Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You did ask “ Though even if we pretended he DID say what you misheard- what evidence do you have 3x compute wouldn't be sufficient?”

I think he was responding to this

Yes, but then didn't really provide any evidence just more guessing and bad math.

For example:

"If we assume that hardware four is 3x more capable compute wise then that means it is 50% more capable when compared against two nodes of hw3. "

That's flat out wrong.

Because what Tesla is currently doing (having to cross-core the code) is a major hit to efficiency....(As Green and others have remarked upon in the past). So HW3s total usable compute when doing this is not Core 1 total compute + Core 2 total compute.

Then he tells us:

"You need at least 100% more capable to create true hardware redundancy.""

Which is, again, baseless and bad math.

Currently we know the system spec was given as 144 TOPS-- this is based on each sides NN chips doing 72 TOPS, with the intent being each core ran independently and redundantly.

But 72 TOPs was not enough so they had to start sending stuff cross-core- with the big hit to efficiency.

3x total compute would mean HW4 has 216 TOPS per core. Which is 50% more per core than both cores combined on HW3.

Given the current system today runs in some significant amount less compute than 144 TOPs (we don't know how much less... dunno if @verygreen can tell us?) and also has not been optimized for anything yet-- where is the evidence that 216 TOPS per core is "not enough" to run it with redundancy?

And again all of THAT is based on his already wrong assumption from mishearing what Elon was talking about with 3x-- he was discussing safety- not compute.

If we instead apply Moores law, with there being at least two 18 month doublings since HW3 (and really it'll be longer) we instead get to 576 TOPS as the available compute total, or 288 TOPS per core.... which also happens to be 2x the combined compute of both cores on HW3.

(and yes I'm aware technically Moores law is transistor count, but it has effectively worked for the sort of thing I'm discussing outside that period for x86 CPUs where Intel sat for 5+ years not doing anything useful)

On a different train of thought: if one follows advancements in machine learning, all of the big progress has been made by larger models. So large models are key to recent improvements. These models are orders of magnitude bigger than hardware 3 or 4. That will give you an idea of what is needed, just to meet state of the art.
The larger model are needed to design/build the algorithm. I am sure you don’t need that HW to execute the algorithm for the given inputs.

When someone states a speculation as a fact, it is just a "lie".

And those who "like" such posts aren't any better.

Elon stating that all Tesla cars have Hardware capable for Full Self Driving and that your car will become a robotaxi, and it’s coming next year, and it’ll be L5, etc…is all entirely speculation. if your definition of stating speculation like fact is a lie, then I’m sorry, your buddy Elon is lying to you as well…

And they thought someone else was better to lead Apple too, only to later call him back !

(no, Jobs didn't do 10% of what Elon has done

Jobs helped pioneer the movement to put computers in homes. Or how about downloadable music to portable devices? Or how about mobile devices? Or making personal computers available to the masses through a GUI? Granted Xerox came up with the idea, but they didn’t have the insight to make it what the Lisa/Mac ultimately became.

Elon makes shitty cars and launches rockets to deploy satellites for slow internet. I hardly think his impact is felt by everyone. Only those who care about whatever he’s selling.

FSD is a joke and a scam. “Gimmick” is most appropriate. Elon is in so deep and has doubled down so much that he has no choice but to die on that hill.

Last edited:
Jobs helped pioneer the movement to put computers in homes. Or how about downloadable music to portable devices? Or how about mobile devices? Or making personal computers available to the masses through a GUI? Granted Xerox came up with the idea, but they didn’t have the insight to make it what the Lisa/Mac ultimately became.

Elon makes shitty cars and launches rockets to deploy satellites for slow internet. I hardly think his impact is felt by everyone. Only those who care about whatever he’s selling.

FSD is a joke and a scam. “Gimmick” is most appropriate. Elon is in so deep and has doubled down so much that he has no choice but to die on that hill.
“and launches rockets”

How many did Jobs launch? How many did Bezoz launch? How many did Gates launch? How many did Buffet launch?

None of that is Jobs innovation. You can easily read up on all those.

The biggest idea of Jobs was to focus on customer experience instead of features. That revolutionized software design.

Making stuff cheaply in China and selling it for fat margins ? Lots of retailers did that long before Jobs.

Elon stating that all Tesla cars have Hardware capable for Full Self Driving and that your car will become a robotaxi, and it’s coming next year, and it’ll be L5, etc…is all entirely speculation. if your definition of stating speculation like fact is a lie, then I’m sorry, your buddy Elon is lying to you as well…
Unless OP is working to make something happen, it’s a lie. Anyway Oranges <> Apples etc.

And Elon is not my “buddy” ;)

(moderator edit)
I don’t even understand why I am responding to you. Elon changed the way rockets are launched, and the cost factor by reusing rockets.

The SpaceX Falcon 1 was the first privately developed liquid fuel rocket to reach orbit. In 2010, SpaceX became the first commercial company to successfully recover a spacecraft from Earth orbit with its Dragon spacecraft.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sigma4Life
I don’t even understand why I am responding to you. Elon changed the way rockets are launched, and the cost factor by reusing rockets.

The SpaceX Falcon 1 was the first privately developed liquid fuel rocket to reach orbit. In 2010, SpaceX became the first commercial company to successfully recover a spacecraft from Earth orbit with its Dragon spacecraft.”

That’s great, but has zero impact on people’s every day lives. Put a device in evey persons pocket and I’ll be impressed. Or how about putting a new device in every home? It’s not going to happen. Launching satellites is fine and dandy, but the only people who care are people launching satellites, rocket enthusiasts and Elon zealots.

That’s great, but has zero impact on people’s every day lives. Put a device in evey persons pocket and I’ll be impressed. Or how about putting a new device in every home? It’s not going to happen. Launching satellites is fine and dandy, but the only people who care are people launching satellites, rocket enthusiasts and Elon zealot
you really just keep doubling down on stupid... without those satellites your little phone wouldn't be worth the materials it's made from, we wouldn't have cell phones, internet, GPS, missile defense, commercial air travel, and on and on and on... yeah no impact on anyones lives there lol

you really just keep doubling down on stupid... without those satellites your little phone wouldn't be worth the materials it's made from, we wouldn't have cell phones, internet, GPS, missile defense, commercial air travel, and on and on and on... yeah no impact on anyones lives there lol
I hate to break it to you, but we had cell phones before Elon. We’ve had GPS since the 1960s. We’d still have them without him too. I know you can’t grasp that reality, but I promise you it’s true…

Do you really attribute everything to Elon? I knew there were Musk fanatics, but this is great stuff. Keep it coming! Hopefully we get some “flat-earther” stuff before too long!

Reactions: BrerBear
I hate to break it to you, but we had cell phones before Elon. We’ve had GPS since the 1960s. We’d still have them without him too. I know you can’t grasp that reality, but I promise you it’s true…

Do you really attribute everything to Elon? I knew there were Musk fanatics, but this is great stuff. Keep it coming! Hopefully we get some “flat-earther” stuff before too long!
omg this is sad lol... did i say i attributed that to elon? no, thats your obsession enjoy that, i simply said he's doing work that is important to us all since you asserted his work was meaningless to the common person. satellites run the world... keep digging brother, you'll hit that turtle eventually! :D

omg this is sad lol... did i say i attributed that to elon? no, thats your obsession enjoy that, i simply said he's doing work that is important to us all since you asserted his work was meaningless to the common person. satellites run the world... keep digging brother, you'll hit that turtle eventually! :D
My point is if there was no spacex, life as we know it would be exactly the same for you and I. Launching satellites is nothing new. They’re just doing it cheaper. It’s not revolutionizing the way we live our daily lives. Does it have an impact? Perhaps. But I’m not benefitting from cheap satellite deployment unless I subscribe to his internet service. If corporations save money launching satellites, those savings aren’t going to get passed down to customers. Im not expecting my cellular bill to drop all of a sudden because the infrastructure became cheaper to establish.

Alright, get a room you two ;)

How about the offer to take Twitter private? “Funding secured” for real this time? Will the board take Elon’s offer? If so what will that mean for the platform? I’m all for free speech but not when it hurts others.. fine balancing act. Not sure Elon will be that balance.

My point is if there was no spacex, life as we know it would be exactly the same for you and I. Launching satellites is nothing new. They’re just doing it cheaper. It’s not revolutionizing the way we live our daily lives. Does it have an impact? Perhaps. But I’m not benefitting from cheap satellite deployment unless I subscribe to his internet service. If corporations save money launching satellites, those savings aren’t going to get passed down to customers. Im not expecting my cellular bill to drop all of a sudden because the infrastructure became cheaper to establish.
If there was no Space X we wouldn’t lunching *sugar* right about now. Since Russia has screwed the world. And guess who was major launcher for our stuff before Elon came along? Who sold rocket engines for our rockets? You bet right, Russia.
P.S.
You failed to analyze the master plan in the long term. He will make cars for masses at the end in one way or another (robotaxi), he will make us interplanetary species and god knows what else he will implement. From Tesla bots to neurolinks! To sustainable energy and everything in between!

Last edited: