Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kinda surprised that Elon would admit that V9.2 is not great. Usually, he is hyping FSD up.

The part about "highway+city" FSD requiring "massive NN retraining" is also interesting. It implies that Tesla has a lot of work left to do. Elon seems to be trying to lower expectations with this tweet.

Kinda surprised that Elon would admit that V9.2 is not great. Usually, he is hyping FSD up.

The part about "highway+city" FSD requiring "massive NN retraining" is also interesting. It implies that Tesla has a lot of work left to do. Elon seems to be trying to lower expectations with this tweet.
He's doing that because we want our button.

Reminds me of what Elon once said: it doesn't matter if the Tesla news is good or bad, sales still go up with either.

True. CNBC already has an article about Elon's tweet. Even when Elon criticises FSD Beta, he gets free publicity. Maybe that was the point?

Taking money for 5+ years for a product/service that doesn't "work great"....hmm, I'm sure there's a term for that.

Presumably he was talking specifically about 9.2 not being great relative to either 9.1 or 9.3. There were some "last minute issues" discovered before 9.2 release to early access:

Perhaps those were regressions from the several "new" things added in that version:

So maybe a quick fix workaround was added to release a day late but resulted in "not great" at least for Elon Musk's routes. Looks like he/internal-QA gets the next version less than a week before the rest of early access?

I'm guessing Elon's experience with any "FSD" version goes this way:

1) He gets it before anyone else. He drives it on limited routes in the LA or Brownsville areas that engineers know he will drive. It works pretty good in those 30 minutes (he's a busy guy, let's not pretend he ever drives it more than that). He tweets that it's awesome.

2) It goes to "FSD" beta testers. They use it in actual, hard traffic and city streets, not just highway entrances. They post YouTube videos. It's not great. Elon sees this and adjusts his opinion and resets his expectations for the next version (but usually doesn't tweet that)

3) Repeat #1, where now his drive is better than the YouTube videos of the previous version, so it must be amazing, because he forgot he already said the previous version was amazing before he learned that it was not.

Last edited:

1) He gets it before anyone else. He drives it on limited routes in the LA or Brownsville areas that engineers know he will drive. It works pretty good in those 30 minutes (he's a busy guy, let's not pretend he ever drives it more than that). He tweets that it's awesome.

2) It goes to "FSD" beta testers. They use it in actual, hard traffic and city streets, not just highway entrances. They post YouTube videos. It's not great. Elon sees this and adjusts his opinion and resets his expectations for the next version (but usually doesn't tweet that)

3) Repeat #1, where now his drive is better than the YouTube videos of the previous version, so it must be amazing, because he forgot he already said the previous version was amazing before he learned that it was not.
At least this time he didn't use adjectives like "amazing", "blow you mind" or "super". Just "much" improved. So maybe Elon is getting the hang of this. I'm taking that as progress and we'll get to see how much improved soon enough.

Having creating product algorithms that the CEO love to evaluate solely on how it operates for them, I would totally bet this is the case.

Reactions: diplomat33

Based on past experience and all the times that Elon has talked about how it works great for him, I think this is totally the case. In fact, I think Elon judges how close Tesla is to "solving FSD" based on how it works in his 30 mn drive. It would explain a lot.

Based on past experience and all the times that Elon has talked about how it works great for him, I think this is totally the case. In fact, I think Elon judges how close Tesla is to "solving FSD" based on how it works in his 30 mn drive. It would explain a lot.
Or, maybe, just maybe, he's lying to try to get people to buy it.

He hasn't so much moved the goal posts as forgotten or ignored them.

After almost 5 years of blown FSD schedules from Elon, it's silly to expect consistency from him. Remember when FSD v9 was "mind blowing"? Now it's "Not that great."

It's pretty obvious (to me at least) that we'll never get anything like the FSD features we were promised-- at least not with the current generation hardware.

He hasn't so much moved the goal posts as forgotten or ignored them.

After almost 5 years of blown FSD schedules from Elon, it's silly to expect consistency from him. Remember when FSD v9 was "mind blowing"? Now it's "Not that great."

It's pretty obvious (to me at least) that we'll never get anything like the FSD features we were promised-- at least not with the current generation hardware.

At least NoA is still Super human in its released form. :p