Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Service appointment???????? WTF are you talking about? How is a service appointment applicable to Beta????? Do you want the service adviser to read the "Beta can do the worst thing at the wrong time" line out loud to you?šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Hmmmm.... So why are people complaining about the Beta doing the worst thing at the wrong time if that's what we're supposed to expect?

Apologies, my sarcasm doesn't always translate well on text. I read people complaining that their car does something terrible on Beta and saying that FSD is terrible or not what was advertised. Since there's nothing you can do about it, except report it to Tesla, why all the negatives?

If I'm beta testing a video game, and my character runs off a cliff when I told it to go into the vendor's hut, I write up a bug report and submit it to the game developers. What would the point be of complaining on a forum and ranting about how terrible the game is? It's in beta...

Reactions: Sigma4Life
If Iā€™m beta testing a video game, and my character runs off a cliff when I told it to go into the vendor's hut, I write up a bug report and submit it to the game developers. What would the point be of complaining on a forum and ranting about how terrible the game is? It's in beta...
I think some here think that the developers arenā€™t interested...but you are right...driving off a cliff would get their attention šŸ˜‰

• Funny
Reactions: Dewg
That's terribly dangerous. You should report it immediately to Tesla and have a service appointment created.
I've done that. And called Tesla Corporate. And called the major news networks and scheduled a news conference with Elon Musk. It's an outrage I tell you! šŸ˜

I did click the report button but my point wasn't to complain about how bad FSD is - it's beta and I fully expect stuff like that (although that was a pretty bad fail, I must say.) My real point was it's hard to call it 'autonomous' when it can't even drive on the right side of the road.

Last edited:
Sorry, FSD canā€™t effectively manage a 4 way stop sign or a traffic circle half the time. I know itā€™s in beta but you still canā€™t call it ā€˜autonomousā€˜ right now.
There is no magical ā€œautonomousā€œ line. Itā€™s a question of failure rates. On some features Tesla has recognized some revenue.

End of story.

This is getting OT. So, happy to ā€œagree to disagreeā€œ and move on.

Reactions: impastu
And right on cue - I took a different route to work that included a parkway. Slightly narrow but plenty wide enough for 2 cars, 20 MPH limit. FSD consistently drove on the wrong side of the road came to a full stop when a car approached and generally couldnā€™t manage. Even in the sections that had a dashed yellow line it wouldnā€™t stay on the correct side. Autonomous? Not.
Video ?

Looks like you have some faulty equipment ā€¦

So many of us drive on unmarked roads all the time without such issues.

BTW, this is the reason this is still Early Access FSD Beta.

Not sure why some people expect EA Beta (a.k.a. alpha) to behave like a production version.

Reactions: jabloomf1230
There is no magical ā€œautonomousā€œ line.

Except, there literally is.

In both SAE guidelines and actual laws and regulations

Itā€™s a question of failure rates.

It's really not.

Tesla, themselves, explicitly says the system is not capable of autonomy

By design and intent.

In 0% of cases is Teslas system capable of autonomy. Per Teslas own words.

On some features Tesla has recognized some revenue.

End of story.

Yes- on L2 features that include 0 autonomy.

Explicitly.

The word autonomy has actual and specific meaning. Nothing Tesla has recognized on revenue meets that meaning.

End of story indeed.

• Disagree
Reactions: israndy
Before I'd believe that account, I'd like to see a video. That behavior is so different than any that's been reported for recent versions of FSD beta.

Video ?

Looks like you have some faulty equipment ā€¦

So many of us drive on unmarked roads all the time without such issues.

BTW, this is the reason this is still Early Access FSD Beta.

Not sure why some people expect EA Beta (a.k.a. alpha) to behave like a production version.
I'll see if I have the video from the dash cam. It was just a few hours ago, so theoretically I should. I've never actually gone back and looked at dash cam video so I'll have to figure out how to do it.

The road curved back and forth a bit so I think that played into it. The road leading in to our neighborhood has an S curve in it and the car will often move to the wrong side of the road there, too. I was still surprised that it was so bad and that it couldn't even manage in the areas that had a yellow line. I routinely drive in unmarked residential roads and have never had an issue like this before.

@EVNow : I never said I expected it to behave like a production version. It's clearly beta and that's what I signed up for. You were saying 'Autonomous' so I simply posted a nice example of how it is anything but autonomous.

