Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haven’t camera retrofits been available for a while? I think the last group missing is the MCU1 folk
The problem has been the global supply chain. Getting parts, including cameras, has been difficult for Tesla, so they've prioritized new cars for parts and retro-fitted older cars as batches become available.

One of the reasons other manufacturers, such as BMW, have changed their cars without warning - for example replacing touchscreens with non-touch versions, or omitting USB ports for the time being with a promise of installing them later when parts become available.

Reactions: EVNow and momo3605
Any opinions based on past Tesla FSD beta behavior whether candidates who enter the beta qualification criteria (score >= 80; autopilot minimum miles within last 30 days, etc) this week will be added to the beta in the coming days? Asking for a friend...

Any opinions based on past Tesla FSD beta behavior whether candidates who enter the beta qualification criteria (score >= 80; autopilot minimum miles within last 30 days, etc) this week will be added to the beta in the coming days? Asking for a friend...

I've heard the answer is yes, BUT they also must be on 2022.20 branch or older. You won't be able to roll back from 24.x or 28.x

If I'm reading the case correctly, in this ruling the court found in favor of the plaintiff for the broken promises contained in Tesla not providing the items coming "later this year", namely traffic lights and automatic driving on city streets.

To some extent it seems Tesla has settled with the plaintiff
, presumably monetarily, but we cannot see the terms of the settlement.

The judge appeared to grant Tesla some leeway for regulatory approval not obtained of FSD, even though in my view there's no proof that there is even regulatory disapproval. But I'm no expert.

The judge ruled there is also some disagreement that Full Self Driving Capability does not mean Full. Self. Driving. I believe the judge is ruling that it's a description of a product that does not imply autonomous driving.

I'm not sure if a different case might be ruled differently. There was a lot of talk about what tweets and statements from Elon and Tesla the plaintiff might have read, and whether he read them before or after he bought the car. Anyway the judge seemed to find enough to back up his ruling.

Some relevant excerpts:

The Parties have arrived at a mutually acceptable settlement of this matter. (Doc 48)

Dismiss the breach of contract count for all claims except for the allegations that
Defendant failed to provide the features promised “later this year”: recognize and
respond to traffic lights and stop signs and automatic driving on city streets;

• dismiss the counts for unjust enrichment, civil conversion, negligence per se, and
fraud; and
• allow leave to amend only as to the fraud count for allegations related to Musk’s
extracontractual statements made during the February 2019 podcast interview. (Doc 40)

I am an experienced litigator licensed in NM and PA's state and federal trial and appellate courts with published opinions, so let me clear up some confusion.

First, what people are referring to is not an opinion but a proposed disposition by the Magistrate--i.e., not the Article III judge, who is 'the Court' and could have accepted, modified, or rejected the Magistrate's proposal.

Second, the Magistrate's recommendations read (to an experienced litigator) like some of the worst, lower echelon associate's briefing I've read over the years in the four states and two federal districts where I've practiced. Numerous cases cited for propositions the courts never considered, much less ruled on (called 'head note law' by legal writing professors). Critical conclusions unsupported by any authority--which means the Article III judge (before whom I've appeared more than once) would never have endorsed, because he knows I'd flip him in the Tenth Circuit. (Note that this Magistrate was a public defender for years, and only has ~18 months of civil experience after taking the bench.) And perhaps most glaring, three and arguably four reversible errors--like proposing to reject NM's substantive state law on alternative remedies, which the 10th Circuit said federal courts are "bound to accept,' and dismiss claims for which there are stock NM jury instructions. Failure to issue a stock jury instruction is the easiest appeal to win because a district court has zero discretion not to charge the jury (I've flipped trial courts that erred this way, and slashed millions off jury verdicts where a judge refused a required instruction).

Third, and more subtly, this is what experienced federal litigators call 'the magistrate two-step.' That's where the Article III judge telegraphs to (or outright tells) the magistrate that he wants [x] case off his docket--say, a multi-week, high-publicity trial (like this one would've been), involving dozens of witnesses, tens of thousands of pages of discovery, an overwhelmed magistrate (who handles discovery disputes), expert witnesses, and fact witnesses like Elon and the other Board of Directors members pleading the Fifth on the fraud and negligence per se counts (the latter is based on criminal violations--like wire fraud, a serious felony).

Also, the Article III judge in cases like this finds him/herself facing the DOJ moving to stay the case while it and the FBI investigate, because they have a higher burden of proof than a plaintiff in a civil case, they want to control depositions because they're looking for state's evidence witnesses, etc., etc.

So, the 'two-step' is designed to throw the defendant a bone, simultaneously frightening an inexperienced plaintiff into thinking it's his last chance to settle, but leave enough meat and potatoes to scare the defendant... and presto! The docket is cleared up for original jurisdiction civil rights trials, criminal cases, a bazillion immigration-related cases, etc., facing a border state federal court like the District of NM.

