TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Elon mentions supplier issues

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by blakegallagher, Oct 20, 2013.

1. blakegallagher

#1 blakegallagher, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
    I am trying to find the audio/video when elon mentioned the supplier issues. I remember he gave a breakdown that some were having difficulty ramping up in time. He said something like 1 percent of them were not going to be able to scale at all.

Anyone with a better memory then me able to remember when this was? My next stop was going to be to relisten to the earnings call but was hoping I could crowd source the Tesla knowledge out there.

Thanks for any replies.

found this info at 17 mins into the conference call. I know 40k at the end of 2014 is the number that is being thrown around but it seems pretty clear hear that q1 or q2 he was targeting to have all the supplier issues worked out. He has also stated that he is getting better at under promising ... draw your own conclusions :)

2. StapleGun

StapleGun Member

He's mentioned this many times, including at Teslive I think. Couldn't find the video but I did find this audio clip with him talking about it.

3. blakegallagher

thanks for posting the clip. thats what i had found as well. I think he recently commented about it somewhere but I can not find it. I need to re watch the stanford business school interview but alas work is calling. Hearing him say they were shooting for q1 to q2 to have supplier issues worked out was enough of a reassurance for me.

4. justdoit

justdoit Member

There was a post in the Tesla Motors forum a while back in which a guy was able to have a chat with Elon in his office after some fundraiser and Elon kinda mentioned that suppliers weren't really an issue anymore. I can't find that post now but I remember it was pretty convincing and put to rest any of my worries about supplier constraints.

5. Mario Kadastik

Mario Kadastik Active Member

Story: Cool story of a Musk fan getting to hang out with Elon for 30 minutes last week | Forums | Tesla Motors

The important part of the quote:
    So the point was not an issue with battery supply, but there are some constraints for ~1% parts.

6. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

That doesn't help much, tbh.

A "1%" part might be a simple window seal, but it will still prevent the car from being shipped.

7. GSP

GSP Member

I expect that all automakers are always dealing with issues with about 1% of their suppliers. That is why they need significant departments for purchasing and supplier quality. I think it just comes with the territory when you are building automobiles.

GSP

8. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

The difference is that with window seals there are more than 4 options worldwide where one is a good option two are mediocre options and the last is a poor option.

This is a constant with all automobile OEMs. They are constantly dealing with getting the lowest bid for parts but at the same time maintaining quality.

So 1% of suppliers are getting replaced every quarter.