Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon gives me Cat Quest but no Energy app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I liked the Energy screen on my M3P. Noticed it was missing on my 2022 Model S. Found out that despite no icon I could launch Energy using verbal commands. Now with the latest software update the Energy App is gone. Come on, you spend time to develop Cat Quest but delete practical apps? You add blind spot monitoring and put the window on the bottom of the display so you have to look down away from traffic to see it? Do Tesla engineers even own a car to not know what drivers want? If anyone knows how to pull up the Energy app now, please let me know.

Love driving them but I shake my head at the clumsy and poorly thought out software. At least Elon now admits the tech in the cars meeds improvement, which hopefully means positive change is coming.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your car has a firmware before 2022.20.x, you can use the microphone and say something like "Open energy graph" to view it in the refreshed S & X.

2022.20.5 removed that option. Hopefully it will return in a future release, along with a button to enable it like we could on previous vehicles.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
First off, thanks for the tip. I just tried it in my weeks-old Plaid and the magic-word "energy!" does the trick. I hypermile pretty much all the time and I've used that app full time in two previous Model S's to train myself and keep an eye on conditions.

I noticed that y'all are talking about software versions that are much higher than the V11 (2022.16.3) that's in my car. The car thinks it's up to date. I'm wondering -- are those of you who are on 2022.20.x on the FSD beta, or have you elected "advanced" in the software-update preferences?

Just curious -- I kinda like being a little behind the bleeding edge. That just seems like a lot of versions higher.

I originally posted here about finding the lost energy screen by voice command. It really ticked me off when they removed it in the last few versions.

I used it quite often. I liked to see how my actual driving compared to what it originally estimated for my trip. It was also nice to see what my current energy consumption was and the impact on my range. Really a stupid to remove and it and not have some sort of replacement.

I don't see anyway now to get my instantaneous energy consumption. Trips doesn't really cut it here.

If your car has a firmware before 2022.20.x, you can use the microphone and say something like "Open energy graph" to view it in the refreshed S & X.

2022.20.5 removed that option. Hopefully it will return in a future release, along with a button to enable it like we could on previous vehicles.
We got 2022.20.6 yesterday and the ability to turn on the energy graph is still missing.

Dang. My car musta been reading this thread. It realized it was behind the times and updated to 2022.20.6 last night. No more energy graph. I can get long without it, but we do miss the trip version of the graph (where it lays actual consumption on top of the projection made by the route planner). I hope will return...

Why fix what wasn't broken? These are the types of things that just irritate me for no good reason. It also ensures I'll be looking at the competition a lot more closely when I decided to replace one of my Teslas.
Yeah, same here. It's not really any one thing by itself, but the last few years Tesla's design/UX decisions seems have gone off the deep end - getting rid of all the commonly accessed controls/apps in V11, prioritizing games and entertainment that you use rarely over features that are useful all the time, the tiny little horn button, etc. Maybe they just decided that they don't need product managers and product designers, and engineers just started making all the design decisions with Elon cheering them on with the wild ideas.

On the bright side, I've figured out how to get along without the graphs. I give the voice command "show trips" every once in a while to figure out how consumption is going (especially looking at mileage for this charge and overall) and use the mileage-remaining estimate at the bottom of the Navigate window to learn how I'm doing against the original estimate for the trip.

Reactions: SDRick