Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon, Lutz on Letterman

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Musk on Letterman

Pretty disappointing episode. Letterman talked too much and satisfied his urge to pontificate and clown which forced Elon to react and speak too fast. Certainly no earthshattering announcements despite Elon's attempts at the end.

Pretty disappointing episode. Letterman talked too much and satisfied his urge to pontificate and clown which forced Elon to react and speak too fast. Certainly no earthshattering announcements despite Elon's attempts at the end.
I was thinking about what Elon was going to say at the end when Letterman cut him off -- I think he was probably going to talk about the fact that maintenance on an EV is so much cheaper than for an ICE that the price is really closer to a $35,000 Ford. Or, he could have gone into the leasing option. I DVR'd it, so I plan on watching it again to see if I can glean any additional nuggets.

Overall, it went about as I expected it to -- these shows are very tough venues to say anything of substance. But keep in mind, ANY discussion of Tesla, the Roadster (which Letterman, a noted car nut who has his own Indy car team, gushed over), the Model S etc. on a show as widely seen as Letterman is a HUGE feather in Tesla's cap. And when they finally brought out the Model S and Elon announced the starting price as $49,900, the crowd started to spontaneously applaud (definitely not in response to the "applause" light because they soon stopped).

For those of us who see/read everything on the Model S it was a waste of time. But for those who want Tesla to succeed and get wider noteriety and publicity, this was a very big step in that direction. Elon acquitted himself nicely and went with the flow of the conversation. Unfortunately, this isn't Charlie Rose or some other in-depth interview, so his answers were appropriately concise.

Here's a picture from the end. The crowd sounded excited to see the car!

vlcsnap1445195i.jpg

Nice pictures - thanks! I was getting poor reception tonight, but there wasn't much substance to this episode anyway. Too bad they didn't mention the reservation opportunity or their website...and I might never know what the "very important point" was that Elon didn't get a chance to say before they ran out of time and Letterman had to insert one last bit of silliness. Maybe they didn't want him to say it because it was off script... It was great to see the car rolling in at the end though.

Last edited:
I thought it was great. I put on my "Average Joe" hat.

I learned a lot about how EVs are good now.
I learned the how the MAN has been keeping them from us.
That the new batteries make a car that will not shock you or drive like a golf cart.
That GM is stupid for not making the EV2 and EV3 and is in trouble for not doing this.
That Dave (probably) has one of these cars.
That the electric cars can look cool.
Dave liked the girls more than the silver car.
I wonder what that guy was going to say?

Last edited:
My personal observations.

Dave's second serious question was a long tailpipe one. Totally great to kill the lie right off the bat.

GM was stomped on. Dave mocked the 40 mile travel of the volt as if that was all it could do (!!!) He even said it was Crap. He was on a serious rant.

After the commercial when the Model S came out Dave flirted with the girls then grabbed the steering wheel like he was getting shocked. That was majorly lame and a real turnaround of stupid-silliness after his earlier serious rant. I think he decided or was directed to lighten up after the earlier tirade against the auto industry.

Interesting (unfortunate) that Elon used the $49K number without attaching the Feb rebate. At first I thought that was going to be his followup statement but I would not think that would qualify as "the most important thing to know about this car" Perhaps he was going the make that big announcement.

Best moment. Curtain rises to the oohs and aahs (mostly oohs) of a primed audience on a gameshow. Imagine that moment when the curtain opens and the announcers says. "You could win this new car! Very flattening camera angles chosen.

Last edited:
Watching it again, it was actually pretty good considering the type of show it is. The only bad parts are that Elon didn't finish his important point again (and I'd say that about the price being equivelent to a $35k car) and that he didn't get to mention that people could pre-order now. Other than that they covered some solid ground, and the crowd seemed to like the car and price.

Great pictures. How do you get them so clear?

I am certain Elon will provide the important point later, although we probably already know what it is.

Letterman's silliness was distracting. However, he did demonstrate a good understanding of EVs and the 40-mile battery range on Volt, which will educate a lot of people. It would have been great if they discussed differences between BEV and serial/parallel hybrids.

Great pictures. How do you get them so clear?
I have a little $20 USB dongle for picking up over-the-air HD/DTV. The software has a little frame capture button that I pressed a few times while watching the show. The frame caps are just JPEGs converted directly from the 1080i MPEG-2 data stream, so they have the same 1920x1080 resolution.

EDIT: Oops, I see Rarity beat me too it. That's what I get for not refreshing the page.

Last edited: