Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is odd to me is Elon is commenting on NDA release notes from TeslaBull. TeslaBull must be an approved higher-up since Tesla has allowed them to continue posting all this time and Elon allows them to use Tweeter to post too.
Tesla may not care if the release notes gets out. We don't know whether Elon even knows about this TeslaBull who is posting videos. I suspect if they get into an accident and post it - like that other guy did, he will be fired.

All companies are quite happy if people with NDA don't disclose anything negative (or proprietary secret) ;)

Tesla may not care if the release notes gets out. We don't know whether Elon even knows about this TeslaBull who is posting videos. I suspect if they get into an accident and post it - like that other guy did, he will be fired.

All companies are quite happy if people with NDA don't disclose anything negative (or proprietary secret) ;)
He posts videos ON Tweeter all the time. Elon has to know.

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP and EVNow
No CEO can do anything to steer the ship if the last CEO now is CTO and head of Product and Sys Ops. Product needs to be under CEO directly and take orders (and collaborate with) CEO.

This will be a nothing burger. Elon still vetos any damn thing he wants and effectively calls the shots, but just more of a grenade lobbing troll in the peanut gallery, not so much in the direct line of fire. Great for Elon, he gets a bit of a deflection shield, and all the same sh-- still goes pear shaped all the time.

No CEO can do anything to steer the ship if the last CEO now is CTO and head of Product and Sys Ops. Product needs to be under CEO directly and take orders (and collaborate with) CEO.

This will be a nothing burger. Elon still vetos any damn thing he wants and effectively calls the shots, but just more of a grenade lobbing troll in the peanut gallery, not so much in the direct line of fire. Great for Elon, he gets a bit of a deflection shield, and all the same sh-- still goes pear shaped all the time.
She's not being hired "to steer the ship". She's being hired to deal with the garbage that comes with being CEO of an American corporation - something that Elon has talked about hating in the past. He owns the company, and that trumps any corporate role.

Could be a problem. Lots of people have medical issues that don’t mean they’re unsafe to have a license but could be a problem if Tesla is doing anything else but collecting the information. I know people that have licenses but can’t pass any DUI tests due to various multiple medical problems.

Collecting the details in one thing. Coding it into the cars is a whole other thing.

Last edited:
Could be a problem. Lots of people have medical issues that don’t mean they’re unsafe to have a license but could be a problem if Tesla is doing anything else but collecting the information. I know people that have licenses but can’t pass any DUI tests due to various multiple medical problems.

Collecting the details in one thing. Coding it into the cars is a whole other thing.
What are some examples of medical conditions for which this would produce a false positive but where the person should be qualified to drive?

Reactions: kriskros91
What are some examples of medical conditions for which this would produce a false positive but where the person should be qualified to drive?
One simple example I can think of is that many elderly people lose the ability to balance reliably on one foot. Though I've never been stopped for DUI, I've heard that this is one of the standard field sobriety tests.

I haven't sunk too far down this path yet, but I do notice that I have to concentrate more to tie or adjust my shoe if I pick up one leg; I used to do it without thinking.

Someone legally blind in one eye or have a lazy eye. They won’t be able to follow the pen test.

People with balance issues won’t be able to walk the line.

People with stuttering or other speak issues won’t be able to do the alphabet.

People with recent hit 2 knee replacements.

Handicap people that drive with modified cars that they don’t use their feet.

There are any number of medical conditions where you are perfectly safe to drive a car but would prohibit you from passing the standard field sobriety tests. Blood, urine, and breathalyzer not considered.

Point being there are many things the cameras could ding you that are not necessarily accurate indicators of not being able to drive.

Lazy eye, eye or eyelid twitch or spasm, things like Parkinson’s where you might shaking and moving your head around. Lots of things.

Many people with early Parkinson's disease can safely continue driving, especially if symptoms are controlled. Because Parkinson's disease worsens over time, however, many people with Parkinson's disease eventually will need to give up driving a car and rely on other forms of transportation.

The most obvious symptoms that can impact driving ability for people with early PD are typically motor difficulties such as resting tremors, rigid movements and difficulty maintaining stable posture, which may make it can eventually make it difficult to operate a vehicle safely eventually when condition worsens.

Someone legally blind in one eye or have a lazy eye. They won’t be able to follow the pen test.
Thanks for such a detailed answer. I was thinking less of the DUI field test and more of the sorts of things that Tesla is talking about monitoring with the camera. That is, are there medical reasons for excessive yawning, blinking, yawning, etc. I guess I should assume that they exist, and that the software is going to have to allow for some parts of the monitoring to be turned off or altered once a medical condition has been established.

I wonder what they plan on doing when they detect a drowsy driver. I can imagine a range of possibilities from life-saving to downright dystopian.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Thanks for such a detailed answer. I was thinking less of the DUI field test and more of the sorts of things that Tesla is talking about monitoring with the camera. That is, are there medical reasons for excessive yawning, blinking, yawning, etc. I guess I should assume that they exist, and that the software is going to have to allow for some parts of the monitoring to be turned off or altered once a medical condition has been established.

I wonder what they plan on doing when they detect a drowsy driver. I can imagine a range of possibilities from life-saving to downright dystopian.
Presumably, any algorithm (neural network), designed to detect drowsiness would be using multiple factors, so a single item related to some medical condition might not trigger a red flag. Also, it might be that the system would form a baseline at the beginning of a drive and look for worsening characteristics over time.

If Tesla monitors how well I stay centered, I could be in trouble.
Along with a few other "unusual personalities" here on the forum!

You know who you are...
Staying centered in the lane is culturally rude. In an edge lane, (far left or right), everyone hugs the outside. Look at the worn tracks, they are rarely centered.

I take over from AP all the damn time because it stays too centered, not using the whole legal lane as safely as possible.

Here's a great test: do you have a driver's license? OK, you can drive your own car. Mind your own damn business, car.

Going to disable all data sharing, this is ridiculous. I was all about sharing our data to help teach the models. No more.

Can't wait for the right to repair laws to pass so I can code my own sh--. Hell, I might even yard out the display computer and make my own UI, this one sucks balls anyway. Was always planning to as soon as the warranty was up. This is a kick in the pants to do it sooner.

Kinda done with this horsesh--.

Staying centered in the lane is culturally rude
Perhaps so, but I was speaking more as,a joke about personality traits :)
And I think the original comment about upcoming camera monitoring was referring to the driver's body posture in the seat, in order to keep FSD engaged (for better or wlorse regarding lane position and everything else it controls).

Perhaps so, but I was speaking more as,a joke about personality traits :)
And I think the original comment about upcoming camera monitoring was referring to the driver's body posture in the seat, in order to keep FSD engaged (for better or wlorse regarding lane position and everything else it controls).
Yeah, I may have over reacted after a couple adult beverages last night.

But I am yarding out the computer after all warranties expire and this is our beater around town car. Plenty of good DIY options.