Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon has learned his lesson from the Model X and applied it to the Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We love our X too and have owned it all but 3 years. Was planning to buy a Model 3, but timing on the dual motor version didn't work out with when we needed to purchase a new car and I've converted my M3 reservation (which Tesla has been hounding me about) to a MY pre-order.

The X still has its place and I don't see the MY impacting it too much. Some people want the bit larger car and a mostly usable 3rd row. Higher performance, etc.. The doors still have a coolness factor for some. I like the FWDs but also have some issues with them. All things considered, the X has been one of the best cars I've ever owned -- definitely top 3.

I'm really looking forward to the Tesla pickup and hopefully a large SUV as well as a utility van built on the same platform.

We love our X too and have owned it all but 3 years. Was planning to buy a Model 3, but timing on the dual motor version didn't work out with when we needed to purchase a new car and I've converted my M3 reservation (which Tesla has been hounding me about) to a MY pre-order.

The X still has its place and I don't see the MY impacting it too much. Some people want the bit larger car and a mostly usable 3rd row. Higher performance, etc.. The doors still have a coolness factor for some. I like the FWDs but also have some issues with them. All things considered, the X has been one of the best cars I've ever owned -- definitely top 3.

I'm really looking forward to the Tesla pickup and hopefully a large SUV as well as a utility van built on the same platform.

I think the people like me who bought the Model X 5-seater are interested in the Y. 99.9% of the time it is just my wife and I. I am on a lease that expires in May 2011, so the timing may work out.

Elon has said it many times in the past few years, and said it again last night; that Tesla overreached with the Model X by trying to do too much (Falcon Wings, huge windshield, powered doors) at once and making it too different from the car it was supposed to be based on (the X only shares about 30% of its parts with the S).

The Model Y is like the “anti-X”. It will share about 70% of its parts with the 3. It has no radical new features. Fundamentally, the only significant differences are that the Y is slightly larger, has an optional third row, and a hatchback. It will very likely have the same battery pack and drivetrains that the 3 has.

Tesla will be able to take all the manufacturing lessons it has learned from the 3 and apply them when building the Y production line. So Tesla will be able to ramp Y production much more quickly and won’t face the problems it had in 2018 with the 3. The current battery pack and motor production lines for the 3 can simply be expanded for the Y.

I think that within 3 years Tesla will be selling far more Y’s than 3’s.

While I agree in principle, man do I love the falcon wing doors on my Model X... Same thing goes with the powered front doors as well... Use them all of the freaking time and they're great... LOL :)

Jeff

Hi,

keeping the X beyond the end of warranty period might be an expensive option, precisely due to the magnificent FWD.

Can you point me to any stories of expensive FWD failures? There must be plenty of Xs out of warranty now.

My wife is really disappointed the Y doesn't have FWDs, as am I.

Still at least it makes the X unique, with a clear USP.

Love the X, and my wife does also! Win-win. BMW 335 just sits and gathers dust now.

I loved our 335, took ours on the best roads Europe has to offer. Probably the pinical of combustion car evolution, given even the most recent M3 still is using essentially the same engine block.

But compared to the X its just another museum piece, much like my old iPod Mini I found in the junk draw recently.

Good for memorials but not much else these days....

14779273880_68aa9ecf57_z_d.jpg

I think the people like me who bought the Model X 5-seater are interested in the Y. 99.9% of the time it is just my wife and I. I am on a lease that expires in May 2011, so the timing may work out.
2011 then you need the MCU 42 Flux Capacitor upgrade.
Joking aside, I wanted a 3, but with large dogs it didn’t work out. An Y is perfect for me, so the X goes back in.

Hi @gangzoom,

sorry about only getting back to your question:
Can you point me to any stories of expensive FWD failures? There must be plenty of Xs out of warranty now.

My wife is really disappointed the Y doesn't have FWDs, as am I.

Still at least it makes the X unique, with a clear USP.
after more than a year.

In fact, it might have been a question of being over-cautious!

Since I wrote my post here we have cancelled our MY reservation/order (which was for the now unavailable LR RWD), and will probably keep the MX for a very, very long time.

Our motivation to cancel, and to keep the MX, was partly based on the extremely poor trade-in values reported in Europe. Our idea was to accept a vehicle that did not offer all the bells and whistles of the MX, but would easier fit into the garage of our Italian home - but we had (too) optimistically counted on having to upgrade from the basic MY reserved to a Performance model + options in order to "break even" and not have the local Tesla Store pay us money to swap cars.

As is often the case, reality is different, and the prospect of having to cough up a really considerable sum of money to leave our nice and comfortable MX, with its panoramic windscreen, non-vegan leather interior in a color we like, free, unlimited supercharging and premium connectivity, and drive away in a more modern, but smaller MY where the only interior choices are black or white "leatherette" seats, where the front windshield is not really much higher than in other vehicles, and where we would have to pay for every kilometre driven after the first 1,500 + 10 EUR monthly to continue the Premium Connectivity did not really appeal to us - so we left our spot in the reservation queue for someone else - and we are hopeful that we have made the right decision.

Normally we would have reached 80 K km sometime during the summer of 2020, but Covid-19 changed that, and the MX will go into its final checkup in March 2021 at 65,500 kms - at which time we count on having the TSB for the front driveshafts done, and hope the FSD HW 3 + MCU2 swap will have become available for our VIN.

Another factor leading to this choice is also that we only use the vehicle for 6 months/year, and getting into a new vehicle on those premises doesn't make much sense. Even if the first European MY will probably become available during the summer of 2021, it's not a wise idea to get the first units from a brand-new production unit.

So we'll hope the FWD do not act up, and continue our maybe a little schizophrenic vehicle experience, swapping back and forth every six months between the 2017 MX, a pinnacle of high-tech ecology, and our 2000 Chevy Suburban LS which is probably as far as you can go in the opposite direction - but both vehicles have their qualities and charm, in the right places.