Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that the crux of the issue.

I don't mind Elon remaining with Tesla in some capacity, but he's far too busy and not interested in day to day stuff.

Tesla needs someone else in charge who can address the day to day stuff, and the increasing amount of bugs/issues. Someone that can help fix the custom support issue they have.
They don’t need a new CEO for that. Sounds like you’re describing a COO.

Isn't that what Tesla already is?

Limited Choices
Limited Options
Limited Colors

Elon is obsessed with the idea of the machine that makes the machine so I don't expect Tesla to ever be a car company of exciting options unless they're high cost like the Roadster 2.0
The worst companies are the ones that give you lots of uninteresting options. Just go look at your typical car company with all their options that exist only to hide the fact their main product sucks. I don’t need Tesla to provide lots of options, I need them to innovate and provide great products.

A guy who registered here 6 months back is "done with Elon".

Give me the name of ONE CEO who would have done what Elon has done with Tesla & SpaceX.

First successful US auto company in 80 years - and first space company ever.

Using my forum registration date as an argument against me sure is petty. I’ve been an owner since 2017 and never had an interest in the forums until FSD Beta was released.

If we’re gonna be that petty then check the like/dislike ratio on the comment. Still in my favor. It’s not just me.

I don’t care about 400000000% stock returns, or if Elon is going to space, or any of that noise. Their service and communication is currently awful, objectively. The hype driven by Elon continues to smokescreen the deeper issues with Tesla that are not being resolved. I’d love a CEO that stayed off Twitter and actively worked to make the company better instead of trying to sell the next thing (this week: the new Roadster preorders opening again, but no resolution for vibrating Plaids).

Anyways I’m sure I’m not making any friends right now but unless there are some major changes to the company I don’t foresee myself buying another Tesla. Again, I’m definitely not alone there.

Have a good one

Karpathy not being there might actually improve FSD. No offence to his intelligence but sometimes another brain can do better than what you thought was the best till that time
Easy for new brain to do better. Tell Elon: AP hardware 3 is not enough. AP hardware 4 is not enough. Stop fleecing its customers. Start experimenting with better hardware.

Using my forum registration date as an argument against me sure is petty. I’ve been an owner since 2017 and never had an interest in the forums until FSD Beta was released.

If we’re gonna be that petty then check the like/dislike ratio on the comment. Still in my favor. It’s not just me.

I don’t care about 400000000% stock returns, or if Elon is going to space, or any of that noise. Their service and communication is currently awful, objectively. The hype driven by Elon continues to smokescreen the deeper issues with Tesla that are not being resolved. I’d love a CEO that stayed off Twitter and actively worked to make the company better instead of trying to sell the next thing (this week: the new Roadster preorders opening again, but no resolution for vibrating Plaids).

Anyways I’m sure I’m not making any friends right now but unless there are some major changes to the company I don’t foresee myself buying another Tesla. Again, I’m definitely not alone there.

Have a good one
I agree their service and communication are beyond terrible. However because of Elon their products are second to none. I really need them to fix their issues but at the end of the day I spend 99.9% of my time with the product and 0.1% dealing with the company. I’ll take that trade off every time.

IMO they don’t need a new CEO to fix the issues, they just need a strong COO that Elon respects.

• Love
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Easy for new brain to do better. Tell Elon: AP hardware 3 is not enough. AP hardware 4 is not enough. Stop fleecing its customers. Start experimenting with better hardware.

I'm glad you already know HW4, not even in cars yet, isn't enough. How much, specifically, is?

Remind me again, because I've asked before, where can we buy your self-driving software again?

I'm glad you already know HW4, not even in cars yet, isn't enough. How much, specifically, is?

Remind me again, because I've asked before, where can we buy your self-driving software again?
Unless they start changing cameras and placement, no amount of compute is going to going to solve the fact that the car just can’t see at certain intersections or in certain conditions (sun at specific angles/rain/etc…)

I think it’s safe to say if HW4 is just another compute upgrade, it won’t be enough.

