Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel as if the real reason was the give an illusion of safety.

A media spin of sorts.

I do have some additional theories that are fun to think about:

They intentionally made it difficult to get FSD Beta that a subscriber wouldn't unsubscribe simply because they didn't want to go through all that work all over again when re-subscribing. The "lets give it another month" kind of thing.

They made it difficult so people would be more likely to give it the benefit of the doubt, and more willing to be patient with it. Not just this, but where they live in areas more conducive for early beta testing. This is essentially the same reason you gave.

They intentionally made it difficult to people without FSD wouldn't bother subscribing to try out FSD beta in its early form. They're worried they could lose that customer forever just because of how bad the initial experience would be. Just like the new price is $12K which will keep people from buying it.

With that being said I don't think a lot thought goes into decisions Tesla makes. Most of them have the distinct smell of an Elon Musk brain fart.

Agree that safety score was more image crafting than practical. That's because the score factors were derived from statistical fleet accident data. The g forces for hard braking and hard cornering are not arbitrary; Tesla has data showing what these values were during accidents. And statistically, cars exceeding those g forces were more likely to crash.

Elon said a typical driver's score should be around 80. But because so many people wanted to experience FSD beta, it got so competitive that only a 100 score could get you into the first cohort. If 80 represents how most people normally drive, then a 100 is going to feel very unnatural. We all had to drive like a granny because statistical model considers a 100 score the safest way to drive. Of course we know that the model breaks down (people running yellows to prevent a hard braking ding) in terms of actual safety. But.... Tesla can say they made an effort to ensure people who got in were "statistically safe." Also, perhaps people would not be so cavalier with FSD when they worked so hard to get it.

I still think it's pretty amazing that with 60k people on the beta, we haven't seen any high profile accidents reported.

Reactions: drtimhill
...I truly couldn’t care less about a fake “score”....
The unsafe FSD phantom braking has been reported by many to negatively impact the safety score for FSD. (The irony)

You sure do post a lot about the Safety Score for someone who "truly couldn't care less" (The irony) :oops::oops: Might want to work on those caring skills. 🤣🤣🤣

Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 7.26.22 AM.png

Last edited:
I just did a 600 mile drive almost entirely on autopilot. My score went from 98 to 81. WTH!
The few miles that you weren't on autopilot you must have had a quite a bit of close following, hard braking, or aggressive turning. If you drove 595 miles on autopilot and then drove 5 miles manually and had one or two hard braking instances on those manual drives, that would wreck your score.

I mean people have paid this money, sometimes multiple times over the years, for a product that still isn't viable and where they need to jump through Safety Score hoops to be allowed to do unpaid driver testing/development for the software they bought.

This should become a case study in business or psychology or something

Tesla FSD syndrome is the new Stockholm syndrome

(There are many people with all the symptoms on these forums :) )

This should become a case study in business or psychology or something
Fairly basic. Its called curiosity - and I believe most children have it, although a lot of adults lose it while growing up ;)

ps : People put in $50k deposit for Roadster and $40k for Model S, with very good possibility of losing all that money. Those who complain now should first thank all those who took the risk and put down money on a new EV company when for 80 years not a single new automaker in the US succeeded.

Tesla FSD syndrome is the new Stockholm syndrome

(There are many people with all the symptoms on these forums :) )
Nah. See above.

BTW, will you pls stop shouting ?

ps : Also very OT.

Last edited:
Here is an interesting tweet - given the context. Though not directly FSD related, still important.

Must have hurt Biden so badly to mention Tesla ;)
Obviously it was because of the mounting political pressure. Mentioning Tesla at an unrelated CCS charger event is a little awkward but he did do it.

[Funny]I would not be surprised if Musk wasn't as happy to NOT hear Lucid as he was to hear Tesla. Rivian and Proterra got a nod too.

Last edited:
still think it's pretty amazing that with 60k people on the beta, we haven't seen any high profile accidents reported.
The reasons are complex, but probably come down to a combination of: (a) the beta tester selection process weeded out the crazies (maybe), (b) people DONT want to get their car dinged and so are hyper-vigilant, (c) FSD is perhaps pretty good at avoiding accidents.

I know I've stopped the car a number of times when it might well have recovered and/or been safe but I wasn't prepared to take the risk (it can get very close to the cub on some turns, but it probably knows to the inch where it is, but I'm not willing to chance it).

The problem with (a) and (b) of course is it means Tesla dont really know how the car will behave if put into the hands of idiots average drivers.

The reasons are complex, but probably come down to a combination of: (a) the beta tester selection process weeded out the crazies (maybe), (b) people DONT want to get their car dinged and so are hyper-vigilant, (c) FSD is perhaps pretty good at avoiding accidents.

I know I've stopped the car a number of times when it might well have recovered and/or been safe but I wasn't prepared to take the risk (it can get very close to the cub on some turns, but it probably knows to the inch where it is, but I'm not willing to chance it).

The problem with (a) and (b) of course is it means Tesla dont really know how the car will behave if put into the hands of idiots average drivers.
Like how I shriek like a little girl every time the car takes a left turn and im sure it's going to hit the curb, but it never does?

In my car it's my wife that does that shrieking.

I always need to get used to the new software but it usually doesn't take too long. I am used to the diving for the bike lane now and I know it will recover before I need to do anything so I just let it do it's thing.

Pretty much back to letting the car drive, gives me time to relax. Sure there are the occasional TAKE OVER IMMEDIATELY beeping madness, but most of the drive is quite nice, and even with the car shouting at me there isn't an emergency, the car is still going in a straight line down the road, so it's getting better. Looking forward to getting 10.9

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I believe that while the AP activities won't ding your score, the miles while on AP don't count in the denominator when you have a non-AP ding. So AP time is a double-edged sword.
Exactly! To be more precise, the daily score is calculated based on the non-AP miles and violations. On a really long drive with most of the miles on AP, you can get a fairly low daily score if those few miles off AP are hard-braking and close following on exit or entry ramps and such. But then when it averages that score back into the overall, it uses ALL THE MILES from that day as the weighting for that day's score in the average. So that 2 miles of the 600 mile drive that you drove off AP may net you a daily score of 78, and then you will get 600 miles worth of 78 averaged back into your overall score.

Reactions: FelixORiley
Exactly! To be more precise, the daily score is calculated based on the non-AP miles and violations. On a really long drive with most of the miles on AP, you can get a fairly low daily score if those few miles off AP are hard-braking and close following on exit or entry ramps and such. But then when it averages that score back into the overall, it uses ALL THE MILES from that day as the weighting for that day's score in the average. So that 2 miles of the 600 mile drive that you drove off AP may net you a daily score of 78, and then you will get 600 miles worth of 78 averaged back into your overall score.
Yes, correct. it seems this needs to be repeated every so often because memory on these forums is very short (and apparently people dont know how to use the search feature).

• Helpful
Reactions: israndy
Like how I shriek like a little girl every time the car takes a left turn and im sure it's going to hit the curb, but it never does?
Earlier people cribbed about the car crossing the center line when turning. So, they overcorrected by going straight further and then taking a sharp - but still wider turn. Started with 10.8.1, IIRC.

They need to increase the cost of getting close to the curb and sharper turns and reduce the cost of crossing the center line.