Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe you are attempting to split hairs. So GPS and I'll keep driving on.
Not at all.

They are two separate things. The distinction is important if you really want to get a lawyer.

You paid for FSD, FSD Beta is an early access program that you can be kicked out of.

Eventually FSD will have all features that FSD Beta have, but that "eventually" is measured in Elon time.

I believe you are attempting to split hairs. So GPS and I'll keep driving on.
No hair splitting. Here is exactly what you paid for in the FSD Capability package. FSD Beta (AKA: Autosteer on city streets) is NOT part of the package but is a privilege Tesla chooses to grant or resend. Until Autosteer on city streets is listed as a feature (not just coming soon) it is not included.

Screenshot 2023-05-09 at 3.16.15 PM.png

They're definitely not overselling anything with the "$15K FSD Package" today, it implies that the only thing you get for your $15k is stopping for traffic lights and stop signs.

Even "Autosteer on city streets" is not very compelling because that implies it's just a lane hold feature and doesn't follow the navigation route or make turns. If it said "Navigate on Autopilot for City Streets" that would be closer to what FSD Beta is.

I don't keep stats on jerky turns... they do happen once in a while, but in light/no traffic situations I've never had a reason to take control back--- I do occasionally when it's being jerking say, making a left and there IS another car in the cross-traffic lane as I don't want to freak him out-- it's rare but non zero.
It depends on how jerky it is. After a couple of jerks, I disengage, because disengagements get reported to Tesla, whereas bad driving without disengagements likely does not. If we ignore that behavior, it won't end up in the disengagement counts, and nobody will ever spend the time to try to fix the misbehavior.

You mean like where the dotted lines go to solid single white? Here at least it's not illegal to change lanes across those.

Not illegal, no, but it will surprise both other drivers and people in the car when a vehicle gets into the rightmost left turn lane, then right before the intersection suddenly cuts hard left to change into the leftmost left turn lane — particularly when there is a hard barrier like a light rail track just past that next lane. 🙃

Normally, drivers pick the right turn lane at the beginning and you stay in that lane until after the turn, except in rare exceptions (e.g. stalled car). Doing something multiple standard deviations away from what a human driver would typically do can be potentially unsafe even if the behavior isn't strictly illegal. 🙂

I did see it do this REALLY early in the beta-- then it'd occasionally "display" them as such but not react to em... haven't had it even do that in quite some time now though.... (disclaimer- this is regular train crossing lights-- we don't have light rail so could be different)

These are different. In parts of the Bay Area, there are places where a light rail runs down the middle of the street. The lights for the train look like normal traffic signals, but with a white "T" instead of a green light, maybe a red horizontal line for the red light, and I forget what the yellow light looks like.

At one spot near my house, the light rail turns right and goes across the road. I regularly make a left turn at that same corner, which means crossing the tracks.

When that light turns white ("green"), FSD interprets it as a green left arrow and tries to drive out in front of the train.

Never had it entirely ignore one-- I've had it stop too short of one (signs mainly not lights- then take forever to creep up enough). And once had it ignore one it wouldn't have seen until going around a sharp corner which was absolutely "wrong" but more an edge case.... ones straight ahead have been reliable for a long while for me.

I've slammed on the brakes twice so far, at a point where I could barely stop in time. So I'm 90% sure it ignored it. I definitely wasn't looking down at the screen at the time.

dgatwood said:
[*]It weaves back and forth between garbage cans, aiming right for the next can before suddenly dodging back out at the last possible second, rather than staying to the left as it should.
I'm having trouble picturing this, are cans being left so far from curbs there's drivable space between them and the curb?

No, no. The garbage cans are at the edge of the road.

Car path is the dashed line below:

. . . . . _. _ . . . . . . . ._. _ . . . . . . . . _. _ . . . . .
_ _ _ _ / ,--, \_ _ _ _ _ _ / ,--, \_ _ _ _ _ _ _/ ,--, \_ _ _ _ car path
__________{__}________________{__}_________________{__}__________
, , , , , Can . . . . . . . . Can , , , , , , , , , Can

Ignore the row of periods and commas. The forum collapses multiple consecutive whitespace characters (even non-breaking spaces).

This one is weird- I've never, in all the time I've had it, seen it recognize ANY non-standard speed limit sign....including ones that actually applied (school zone/time ones for example)

There are at least two or three 35 MPH Truck speed limit signs on CA-17 that it reliably tries to enforce. Whether the car is doing that or it is bad map data, I have no idea. I do know that they suddenly started appearing right around the time that they started using cameras to read speed signs.

I believe you are attempting to split hairs.
I believe you are wrong. Without these guard rails NHTSA will probably ask Tesla to completely stop FSD Beta. So, I'm fully supportive of Tesla to put whatever checks they need to get on the right side of NHTSA (we know Tesla already plays quite close to the edge most of the time).

Smart summon updates in a "few months":

So in Elon time, maybe before the end of 2023?
Note he did not imply that there would be any smart summon or reverse summon update.

It’s good that Elon has made the rest of his Tweets reliably full of 💩, because now we can easily tell every Tweet about FSD is also 💩 . A carefully calibrated 💩 detector is no longer needed (arguably it never was, but an argument for days gone by).

Note he did not imply that there would be any smart summon or reverse summon update.

The tweet he's replying to says "Wonder if smart summon and reverse summon will get a big update soon." Unless Elon is completely ignoring the context, the "update" in his tweet is talking about smart summon.

The tweet he's replying to says "Wonder if smart summon and reverse summon will get a big update soon." Unless Elon is completely ignoring the context, the "update" in his tweet is talking about smart summon.
I think the history here makes it clear. But I guess we each believe what we wish.

I mean, he's been talking about awesome Smart Summon and Reverse Summon for literally years.

There's no reason to think his Tweet was related to that at all, given that it didn't specifically mention it (it was only a reply to something that specifically mentioned it).