Finally, Tesla had to know that they'd shortly see a motion to amend to add a count for an injunction under the NM UPA to bar the company from marketing and selling FSDC in New Mexico--much like the CA DMV moved before the Board of Hearing Examiners on July 28th to pull Tesla's license to manufacture and sell vehicles, and for essentially identical reasons (FSDC not a 'mere product label' but a deliberately misleading description)--and that the amendment would survive their inevitable motion to dismiss. No chance that Elon and the other Board of Directors members didn't know FSDC was an SAE Level II 'driver assist' program (because that's what they told the CA DMV in writing, while Elon told the public it was equivalent to SAE Level 4 or 5 automated driving). So, essentially an existential threat to their doing business in NM.

Take all of those things together? Of course Tesla settled--and notwithstanding Musk's chest-pounding on Twitter in May, claiming the company would 'never' settle a case it had decided to actively defend.

Nonsense. The docket in this case shows two stays to try and settle before Tesla filed its motion, and a third stay afterward. Whereupon the most valuable auto maker in the world quickly settled--i.e., before the Article III judge in a matter of a few weeks entered an order which the press inevitably would have reported like this: "A federal court in Albuquerque this morning allowed a case for fraud and breach of contract to go forward against the world's most valuable auto manufacturer..."

The moral of the story? David forced Goliath to pay up, and without even proceeding to discovery.

Message to Elon and other CEOs like him? "The truth will set you free."

Ultrasonic sensors gone.

Reactions: Daniel in SD
Ultrasonic sensors gone.

Yep. I started a thread to discuss it.

Ultrasonic sensors gone.
Lame to again remove sensors before the software is ready. Makes sense to remove them though.

Reactions: DanCar
I feel like Tesla should add parking cameras like other cars have. Parking cameras would help with those near objects close to the bumper since they won't have ultrasonics to do that anymore.
Agree. Full camera coverage would be nice and I’m sure it’s also necessary for robotaxis.
I use the front ultrasonics for parking and it’s not clear if the current cameras could replace that functionality. Rear camera is already more useful than ultrasonics.

Agree. Full camera coverage would be nice and I’m sure it’s also necessary for robotaxis.
I use the front ultrasonics for parking and it’s not clear if the current cameras could replace that functionality. Rear camera is already more useful than ultrasonics.

Agreed. I rely on the rear camera more than the ultrasonics but they’ve saved me from a bump with something on the fringe of the fisheye view a time or two.

The front? How does one nuzzle up to the bumper ahead of them in a tight parking space with a camera that can’t see there?

I would have more faith in this is any of the other vision stuff, like, worked. I really wish Tesla would crawl before they sprint.

Ultrasonic sensors gone.
Hmm, wonder what that means for Model X in the future? The ultrasonics are used to limit the doors and FWD movements, I don't think there are any upward pointing cameras.

• Informative
Hmm, wonder what that means for Model X in the future? The ultrasonics are used to limit the doors and FWD movements, I don't think there are any upward pointing cameras.
It is just the 12 sensors in the front and rear bumpers that are used in driving and will be removed and replaced by Vision. The X's doors are not part of that.

Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 7.01.10 PM.png

I don't think they'll remove them from the X doors because can you imagine needing to wait on the Autopilot computer to boot up in order to open your car's doors? Or it has to be kept in standby at all times (like Sentry Mode), and drain the batteries.

Last edited:
honestly...is 420 and 69 still like, funny or humorous in 2022? I get what they stand for..but the question stands.
Or is he stuck in like, 2010? Its like he's obsessed.

$54.20 for twitter. Im convinced that his accountants told him market value was like, $48 at the time..but he was like "no, $54.20. it will be funny".

(it wasnt)

honestly...is 420 and 69 still like, funny or humorous in 2022? I get what they stand for..but the question stands.
Or is he stuck in like, 2010? Its like he's obsessed.

$54.20 for twitter. Im convinced that his accountants told him market value was like, $48 at the time..but he was like "no, $54.20. it will be funny".

(it wasnt)
If you are 12 or younger, then it is hilarious.

What is actually funny is, I bet all this 69 stuff should make a sexual harassment suite much easier to win for a Tesla employee.

I mean imagine dealing with that as an employee, especially a female engineer on the software development team, har har 69 this, 69 that. Hard to complain to HR when it's coming from the owner.

at his net worth? It would almost be worth it for him to hire a full time consultant thats like, a really smart plugged in 20 something to let him know what's hip/current/cool, and what is indicative of a middle aged man who is trying to say hip things, but is truly clueless

Reactions: diplomat33