Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FSD beta visualizations coming to Europe in a month+.

Seems like the issue with this is if it is done with any wide-release Autosteer features being enabled, it might lead people to think the system is capable of avoiding perceived objects, or following lane markers, when using Autosteer/NoA. Which of course it cannot.

Maybe they'll allow you to turn on visualizations, but disable all Autosteer and TACC functionality?

There's some value in displaying much less on the screen than the car perceives, I suppose.

Reactions: tmoz
To be fair 100s of thousands are using Tesla AP right now.
BS. Waymo is actual FULL SELF DRIVING. You sit in the back seat and the car steers itself to destination, with no safety drivers. AP is right now just a glorified lane keeping.

ps : Aren't there Waymo like services running in China ?
No idea.

BS. Waymo is actual FULL SELF DRIVING. You sit in the back seat and the car steers itself to destination, with no safety drivers. AP is right now just a glorified lane keeping.

No idea.
Just a safety driver following along behind you and a control room watching every drive at all times. But fully self driving. Only kidding a bit, this is in 1) the most boring spot in the USA (a phoenix suburb) and 2) the most heavily researched area in the world from an autonomous driving/mapping perspective.

Anyhow, good luck to them. I wonder what the end goal is now that all the OEMs have declined to let google own their platforms. Do they just keep plodding along at a glacial pace hoping that someone gets desperate and buys them? Or ? Do they go full Bezos and just sue Tesla about everything to slow them down? Or ?

Everyone moving the goal posts as usual. Last Thursday Elon said 7 days from Friday. Which would put it at this Friday.
Yes, for reference: this was last Thursday. It’s unambiguous. He would have used different phrasing if he had meant the late evening of the 1st.

(Of course it will be another week at least after the button before anyone gets the beta.)

Yes, for reference: this was last Thursday. It’s unambiguous. He would have used different phrasing if he had meant the late evening of the 1st.

(Of course it will be another week at least after the button before anyone gets the beta.)
Thats what I thought. But somehow people are thinking because it was written at 2 am Friday that he meant a week from this coming Friday.

Last edited:
Of course they are. The question of whether they will be eventually successful is related but separate. I'm guessing that your statement stems from the whole California DMV email discussion. Tesla did not say they are not working on, or will never have, L4 i.e.unsupervised self-driving. They said that the feature being worked on for release is currently an L2 feature and is expected to remain so through release, i.e. in the foreseeable future.

As I and others have written several times before, that is an eminently sensible approach and does not legally, ethically or morally bind them to reporting incremental development data to California DMV.

The engineering knowledge gained during this development is perfectly open to be used for a subsequent L4 release. When and if this comes to fruition, and at the time that Tesla applies for CA approval to operate such a feature, they will be required to submit a performance data set that justifies the safety and performance of the driverless feature release.
FSD beta visualizations coming to Europe in a month+.

Oh, here is my spin. Version 10.1 rolls out with button. However most of us don’t have access to the beta, so we won’t get the button. 🤠

One car driverless is nice, but when will it scale? From Waymo report: they have 65K fully self driving miles. One taxi can do 100K miles in a year. I think Elon should set up remote control and have two cars driverless to be twice as good as Waymo. :p
It's immaterial. Waymo already works. Yes, in a very limited fashion, but it actually works.

Tesla has NOTHING. Not a single unattended autonomous car in actual fare-paying service.

It's immaterial. Waymo already works. Yes, in a very limited fashion, but it actually works.

Tesla has NOTHING. Not a single unattended autonomous car in actual fare-paying service.

Not true. Elon said at one point that the car will make you money while you sleep, and that's exactly what it does for the FSD Beta testers. They post the videos on YouTube, monetize them, and get paid. Therefore FSD is an appreciating asset.

Works? Can 99.9% of the population use it? No. Then it doesn't actually work for 99.9%. Even people who fly to Phoenix and request still get a van with a safety driver. And yes, people in Phoenix who request also get a van with a safety driver, except for a few, such as JJ Ricks.

Tesla has NOTHING. ...
When Tesla does launch in 5+ years, they will be ahead of Waymo. How much progress has Waymo made since 2019? They launched in 2019 their fully driverless Van and no expansion since then. In 5+ years where will they be? Two more cities with two more fully driverless vans? I wonder how much longer Waymo investors will put up with losing billions per year, while Tesla is profitable?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Doggydogworld
Works? Can 99.9% of the population use it? No. Then it doesn't actually work for 99.9%. Even people who fly to Phoenix and request still get a van with a safety driver. And yes, people in Phoenix who request also get a van with a safety driver, except for a few, such as JJ Ricks.

When Tesla does launch in 5+ years, they will be ahead of Waymo. How much progress has Waymo made since 2019? They launched in 2019 their fully driverless Van and no expansion since then. In 5+ years where will they be? Two more cities with two more fully driverless vans? I wonder how much longer Waymo investors will put up with losing billions per year, while Tesla is profitable?
Since October 2020 it’s impossible to get a ride with a safety driver in chandler.

what does a Tesla launch in 5 years look like to you? Why do you think they will be ahead of Waymo to you?

• Disagree
Reactions: sfuape and MP3Mike