Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah during 5% of most peoples commute where FSD is useful that lane changing and stopping at green lights is really worth 10k…rofl. Not worth $10 dollars.

Beta if your are one of the lucky chosen few is worth maybe $99mo IMO. But that isn’t becoming reality until end of year, city street driving. ROFL. Even Elon tweeted the other day “I know, two weeks…”

Rain Stops Waymo One​

Mario HergerDecember 16, 2020Autonomous Car, Waymo

Post navigation​

Previous
Next
waymo-one-rain.png

The indefatigable J.J. Ricks, a student in Phoenix, keeps us updated with dozens of videos of his rides in a driverless Waymo One on his YouTube channel. Today he posted a new tidbit for us, namely how the Waymo indicates during an onset of rain that it will stop and pull over to the side of the road. The subsequent manual takeover by the safety driver and J.J. Ricks’ communication with Waymo’s operations center provide insight into Waymo’s safety protocols and state of the art.
What was also unusual this time was that in this vehicle, which J.J. Ricks, who keeps precise records of his driverless rides, had driven without a safety driver in the past, there was a female safety driver this time. Presumably, because of the rain forecast, Waymo had played it safe.
In any case, it’s not exactly clear from the video whether the Waymo vehicle could have safely driven on its own despite the rain, or whether Waymo is simply still cautious about the conditions under which a safety driver must take over. As Ricks also chimes in as a comment in the video, the monitor still seems to clearly depict all objects and the course of the road for customers. So it may be that there was still, say, 99.99% safety or perception level, but Waymo insists on at least 99.999% (however that particular safety or perception level is defined).
Starting at minute 7:25, the vehicle warns that it needs to stop and pulls over to the right side, followed by manual takeover and talking to dispatch.

This article was also published in German.
featured

Share this:​

Since October 2020 it’s impossible to get a ride with a safety driver in chandler.

What was also unusual this time was that in this vehicle, which J.J. Ricks, who keeps precise records of his driverless rides, had driven without a safety driver in the past, there was a female safety driver this time. Presumably, because of the rain forecast, Waymo had played it safe.

:D

Come on, admit it's funny timing.

BS. Waymo is actual FULL SELF DRIVING. You sit in the back seat and the car steers itself to destination, with no safety drivers. AP is right now just a glorified lane keeping.
BS. Waymo is so severely geofenced its more like an airport shuttle service than a true FSD service. Even exact path to take in parking lots - is hardcoded.

ps : No idea why people are posting about Waymo in Musk's twitter posts thread.

BS. Waymo is so severely geofenced its more like an airport shuttle service than a true FSD service. Even exact path to take in parking lots - is hardcoded.

Hardcoded...similar to Tesla's infamous 2016 video that stole $10k from a lot of us early adopters.

Well the latest Waymo round started early Sunday as far as I can see. Several people, including myself and yourself before me, were drawn into that. At one point I asked @diplomat33 a couple of Waymo questions and i mentioned it really belonged in the Waymo thread; he concurred and moved the replies there. That exchange, I think, was more of a useful conversation without the usual Waymo v Tesla bickering and taunting. But Waymo "discussion" kept going here anyway as you observed.

Very often when I post a reply, it occurs to me that the particular discussion belongs in a different and more specific thread that already exists. But if you try to move it there you'll just take yourself out of the conversation. That's part of life in the forums.

Elon's tweets engender a lot of discussion and emotional opinion, typically reincarnating several dead horses in the process.

Since October 2020 it’s impossible to get a ride with a safety driver in chandler.
So they have expanded the fully driverless service? That is awesome!

what does a Tesla launch in 5 years look like to you? Why do you think they will be ahead of Waymo to you?
Waymo isn't expanding very quickly. Once Tesla is ready, it will have a wide reach.

That is false. Routes are not hardcoded.
Parking lot routes are. IIRC, I got this from a video you had linked to (last year or so).

ps : LOL.

As @EVNow pointed out in his post, Waymo solved parking lot navigation by annotating the heck out of a highly accurate HD map to tell the car exactly what to do. Yes, it is L4 and it works really great but it will only work in geofenced areas that have the special HD maps that have been annotated properly. But it means Waymo is indeed using a specialized solution for doing FSD, that cannot be widely deployed quickly.

Tesla would be insane to give FSD to a very high percentage of people right off the bat. _I'll_ be disappointed if they don't go very, very, slowly, with plenty of "bake time" between the next set of people added to the pool.

They've been promising FSD any day now for 5 years. How much slower can they go?

Tesla would be insane to give FSD to a very high percentage of people right off the bat. _I'll_ be disappointed if they don't go very, very, slowly, with plenty of "bake time" between the next set of people added to the pool.
Some made up calcs:
If 200k people have FSD then if they release to half a percent first week then that would be 1k people get it. If double each week then after 5 weeks 32k people would have it. If double every 2 weeks then after 12 weeks, 64k people would have it by end of year.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
They've been promising FSD any day now for 5 years. How much slower can they go?
As slow as they need to make sure it’s as safe as possible and won’t bring down the wrath of the government. It’s not like Tesla is suffering from a demand problem right now. People aren’t buying Teslas because they’re self driving (at least most aren’t). They’re buying them because they’re cool cars and go fast and represent some of the best tech in green vehicles today.

There's going to be a lot of salty folks on this forum in a week and a half..
Probably posts like what we've seen already:
  1. I'm really mad that I can't go 90 MPH on Autopilot.
  2. I'm really mad that I can't set following distance to 1 while going 90 MPH on Autopilot.
  3. I'm really mad that I have to hold the steering wheel on Autopilot.
  4. I'm really mad that I have to look at the road on Autopilot.
  5. I'm really mad that they might tell me I'm not safe enough to get the experimental FSD beta Autopilot.

Not true. What makes you say that?
Near impossible is the better word. I say that because of the amount of driverless ride jj has gotten.

although Waymo did say “we'll also be re-introducing rides with a trained vehicle operator, which will add capacity and allow us to serve a larger geographical area.” So if you are outside the 50 sq mile driverless zone you may get a safety driver.

Reactions: Terminator857
Parking lot routes are. IIRC, I got this from a video you had linked to (last year or so).

That’s just regular HD Map which acts like a guide. The car doesn’t have to follow it nor does it always follow it due to road conditions and other actors on the road.

you would think after all these years since 2019. The hd map myth will die. But nope.

You are misunderstanding HD maps. HD maps are annotated with information like one way lanes in parking lots so that the car won't accidentally drive the wrong way in a parking lot. That is not the same as actually hardcoding the entire route to follow. The car is free to pick whatever routes it wants, it just has map info to help it obey parking lot rules like direction of travel down lanes. And the car has an on board Router that determines the best route and a Planner that can change the route on the go as needed if the route needs to change. So the entire route is not hardcoded.

Last edited: