Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... I am personally certain that you can create full self-driving with safe level 5 presence just using the Full Self-Driving version 1 computer.
The version 2, we expect to be about 3x as powerful. And this needs to be paired with higher resolution cameras. ...
For Level 5, basically the car car drive without a driver inside the car.

To do so, you need to add some camera at each corner of the car.
to avoid to have the front of the car entering into a crossing lane to make a left or a right turn.

Currently, using FSD, it is be impossible to exit safely from my driveway and to turn right into the traffic.

If you look at the new Chinese EVs present at the recent LA car show, you can noticed that they have a Lidar or a camera at each corner.

Byton 2021 LA car show .jpg

xpeng-g9-1-1068x844.jpg

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: hellocar
If you look at the new Chinese EVs present at the recent LA car show, you can noticed that they have a Lidar or a camera at each corner.
If I see what you are pointing out correctly, these Chinese cameras are mounted low, so if parked at a junction next to another car its view will be hindered by the car (or parked traffic). I think this is why Tesla mounted the cameras in the pillars, as you need height as well - or perhaps both if the computer can handle the load.

If I see what you are pointing out correctly, these Chinese cameras are mounted low, so if parked at a junction next to another car its view will be hindered by the car (or parked traffic). I think this is why Tesla mounted the cameras in the pillars, as you need height as well - or perhaps both if the computer can handle the load.
I remember watching a on YouTube a video where the driver was testing how FSD would be able to make a left turn.
This Youtuber was also using a drone to show an above view of the intersection.

The big issue was that, to have the side view camera able to see the traffic coming from the left,
the front of the car has to beinside the crossing lane.

Well, it seems that there was still enough space inside the lane to have the other cars passing in front of the car.
But suddenly, the driver noticed a big semi approaching and the semi was almost as wide as the lane.

The youtuber had the instant reaction to move back his car just seconds before the semi passed few inches in front of his car.
I will try to retreive this video, but I can tell you this was very scary.

I have the same situation when I exit from my driveway, because there are cars parked on my left blocking the visibility.
In general, the trick that I use is to find an angle were I can see the coming traffic through the winshield of the car park on the left.
But this is not easier anymore with the Model 3 because I am seating too low, so I have to install a camera under my license plate
to see the traffic coming from the left.

I can tell you that autonomous driving will never be possible unless there are cameras or lidars at each corner of the car, front and rear,
because in particular the car will not be able to notice any pedestrian, bicycle, skaboarder passing close to the front or the rear of the car.
Relying on a camera loacted on the side of the car is not sufficient, this was demonstrated on many videos made by security certification agencies.

City driving will be the most critical issue for FSD. Otherwise on highway FSD is already quite impressing, and I really love it too.
I would recommend this reading and watching the videos from this article:

Note: Interesting, basically the only time the driver was not using FSD was to use a Supercharger?
An autonomus car should be able to find a charger and park itself, especially since Tesla knows
the location of each stall and which one is available.

Last edited:
I can tell you that autonomous driving will never be possible unless there are cameras or lidars at each corner of the car, front and rear,
There is no one solution to this. There will be edge cases that won't be possible even with "cameras or lidars at each corner of the car, front and rear" and then we are back to square one.

Lots of times I can't see whats coming from the left because of a big car or truck on the left lane. At those times I've to wait for the truck to move or for me to get green light, so I'm not turning on red. If these are not possible because of terrible road design, you need to take a different route.

There is no one solution to this. There will be edge cases that won't be possible even with "cameras or lidars at each corner of the car, front and rear" and then we are back to square one.

Lots of times I can't see whats coming from the left because of a big car or truck on the left lane. At those times I've to wait for the truck to move or for me to get green light, so I'm not turning on red. If these are not possible because of terrible road design, you need to take a different route.
Agree, but it will be difficult to take a different route when @Kaisoku(Fast) is talking about exiting his driveway which is why the added camera.

I remember watching a on YouTube a video where the driver was testing how FSD would be able to make a left turn.
This Youtuber was also using a drone to show an above view of the intersection.

The big issue was that, to have the side view camera able to see the traffic coming from the left,
the front of the car has to beinside the crossing lane.

Well, it seems that there was still enough space inside the lane to have the other cars passing in front of the car.
But suddenly, the driver noticed a big semi approaching and the semi was almost as wide as the lane.

The youtuber had the instant reaction to move back his car just seconds before the semi passed few inches in front of his car.
I will try to retreive this video, but I can tell you this was very scary.

I have the same situation when I exit from my driveway, because there are cars parked on my left blocking the visibility.
In general, the trick that I use is to find an angle were I can see the coming traffic through the winshield of the car park on the left.
But this is not easier anymore with the Model 3 because I am seating too low, so I have to install a camera under my license plate
to see the traffic coming from the left.

because in particular the car will not be able to notice any pedestrian, bicycle, skaboarder passing close to the front or the rear of the car.
Relying on a camera loacted on the side of the car is not sufficient, this was demonstrated on many videos made by security certification agencies.

City driving will be the most critical issue for FSD. Otherwise on highway FSD is already quite impressing, and I really love it too.
I would recommend this reading and watching the videos from this article:

Note: Interesting, basically the only time the driver was not using FSD was to use a Supercharger?
An autonomus car should be able to find a charger and park itself, especially since Tesla knows
the location of each stall and which one is available.
The challenge with the poster you're referring to is that the left side of the intersection was occluded by a shrubbery♥. Thus, the only way to assess oncoming traffic from the left was to sneak out into the lane. I don't think that's normal behavior where sightlines are not impaired.

♥Not to be confused with Holy Grail type Shrubbery. Ni!

Last edited:
Seems like we'll have at least another 10.x before 11. I wonder how many more will be inserted. Could go well past 10 "dot releases," e.g., FSD Beta 10.11 or FSD Beta 10.100.

Woot. Excited for some incremental improvement. I think they're definitely a few months away from v11. I feel like the path planning has to get waayyyyy better before I'd be comfortable with v11 driving me down the interstate at 80mph.

Woot. Excited for some incremental improvement. I think they're definitely a few months away from v11. I feel like the path planning has to get waayyyyy better before I'd be comfortable with v11 driving me down the interstate at 80mph.
I don't think they will use the same path planning for freeway and city - atleast initially.

Anyway - there are a LOT more important things to do for v11 than single stack ...
- NN Monte Carlo based planner
- Voxels
- 360 degree video based perception

I don't think they will use the same path planning for freeway and city - atleast initially.

Anyway - there are a LOT more important things to do for v11 than single stack ...
- Voxels
Oh interesting. I was under the impression that incremental improvements like those (if you can call them that... they're pretty huge changes) were coming to v10 and v11 was introducing the process of "zipping" freeway and city together into a single stack. The "major" version bump would be a "braking" change (heh) to freeway AP and thus deserving of some pomp and circumstance.

I'm hesitantly excited for freeway AP to get this upgrade whenever it does come. On the one hand, FSD beta tries to get me into accidents / piss off human drivers, but on the other hand, phantom braking + lane changes + turns are so much more gentle and natural than AP2. (INB4 "phantom braking feels much more gentle and natural LOL".)

Oh interesting. I was under the impression that incremental improvements like those (if you can call them that... they're pretty huge changes) were coming to v10 and v11 was introducing the process of "zipping" freeway and city together into a single stack. The "major" version bump would be a "braking" change (heh) to freeway AP and thus deserving of some pomp and circumstance.
The examples I mentioned above are major changes - big enough that they spent a lot of time talking about them in AI day. They hardly touched upon the single stack, in comparison.

Currently NOA and AP on highways work better than FSD. So, any kind of single stack is likely to degrade NOA/AP, rather than improve them. I'd rather they concentrate and get FSD to be at the same reliability as NOA, before merging the stacks.

- Voxels
i thought Voxels was already in FSD beta. There have been numerous tweets posted in this forum of the improvements to the voxel performance over the past few 10.x releases