Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon hints he'll buy back shares and "taking Tesla private"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Crossposting from the "fact or fiction" thread because this article is basically fact, and relevant...

There’s a big problem with Elon Musk’s plan to take Tesla private

Ignore most of it but focus on this:

Tesla doesn't really have a problem with producing quarterly financial reports. Tesla has a problem with short-sellers, options traders, stock speculators, noise traders, etc. Delisting the company solves the problems, even if the company is technically "public" for reporting purposes.

I hope that this is Tesla's plan: remaining "public" for SEC purposes but delisting the shares and imposing a restriction so they can't be traded (adding a right-of-first-refusal for any sales like SpaceX has).

This would eliminate all the noise trading but retain full transparency.

Doesn't everyone in SpaceX own shares, or at least options? That's 5000+.

Ok, but I cannot characterize that as a "big problem". They're not losing money. Maybe that's "sad", but not a problem - there's nothing they have to solve or workaround in order to not lose their retirement. The way the threads have read, it's like "what are these poor retirees going to do who've lost their investment??" They haven't. Thanks for the clarification, @mongo.

Speaking only for myself, I feel like I have an investment today that has a 10x or better future ahead of it, over the next 10-15 years. It's that 10x that I'll be losing, as I don't have an alternative investment already in mind that I believe has that kind of future. I've done my due diligence, and I've found my long term investment, and I'm in it.

From past experience, it's realistic that it might take me 10 years or more (and several years is likely) before I next find something that I have the same level of conviction in. That past experience being that I've had about 5 investments with this level of conviction ever, but can be realistically thought of as being over the last ~15 years or so. (And 3 of those 5 have been different purchases of Tesla :)).

For me at least, that's the "big problem".