Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It can work by looking at whether other vehicles have their wipers on. Or other visual cues, after all humans can see it's raining without any windows at all.

Other good cues are the sound of rain on the roof, and yes leverage the other cameras to determine whether it is raining. (somewhat /s I suppose).

I think the point of the autowipers though is to keep the windshield clear, not to determine whether it's raining. You don't need wipers when you're sitting under the overpass in a traffic jam. You do need wipers when someone splashes your windshield by driving through a car wash puddle on a dry day.

I'm not sure if auto wipers will ever work. If it is a light rain/drizzle it is often that the upper part of the windshield doesn't get any rain due to it being blown away by the wind so the camera does not see any raindrops while the lower part is getting wetter and wetter until I can't see anything.

Still, wouldn't cars with a rain sensor have the same problem, if the rain drops are being "blown away by the wind"? They are often mounted up high by the rear view mirror just like Tesla's cameras.

Still, wouldn't cars with a rain sensor have the same problem, if the rain drops are being "blown away by the wind"? They are often mounted up high by the rear view mirror just like Tesla's cameras.
Most high end cars no longer have a moisture sensor. They have an IR LED and a camera embedded in the windshield rearview mirror unit. This works better than Tesla's approach but it still suffers from the problems that you mentioned.

I wouldn't know - I never had one... My next newest car after my model 3 is 2000 Honda.

I guess you will not have to worry about the rain... as you will certainly stay at home that day !!!

rxX8XP6Q.xwHMnSMOz-(edit).jpg

• Funny
Reactions: impastu and EVNow
I still have my first new car 2000 Honda Insight, love it, easy to tow behind my RVs, not as pretty as the S2000 of course, but it uses the same steering wheel.

View attachment 769193
Loved my 2006 Insight. Not the most comfortable car but at times I could hypermile 70MPG with minimal effort. Many laughed when I bought it but when gas hit close to 5$ life was good. Miss that car.

Reactions: impastu
Here ya go

One would hope they wouldn't bother introing an old version for this- so 10.11 (or ideally 11.0) coming in.... about two weeks!

You know what happens with these releases. It’s going to be after midnight on Feb 28, I.e early March 1….it’ll then rollout to a small group of testers. Then it’ll pause for no reason for days and days. Then a .1 release will go out to a few beta testers as some issues are found, and THEN if you’re lucky, it’ll come a few days later. By then it’ll be mid-March 😂

• Funny
Reactions: thewishmaster
You know what happens with these releases. It’s going to be after midnight on Feb 28, I.e early March 1….it’ll then rollout to a small group of testers. Then it’ll pause for no reason for days and days. Then a .1 release will go out to a few beta testers as some issues are found, and THEN if you’re lucky, it’ll come a few days later. By then it’ll be mid-March 😂
You are an optimist ;)