 1:01 mark: Promising "full autonomous driving" by 2021.
At the 1:10 mark: Level 4 will be achieved in 2022

I mean...what more evidence..does one need?

Last edited:

"Elon Musk Promises Full Self-Driving 'Next Year' For The Ninth Year In A Row"​

Article: Elon Musk Promises Full Self-Driving 'Next Year' For The Ninth Year In A Row

And quote. Show me where it says "promise"

Full Self-Driving. So, over time, we think Full Self-Driving will become the most important source of profitability for Tesla. It’s — actually, if you run the numbers on robotaxis, it’s kind of nutty — it’s nutty good from a financial standpoint. And I think we are completely confident at this point that it will be achieved. And my personal guess is that we’ll achieve Full Self-Driving this year, yes, with data safety level significantly greater than present.

You should be mad at Jalopnik for misrepresenting Elon's words, not Elon.

next up: "2101guy you are using a different definition of autonomous than elon and dojo uses. He didnt REALY mean the industry definition of autonomous. He was just using autonomous as kind of a silicon valley type of autonomous"

some of you make up the WORST excuses for this guy. 🤣

• Funny
Reactions: boonedocks
And people REALLY think he REALLY thought he was literally 30 days away from selling customers cars that required ZERO human supervision, monitoring, etc for highway driving in 2015. Some of you dolts ACTUALLY think he truly, 100% believed he was serious about that.

In 2015.

🤣

Last edited:
At this point, Elon promising that Teslas will be able to completely drive themselves with a year to 18 months from whatever date he’s currently existing:

"Full Self-Driving. So, over time, we think Full Self-Driving will become the most important source of profitability for Tesla. It’s — actually, if you run the numbers on robotaxis, it’s kind of nutty — it’s nutty good from a financial standpoint. And I think we are completely confident at this point that it will be achieved. And my personal guess is that we’ll achieve Full Self-Driving this year

You didn't highlight personal guess.

still waiting for the explanation/excuse on Elons definition of "autonomous" driving to mean something other than its definition.

Because he clearly and repeatedly said "autonomous" AND CLEARLY stated when that would happen.

Take your time...I'll wait...hahaha

Tesla CEO Elon Musk Promises the Rollout of Full Self-Driving Beta Software in 2022​

That Article said:
On Thursday, May 19, Tesla CEO and billionaire Elon Musk said that the automaker plans to roll out its full self-driving beta software to all customers in North America in 2022.

The only promise in the article is in the word in the headline, and you have to be extremely naive or a complete fool to take anything from a headline.

Reactions: willow_hiller
"Supervised autonomy", the latest Teslafication of what should be straightforward and universally-accepted terminology lol

Don't think this is a combination of words I ever would have imagined
Oh, its a combination of words that you absolutely create when you've realized your CEO has backed your company into a corner that they cant get out of by 12/31/2022.

"we cant say autonomous driving so we will say supervised autonomy. Most dolts wont realize, that really means same as what we've had since 2015: the driver must still be 100% fully in control at all times for the forseeable future, and there is no Robotaxi service in sight. All for $15k".