Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon, Lutz on Letterman

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dave spent a good amount of time giving the background on how he bought a Roadster, and how he had Elon on the show. Going over his misunderstanding of the Volt, etc. Seems like during the interview with Lutz, they said Tesla more often than they said Volt.

"The Tesla"
3551060154_aa6e46995f.jpg

Some screen caps here: Lutz on Letterman screen caps - a set on Flickr

Last edited:
I hate to keep reminding you all that GM never sold ANY EV1s. They were leased, never intended to be let go, always under control. There is some understanding that GM and Big Oil had some agreement, too, so bigger cars and trucks, SUVs, the Hummer, etc. got pushed, while the EV1 was hidden, poorly advertised, and recalled. There were only 800 leased, with many on waiting lists, willing to pay to keep this fantastic technology, but it was not "financially" in line with GM's policies. That an oil company bought the competing battery is another issue.
I personally see GM making the Volt a gas engine hybrid so it can keep its service departments busy and use gasoline. I think that people that buy it will like it, until they try a true electric like the Tesla, one with range, power, looks. GM talks and advertises lies about electrics, and now they have to try to defend their Volt. Good. I hope Dave studies the facts before hand.

Oh please.

With its unique design, the volume, and the process to build it the EV1 had to cost like a Ferrari to make. They leased it as if it cost $40,000.00.

Lease assumption letter

Lease payments between $299.00 and $499.00 a month will not pay for an $80,000.00 car.

It's pretty obvious that GM lost money on each EV1 they built.

Many new car lines without even such a radical technology lose money for a few years. Amortization is common in mass production.

If it sells for less than the marginal cost to manufacture it they'd better get the manufacturing costs down PDQ. You amortize the engineering and tooling costs.

Occam's razor. Napoleon's dictum.

Last edited:
Bob Lutz on Letterman

Last night Bob Lutz went on Letterman's show to set him straight on the Chevy Volt. This was a more informative discussion. In part one, Letterman sets the tone of the interview and also talks a bit about his experience with his Tesla Roadster. Here are the youtube clips (thanks to whoever uploaded this):

Part 1: [watch in HD]

Part 2: [watch in HD]

Part 3: [watch in HD]

Last edited by a moderator:
Would like the Model S to have been the comparison to the Volt in conversation.

It was all very good for the EV in general, was kinda upset that Bob got in his "really important" comment when Elon did not because Dave was doing shtick.

I would say if you follow all the "backstories" there was a lot of "reading between the lines" you could do with the stuff Mr. Lutz said.

A few observations/opinions:

#1: He doesn't take personal responsibility for GMs past failings even though he is a spokesman of theirs now.
#2: He spins GMs push for SUV & Hummers to a failing of the government to keep gas prices high enough. (how's that for passing the buck)
#3: He really isn't convinced that the Volt is a vehicle people really want. (He has to walk the line between showing their "green" side without suggesting bad things about their existing non-hybrid product line)

He misspoke a few times including saying that GM is a private company...
(Oh wait, maybe he was predicting the near term future :eek:)

I got the impression that he would rather not have had to be on the Letterman show like this, but was probably obliged to respond to the Tesla appearance.

Moderators: Is the new title of this topic "Elon, Lutz on Letterman" really appropriate? We got a first name and a last name and it looks like someone named "Lutz Elon" was a guest.

Some alternate proposals:

Lutz & Musk on Letterman
or
Elon & 'Maximum' Bob on Letterman
or
GM & Tesla on Letterman

?

Sure wish Dave had taken the Musk interview as seriously as he did this one with Lutz. I thought Lutz did a good job, he knew his facts, did't bash Tesla or the Roadster and got to talk about the positive side of the Volt.

I'm more than happy to have the Volt succede, it'll be the perfect stepping stone to many with EV range anxiety or plug-concerns.

Sure wish Dave had taken the Musk interview as seriously as he did this one with Lutz. I thought Lutz did a good job, he knew his facts, did't bash Tesla or the Roadster and got to talk about the positive side of the Volt

Although Letterman said the Tesla was "impractical". Lutz really doesn't want to hear any downside of the Volt, and I hear him still saying the same lie about trying to sell the EV1, which never happened. The batteries were getting better, range was 160 miles (sounds familiar), but they just couldn't sell them because the batteries were so bad. And cost them $100,000 each or more. Sorry.
I never owned an EV1, but i know a lot of people who LEASED one, and they are very vocal about Bob Lutz and his bending the truth.
I also think that there will be marked differences between Volt and Model S quality, but I am very biased. (does it show??)

... I hear [Lutz] still saying the same lie about trying to sell the EV1, which never happened.
I came back to complain about that one. Something like "We had to lease because no one would buy the EV1." Dave should have said, "Watch the movie".

Dave's really pushed his EVs selling tactic of painting himself as the everyman. "I'm one of you and I too was scared of an Electric Car." He has to downplay the price of the car by showing a toy with a battery taped on top. If you think about it, anyone buying any car they are afraid to drive is silly. With all the wives tales he shoots down sardonically, he also does the "shocking" gag again this time with sound effects so it was planned in advance.
Obama does this mocking of his detractors when they say stupid things as as well. It makes people feel smart. Dave just has to keep it entertaining so that makes his message gets a bit muddled.