Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon, Lutz on Letterman

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Show Recap: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - Show #3105

ACT 4:
ELON TESLA
: the CEO, Chairman, and Product Architect of Tesla Motors. This Elon guy is something. He made lots of dough in the internet craze of the 90s and early 00s. He's now in the Electric Car business. Currently, the Tesla Roadster is the only electric car highway-capable for sale in North America. It goes from 0-60 in under 4 seconds. It's twice as efficient as the Toyota Prius and delivers 244 miles per charge. Oh, and it goes for $100,000. Of course with new technology it takes time for the price to come down. But you never have to pay for gas! 1,300 have been sold. It's the lithium ion batteries that have been the biggest breakthrough in electric cars.
The prototype of the Tesla Model S was unveiled last month but won't be available for a couple years. It'll sell for $49,900 and it has the sporty look, is good size, and has the pep on the pedal we desire. Elon has said it accelerates more quickly than his Porsche Turbo. The Tesla Model S is driven on stage. What struck me during rehearsal was how quiet the car was. At first I thought it was in being pushed by stagehands but there were no stagehands pushing.
What has taken so long to make an efficient electric car? Electric cars have been around as long as the gas-powered car. General Motors had created the EV1 back in the 90s and those who leased them were very happy with the product. But when the lease was up, GM took them back and crushed them. Why? Elon isn't sure but blames most of it on stupidity. One can only wonder where we would be today if GM pursued the EV2 and the EV3.
Were you curious to take a look under the hood of the Tesla Model S? Yeah, I was too but I'm told there was nothing there. All the electric parts are housed in an insulated compartment
Tesla Motors
I want to hear more from this guy. How can this not be a huge success? Can anybody from Exxon let me know?

I wonder what that guy was going to say?

Well, I guess we will never know what that "very important point" was...

Tesla Sedan on Letterman on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
At the end, when Elon shares the price of the car, he says twice that there is a “very important point” but Letterman gets distracted by the ladies and his electric car antics… and so it ends with a cliffhanger.

I had to ask Elon, and here it is:
“I was trying to say that the Model S is really only about as expensive as a Ford Taurus when you figure in the gasoline cost savings!”

Last edited:
He won't try to defend it. He's repeatedly stated that it was a mistake but made on financial grounds. He defends the decsion well and quickly segways into discussion of the Volt.

Honestly, I hope Dave isn't a complete ass to Lutz, a lot hinges on the Volt being successful IMO.

I wasn't much into the EV scene back then, and I'm not a techie (well when it comes to battery packs and other things related to EVs anyways), but I think the commenter was more referring to, why could a car 10 years back have the technology to do more than the car that's 2 years away?

Does it have something to do with them selling off the battery technology to an oil company?

It is a bit of an apple/oranges comparison given that the EV1 was a dedicated EV and the Volt is a PHEV carrying around the weight of an ICE and generator.

Also the EV1 ~may~ have been losing money on each produced and GM might have been making it as a proof of concept ( & answer to CARBs demands for small numbers of ZEVs ) never indended to go into mass production. The Volt is a bit of a different story where they really must make a profit on them given their very precarious financial situation now and their need to prove to the government that it can be a profitable product line.

Last edited:
Also the EV1 ~may~ have been losing money on each sold and GM might have been selling it as a proof of concept ( & answer to CARBs demands for small numbers of ZEVs ) never indended to go into mass production.

I hate to keep reminding you all that GM never sold ANY EV1s. They were leased, never intended to be let go, always under control. There is some understanding that GM and Big Oil had some agreement, too, so bigger cars and trucks, SUVs, the Hummer, etc. got pushed, while the EV1 was hidden, poorly advertised, and recalled. There were only 800 leased, with many on waiting lists, willing to pay to keep this fantastic technology, but it was not "financially" in line with GM's policies. That an oil company bought the competing battery is another issue.
I personally see GM making the Volt a gas engine hybrid so it can keep its service departments busy and use gasoline. I think that people that buy it will like it, until they try a true electric like the Tesla, one with range, power, looks. GM talks and advertises lies about electrics, and now they have to try to defend their Volt. Good. I hope Dave studies the facts before hand.

I personally see GM making the Volt a gas engine hybrid so it can keep its service departments busy and use gasoline. I think that people that buy it will like it, until they try a true electric like the Tesla, one with range, power, looks. GM talks and advertises lies about electrics, and now they have to try to defend their Volt. Good. I hope Dave studies the facts before hand.

Lump me in with the conspiracy theorists, but I tend to agree. This whole hybrid/generators crap is just silly. Let's not dip toes in the water... let's jump in. If little ole' Tesla can do it -- why can't they?

Something looks familiar here.

3551029498_72a8e2dc0a_b.jpg