Unless they start changing cameras and placement, no amount of compute is going to going to solve the fact that the car just can’t see at certain intersections or in certain conditions (sun at specific angles/rain/etc…)

I think it’s safe to say if HW4 is just another compute upgrade, it won’t be enough.
Yes like Waymo or Cruise that have many lidars and radars but doesn't know that the car had no light 😂

According to rumors HW4 also contains new parking cameras, which enables birds eye view. But yeah, FSD continues to be a much bigger problem than people think, including Elon. Elon continues to make the same mistake since 2015. Hopefully Tesla can squeeze level 3 out of hardware 4. Will be great when it can handle potholes that elon said several years ago, was coming.

FWIW I don't believe they can get to L3 or better on city streets without more (or at least better placed) cameras.

I DO think they can do L2 city good enough for wide release- and L3 or L4 -highway only- with current camera #/locations though... you don't need to see around tight obstructed corners, nor see below the hood-line, on highways.

As how how much compute they need for any of those-- nobody knows. Including the dude who insisted HW4 wasn't enough without even knowing how much HW4 has.

Elon stated it is 3x the compute power of hardware 3.

No, he did not.

At autonomy day someone asked what the primary design goal was- he thought about it, someone can be heard whispering to him "safety" and he then says "it'll be at least 3x better than the current system"

He has since reiterated that he was clearly talking safety, not raw compute, on that point.

For example when he more recently said "But it’s really just gonna be like, can we take it from, say, for argument’s sake, 300% safer than a person to 1,000% safer"

Which is, indeed, a little better than 3x safety improvement- not raw compute.

Though even if we pretended he DID say what you misheard- what evidence do you have 3x compute wouldn't be sufficient?

How much compute, specifically, IS enough- and how do you know?

Elon stated that hardware redundancy is crucial. They are using both nodes of hardware 3. If we assume that hardware four is 3x more capable compute wise then that means it is 50% more capable when compared against two nodes of hw3. You need at least 100% more capable to create true hardware redundancy.

On a different train of thought: if one follows advancements in machine learning, all of the big progress has been made by larger models. So large models are key to recent improvements. These models are orders of magnitude bigger than hardware 3 or 4. That will give you an idea of what is needed, just to meet state of the art.

On a third train of thought: No model is perfect. There is no foreseeable change to this. To make the system fault tolerant, need several different models running in parallel checking each other. Tesla has not indicated they are doing this.

On a fourth train of thought: Fundamental failures are evident in FSD. For example: no solutions proposed when sun shining into camera. So unless there are significant upgrades to the cameras, hw4 will be insufficient. There are low cost solutions for this. There are image sensors that can block out the sun, but haven't seen indications that Tesla will employ this tech.

Last edited:
If we assume that hardware four is 3x capable compute wise

But there's no basis for that assumption. His 3x statement was about SAFETY, not compute.

As I JUST pointed out in the last reply.

So we can easily ignore everything you posted after that.

Which was a really long post to once again refuse to answer the actual question you've been asked 3 times now.

And where can we buy the self-driving SW that you wrote again?

Reactions: outdoors
According to rumors HW4 also contains new parking cameras, which enables birds eye view. But yeah, FSD continues to be a much bigger problem than people think, including Elon. Elon continues to make the same mistake since 2015. Hopefully Tesla can squeeze level 3 out of hardware 4. Will be great when it can handle potholes that elon said several years ago, was coming.
Including especially Elon. FTFY

But there's no basis for that assumption. His 3x statement was about SAFETY, not compute.

As I JUST pointed out in the last reply.

So we can easily ignore everything you posted after that.

Which was a really long post to once again refuse to answer the actual question you've been asked 3 times now.

And where can we buy the self-driving SW that you wrote again?

You did ask “ Though even if we pretended he DID say what you misheard- what evidence do you have 3x compute wouldn't be sufficient?”

I think he was responding to this