Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon in Munich on Jan 30, 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@AIMc:
The performance-upgrade is not supposed to make the car go faster. Just handle better at higher (Autobahn) speeds. (Bare necessity if you ask me...) You would however sacrifice a bit of comfort to get it.

Thanks. Surprises me though. I thought that one of the main selling points in Germany was 130+ mph on the Autobahn

Thanks. Surprises me though. I thought that one of the main selling points in Germany was 130+ mph on the Autobahn

I don't think there is a way to significantly raise the top speed without regearing the transaxle.

Elon and JB specifically stated that the 'autobahn' package was handling-only and there will be no top speed increase. A top speed increase is impossible without completely changing the design of the single speed fixed gear powertrain.

I guess you could make the thing go faster just by allowing the motor to rev faster, but I don't see the point. The gain would not be such that you could compete with the Mercs, Audis and BMWs here on the Bahn and you really loose range going this fast. I see it as a sacrifice for going electric.

To be honest, I drive the car now with maximum comfort settings. The roadholding of a Non-Plus P85 on 19" at Autobahnspeeds is not really trust-inspiring. Its hard for me to see it as a real performance car. I see it as a fast accelerating luxury sedan. Sure its nice to do topspeed now and then, but it floats in a strait line and I now back off when the twisty bits start. The cars I drove up untill now made all the more fun in those twisty bits. A Tesla could also, but it somehow doesn't.

I'm with Johann when he states that 213 is plenty fast. Acceleration is awesome and I enjoy it every day. But I can't wait to hear the first experiances from people who did the AB-update...

It's already turning 16,000 RPM, I'm not sure how much faster it's actually designed to turn. Plus without increasing the voltage of the pack the motor won't have much torque at higher RPM's to produce any power.

Right, if it goes too fast it will fly apart. And the back EMF will make it harder and harder to push power in. Between the two things I think it's unlikely Tesla would increase motor RPMs above what it is now.

@ PWillemse
I believe the Plus-package deals with a lot of the handlingissues.

When I bought the car, I thought that it wouldn't suit the car, this plus-pack.( A big two-ton-plus car with hard suspension settings. Nimble sportssedans only go as far as the M3, sizewise, imho. I never did "get" a AMG S-class LWB. Or the rearspoiler on the P85 for that matter. ) At the moment I'm not so sure anymore. A normal BMW 530d without any suspension upgrades really flies on the autobahn. The same goes for a Audi or Mercedes. This also should have been possible with a Model S, looking at the low centre of gravity and the effort they put in designing the suspension. As soon as the tyres wear out, I'm going to take a long hard look at the rubber I'm putting on next.

@ Doug & JRP
I agree in keeping it the way it is, regarding topspeed. I think that allowing the engine to rev 10% higher, giving the car a topspeed of about 235kph, would not make the car more desirable. I guess it would drop the range to about 80km (50 miles). And then you would get overtaken by Golf GTI :)

I figured out of they changed the current 9.73 gear ratio to 8.73 that should allow 150mph top speed. Obviously acceleration times would take a hit, but maybe it could be an option for those who care more about top speed than 0-60 times. It should not be that difficult to have a different set of gears built, most differentials and transaxles have a number of optional ratios.

I figured out of they changed the current 9.73 gear ratio to 8.73 that should allow 150mph top speed. Obviously acceleration times would take a hit, but maybe it could be an option for those who care more about top speed than 0-60 times. It should not be that difficult to have a different set of gears built, most differentials and transaxles have a number of optional ratios.

This would also reduce range.