Below is a map and a link to the street I was driving (it's more white than green right now, though):

Edit - I went back and tried to look at the dash cam video and there was none saved. I did hit the video camera icon at the top of the screen when it occurred but apparently that only sends it to Tesla. The question I have now is how do I save dash cam video? I have it set to 'Auto' with 'on honk' selected but that only saves what the car considers emergencies. On my way home I tried tapping the dash cam icon and all it does is attempt to bring up the dash cam viewer before putting a message up that the viewer can't be used while the car is in motion. V11 scores again.

1645836268265.png

That road is mapped similarly on GM, TomTom and OSM. If Google Street View is to believed, the road has a yellow dashed center line. However the marking is often very worn, so it is possible that FSD beta inconsistently recognizes it as a lane marker. That, combined with the road having virtually no shoulder probably contributes to FSD beta trying to use more than its 10 ft lane.

You should drive it again to see how reproducible the behavior is.

Reactions: EVNow and sleepydoc
That road is mapped similarly on GM, TomTom and OSM. If Google Street View is to believed, the road has a yellow dashed center line. However the marking is often very worn, so it is possible that FSD beta inconsistently recognizes it as a lane marker. That, combined with the road having virtually no shoulder probably contributes to FSD beta trying to use more than its 10 ft lane.

You should drive it again to see how reproducible the behavior is.
Yes - I'll try again next week.

I thought about the lack of a shoulder causing issues, but the mapping data should have it labeled as a 2 way street and often times it was closer to the left curb than the right. The yellow lines are only present in parts of the road, too.

Now I just need to figure out how to save dash cam footage. :/ (I'm on 2021.44.30.21, FSD 10.2, FWIW)

Edit - I went back and tried to look at the dash cam video and there was none saved. I did hit the video camera icon at the top of the screen when it occurred but apparently that only sends it to Tesla. The question I have now is how do I save dash cam video? I have it set to 'Auto' with 'on honk' selected but that only saves what the car considers emergencies. On my way home I tried tapping the dash cam icon and all it does is attempt to bring up the dash cam viewer before putting a message up that the viewer can't be used while the car is in motion. V11 scores again.
Do you have a USB thumb drive plugged in and formatted for video? I assume this works the same in the Y as other models? Otherwise, dash cam is not saved for you to view.

@EVNow : I never said I expected it to behave like a production version. It's clearly beta and that's what I signed up for. You were saying 'Autonomous' so I simply posted a nice example of how it is anything but autonomous.
Thats the point I'm making.

"Autonomous" doesn't mean "Autonomous production" - you do have pre-beta autonomous, as in this case. As they say Rome wasn't built in one day.

Yes - I'll try again next week.

I thought about the lack of a shoulder causing issues, but the mapping data should have it labeled as a 2 way street and often times it was closer to the left curb than the right. The yellow lines are only present in parts of the road, too.

Now I just need to figure out how to save dash cam footage. :/ (I'm on 2021.44.30.21, FSD 10.2, FWIW)
I have mine set to save on honk. So press the video button to report to Tesla, then toot the horn šŸ™‚

The guy in the video was interesting....but....you donā€™t win a technical argument with clever sound bites and homilies. We all know the problem with the definitions of the levels...yet we all know what they mean. The only questions are..is this task technically possible (one day)...and is the software and hardware in your car on the correct course for this task.
But the knowledge that other automakers are including technologies just because Tesla isnā€™t... confirms exactly the reason I left them for Tesla

Thats the point I'm making.

"Autonomous" doesn't mean "Autonomous production" - you do have pre-beta autonomous, as in this case.

Except, you don't.

Tesla themselves said you don't

What is in beta testing today is not autonomous and never will be

Per Teslas own words.

The OEDR is incapable of autonomy and that isn't intended to change before widespread release of the feature.

Autonomy is something Tesla hopes to deliver in some future software that is not part of what is being tested today

I get why you refuse to believe randos on the internet, but you are refusing to believe Tesla themselves, speaking to a government agency, about the software in question.

It's pretty weird to keep disputing what even the maker of the software says it is and is not.

yes, and there are older clips saved, just nothing from today.

Dashcam by default does not "save" anything long term.

Anything it had as recent clips (max 1 hour) gets overwritten after 1 hour.

If you want it saved you must either:

Manually hit the button to save (NOT the FSDBeta button at the top- in V11 you need to go into the settings menu and tap the dashcam button)
or
Honk the horn if you have it set that way
or
Use voice command (google but I think "save dashcam" and a few other commands work)

If you do it'll move the last 10 minutes from the recent section that gets overwritten to the Saved folder.

Above all assumes you actually have it on- check the dashcam icon under settings it should say if it's recording or not.

• Disagree
Reactions: impastu