Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: FSD Beta tweets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
’L2’ is a very broad category stretching from adaptive cruise on one end to Autopilot and FSDb on the other. The blended system you describe is somewhere in the middle. The key issue is one of driver expectations. in L2 the driver is responsible for the car, even if the car’s currently doing everything. As such the driver is expected to pay constant attention and take over at any time if necessary.
Well, my point is that Tesla's implementation of level 2 is a "hands off" design while other brands are much more comfortable to drive hands on because of the symbiosis between driver and car.
Poor design from Tesla that induces complacency.
But, they designed it back in 2014/5 and implemented it without nags - a different time.

Humans don't visually avoid potholes as much as they remember where they are, and they avoid them in the future.
The problem with this statement is the first time a driver encounters a new pothole is when driver has the greatest chance to risk tire/suspension damage.
And when I avoid the pothole in the future I have the option to either disengage or exit FSD. Since I want Tesla to be aware of the pothole problem I ALWAYS force the disengagement so it's accurately reflected in their metrics.

The problem with this statement is the first time a driver encounters a new pothole is when driver has the greatest chance to risk tire/suspension damage.
And when I avoid the pothole in the future I have the option to either disengage or exit FSD. Since I want Tesla to be aware of the pothole problem I ALWAYS force the disengagement so it's accurately reflected in their metrics.
But do wheel destroying potholes appear out of nowhere or do they progressively get larger?

A pothole would need to be pretty big for me to remember its location. Or, I would need to hit it multiple times! I drive a lot of streets and perhaps don't have that kind of memory.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Humans don't visually avoid potholes as much as they remember where they are, and they avoid them in the future.

Tesla could create a system where they used accelerometers (or some wheel sensors) to detect hitting a pot hole, and then used that data to trigger labeling of video data to train a neural network to identify a pot hole. Where they also used this detection to trigger reporting of the pot hole to whatever local agency was in charge of fixing a pot hole.

When approaching the same location they could use the cameras to determine if the pot hole was still there or not.

I personally don't see any excuse for City Streets system not to have some mechanism to avoid pot holes. At the very least to remember where they are.

A pothole would need to be pretty big for me to remember its location. Or, I would need to hit it multiple times! I drive a lot of streets and perhaps don't have that kind of memory.
I was responding to S4WRXTTCS. I am in complete agreement with you.
Robotaxi is many parts of the country will require some level of pothole avoidance especially when they start to appear after the first thaw/freeze cycles.

But do wheel destroying potholes appear out of nowhere or do they progressively get larger?

around here, yes they notoriously appear out of nowhere. and yes they progressively get larger.

we also have something called frost heaving, which can basically create very hard bumps as the asphalt is shoved upwards by underground ice. Those frequently form insta-potholes in the spring.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Last edited:
Reactions: Ramphex and DanCar
Yeah, since Elon just predicted that FSD will reach human level safety this year it would be pretty inconsistent to say that it won't be able to drive in a one lane tunnel. haha.
Right? I mean they don’t even need FSD Beta for this. They control the lanes, the lineage, the markings, the signaling - everything. Just train up a vision stack on every inch of the tunnel system (could do this with simulation) and write straightforward procedural code for everything else. Don’t even have to get regulatory approval.

Last edited: