Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon gives me Cat Quest but no Energy app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, same here. It's not really any one thing by itself, but the last few years Tesla's design/UX decisions seems have gone off the deep end - getting rid of all the commonly accessed controls/apps in V11, prioritizing games and entertainment that you use rarely over features that are useful all the time, the tiny little horn button, etc. Maybe they just decided that they don't need product managers and product designers, and engineers just started making all the design decisions with Elon cheering them on with the wild ideas.
Well said - More attention needs to be paid to car functionality and user experience and not in-car gaming.

On the bright side, I've figured out how to get along without the graphs. I give the voice command "show trips" every once in a while to figure out how consumption is going (especially looking at mileage for this charge and overall) and use the mileage-remaining estimate at the bottom of the Navigate window to learn how I'm doing against the original estimate for the trip.
Yes, I have resorted to "show trips" as it's the only option for this type of data to be displayed. Shame that it takes up the WHOLE center screen just so you can see three or four data points that used to be on one side of the driver screen!

I would trade all the games for the old trip card.

Reactions: David29
Yeah, same here. It's not really any one thing by itself, but the last few years Tesla's design/UX decisions seems have gone off the deep end - getting rid of all the commonly accessed controls/apps in V11, prioritizing games and entertainment that you use rarely over features that are useful all the time, the tiny little horn button, etc. Maybe they just decided that they don't need product managers and product designers, and engineers just started making all the design decisions with Elon cheering them on with the wild ideas.
I'm convinced they use engineers in India that don't own cars and take public transportation. That tiny horn button on the yoke is a joke. By the time you need it in an emergency it's too late to use. There is absolutely no excuse for such a basic design flaw. When they added the blind spot view when you turn on the signals what did they do? They put the window on the bottom of the screen where you have to fully take your eyes off the road to see it, and if your arm is in the 1-3 o'clock position, your arm also blocks off a portion of that pop up window. Why not put it on the top of the display where you can easily see it?! Errrr.

Maybe I missed the directions somewhere but what's the deal when trying to change the charge level and you have to guess what the slider position you moved to corresponds to? I end up using my watch app to change the charge level as it does what anyone else other than Tesla would do, which is show the percentage you set it to. Also I've tried a few times to set up charging so that it simply charges the car any time I plug it in except during peak rates between 4PM and 9PM. You would think that would be very easy to do. But everything I've tried fails to do that.

The crappy software/UI drives me nuts since I love the performance and fun factor of the car. Fortunately, when some obnoxiously loud cammed Camaro or just about anything else pulls up next to me and gets left behind, it makes it all the UI BS more trivial. :p

It is infuriating to see how Tesla not only makes the UI worse but also misses the opportunity to do amazing things. Just get a glimpse at the 3rd party apps to see what is possible for tech/driving nerds (a large part of the Tesla population).
After the V11 debacle, I am more and more convinced that Tesla spends too much efforts on the FSD rather than focusing on making great EV, as they used to. In fact, if you start from the POV that the car will drive itself then all the UI weirdness starts to make sense. For example, why do you need energy app if you don’t have any control over how the car uses the energy? Why do you care about blind spot window if the car decides when to change lanes?
I just wish there was a way to stop the software from updating itself.

Reactions: SDRick and kavyboy
Looks like Palladium S/X are getting their Energy Graph back on firmware 2022.36 :D but now with more information and a major UI update as it will now display the energy consumption of your vehicle while driving and while parked, and you will now see which components consumed the most energy, including environmental conditions and will also get personalized suggestions to improve efficiency:

FdWtdgDUYAAnpIj
FdWtdgGUYAMgMNA

Also "Occupancy History" (Busy Times Graph) for Superchargers.

Source: Teslascope on Twitter:

Looks like Palladium S/X are getting their Energy Graph back on firmware 2022.36 :D but now with more information and a major UI update as it will now display the energy consumption of your vehicle while driving and while parked, and you will now see which components consumed the most energy, including environmental conditions and will also get personalized suggestions to improve efficiency:

FdWtdgDUYAAnpIj
FdWtdgGUYAMgMNA

Also "Occupancy History" (Busy Times Graph) for Superchargers.

Source: Teslascope on Twitter:

Wow! This is really good news! I'm actually really excited about a change, which hasn't happened in ages. Hopefully those of us in older cars will get this.
🕺

Reactions: Art VandeIay
Wow! This is really good news! I'm actually really excited about a change, which hasn't happened in ages. Hopefully those of us in older cars will get this.
🕺

You're totally right!!!
I was so excited for Palladium owners which have been living without an "official" Energy Graph for so long, that I completely forgot that my wife and I are a 2 Legacy Tesla household :oops:...

As you very wisely highlighted, I hope this new Energy Graph also gets deployed for vertical screen S' and X's!

You're totally right!!!
I was so excited for Palladium owners which have been living without an "official" Energy Graph for so long, that I completely forgot that my wife and I are a 2 Legacy Tesla household :oops:...

As you very wisely highlighted, I hope this new Energy Graph also gets deployed for vertical screen S' and X's!
I doubt it. Legacy cars only get features removed, not added. The latest one being the radar.

Reactions: kavyboy
I do not understand the need for the app. In thev40k+ miles, I would have never benefitted from it. What do people use it for?
I use it all the time as my default display in the right-hand portion of the instrument cluster. It shows (1) accurate range based upon your actual driving conditions and behavior, for the period of averaging you choose; (2) when used together with navigation, the forecasted battery state of charge at the end of the trip, compared with the actual SOC as you drive (I refer to it periodically as the trip proceeds, not displayed continuously); (3) amount of regenerative braking restriction you have in cool weather; and (4) a visual graph of energy consumption (in 2 places, 2 sizes, you choose). Honestly, who would not use this all the time, especially on trips or in the winter? The battery SOC display is often called the guess-o-meter for a good reason. And yes, you can probably manage without the neat graph of actual vs. forecasted battery SOC when navigating. But I know of no other place in the car to see the display of the regen braking limit. (It also shows any acceleration limit but that is less of a concern.)
I share the OP's concern about the lack of this function on the new cars and would be quite annoyed if I had bought a new car and found it absent.

I share the OP's concern about the lack of this function on the new cars and would be quite annoyed if I had bought a new car and found it absent.

I am annoyed by the absence of this and the lack of the ability to customize the IC currently. There were so many advantages to updating to a Palladium S over the Raven S that were not just software related, although I don't want to hijack this thread, so I won't go into them here (and I'm sure its been covered in other threads). I am excited to see one of my main annoyances getting fixed (energy app).